Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Is now a bad time to buy 26"
  • prezet
    Free Member

… or is it worth waiting to see what plays out with the 650b industry push?

svalgis
    Free Member

It’s the perfect time surely – stores and private sellers alike are basically throwing them at you.

(well, depends a little on what you’re after I suppose).

wrecker
    Free Member

26″ isn’t going away. It just isn’t.
    By all means try the 650B, and if you prefer it buy one. But 26″ wheels aren’t going to die, irrespective of what Specialized do.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

When they stop calling 29″ wheeled bikes “29ers” and start calling 26″ wheeled bikes “26ers”, is a bad time

jota180
    Free Member

Do you want a 650b? if so buy one, if you want 26″ buy that.
    Whatever the industry does, it won’t affect what you feel comfortable on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Naaaaaa, when has being on the ‘wrong’ bike influenced decision making.

Look at trail centers like GT, look at the Strava leaderboards, a supprising number of CX bikes! Yet the average punter is on a 5-6″ squish machine.

29ers may be better in every way, doesn’t mean some people will actualy ride them. Although I suppose the difference is a 29er is in some peoples eyes ‘fassionable’ so it’s both the tool for the job and the one to look good on.

Personaly I don’t see much of a future for 26″ except maybe in FR and dirtjumping, and maybe DH. Although the latter being against the clock will probably make it a yes/no decision rather than wishy washy ‘feel’ and oppinions.

jambon
    Free Member

Surely it depends on the riding you want to do.

Rigid/Short Travel HT (maybe single speed) and if you’re tall go big wheel.

Otherwise go with what seems to make sense and go 26″.

5″ travel 29ers just don’t make any sense to me but that’s my opinion and I know what a issue this is with folk here.

+1 on Specialized take on mountain bikes.

prezet
    Free Member

I don’t want this to turn into a 26 v 29er debate – but I know a 29er isn’t for me.

FOG

Last summer I finally bought the 26er frame I had wanted for years, which I really like, however I have been having doubts about not going 29er. I just worry that in 5 years 26in bits will be lower spec stuff as has happened when gear numbers have increased. I know this is mainly wheels tyres and forks but it could limit your choices.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t want this to turn into a 26 v 29er debate – but I know a 29er isn’t for me.

And I know a 26er isn’t for me, doesn’t mean the other 9999 26ers aren’t 🙂 Demo some without prejudice and then come back with an oppinion. Although that assumes you’ve not ridden a lot of 29ers and are simply prejudgeing them based on some 10 year old MBR mantra (do you also like risers?).

LoCo
    Free Member

No not a bad time, however I do think and it has been suggested to me that everything (big companies in the main) maybe going 650B and 29er. 😉

binners

Aren’t we forgetting something fairly fundamental here. Namely N+1

The obvious answer is ‘both’ 😀

monkeychild
    Free Member

After chuckling at one of my riding buddies swearing and hating every moment he had on a 29er at Cannock on Tues, I don’t think 26″ will die.

LoCo
    Free Member

Aren’t we forgetting something fairly fundamental here. Namely N+1

The obvious answer is ‘both’

Well N+3 as you need one of each wheelsize just to be sure 😀

kimbers

LoCo – Member

Well N+3 as you need one of each wheelsize just to be sure

shouldnt it be Nx3 or perhaps (N+1)x3

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it has been suggested to me that everything (big companies in the main) maybe going 650B and 29er.

Are we talking no 26″ Rebas next year like they did with the switch from 20-15mm, or no 26″ rebas in 10 years (like the switch from QR to 20mm).

LoCo
    Free Member

Kimbers, belt up 😛 😉

Sppon, no not from SRAM or Rockshox people, but over the next few years we will probably being seeing quite a few more changes

buck53

I think we’ll be alright for a good few years yet. The user base it’s so large that component manufacturers won’t abandon it.

Might not be cutting edge, but if that bothered you you’d already be on a 29er or 650b.

Incidentally ‘650b’ and not ‘27.5’ is really grating on me.

LoCo
    Free Member

They’ll be a fair stock of stuff for a few years, I’m still currently on 26″ but the next fs (140/160mm) will definatly be 650 (sorry 27.5 😉 )

geetee1972
    Free Member

Look at trail centers like GT, look at the Strava leaderboards, a supprising number of CX bikes! Yet the average punter is on a 5-6″ squish machine.

Really?

Not sure whether that says more about CX Bike/29ers or trail centres!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure whether that says more about CX Bike/29ers or trail centres!

It says that you spend at least two thirds of the time climbing, so the fastest lap will be on a bike that climbs well and survives the decents. The bike most people will chose though is the bike that decends quickest and survives the climbs.

Sailing boats tend to be similar (but for different reasons) with a trend towards wider boats optimised for stability downwind with a lot of sail as that’s fun (and allows for big aft cabins with en-suites), whereas beating to windward is a challange to be endured (or put the engine on) rather than the narrower boats which tend to dominate on a race course with a single start/finish line, open 60’s excepted, they start finish in the same place, but sail a course mostly with the wind behind them.

Trimix
    Free Member

You need to buy a bike you like riding, not a bike the marketing tries to sell you.

grum
    Free Member

The bike most people will chose though is the bike that decends quickest and survives the climbs.

Because most people aren’t racing and just want to have as much fun as possible.

enfht
    Free Member

Do your wheels ever leave the ground?

If yes, go 26″.

If no, buy a friggin’ road bike ffs. 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The idea that 26 inch wheels are about to die is nonsense made worse by people on forums like this, chinese whispers or whatever you want to call it.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I still see 26ers being a large part, maybe the majority of the market going forward.

I am into trail centres and a good days riding means getting the wheels of the ground, for that sort of aggressive uk style riding its, 26 all the way and I’m riding a large frame. Yes you can do it on 650b or a 29er but I don’t enjoy pedalling efficiency I enjoy throwing it around (even though I mince as much as the next man).

Bigger wheels have drawbacks that the industry doesn’t like to mention such as: more weight, flex and less room for suspension and clearance has to impact geometry.

26 bikes are ace and therefore will endure.

edd

Incidentally ‘650b’ and not ‘27.5’ is really grating on me.

Actually a ‘650b’ rim is 25mm (1″) bigger in diameter than a 26″ rim. So, assuming the same tyre cross sectional area, if 26″ is 26″, then 650b should be 27″ not 27.5″.

Incidentally this would make a 29″ wheel 28.5″…

brakes
    Free Member

ignore LoCo, he’s probably invested in shed-load of 650b/ 29er specific seals or damper cartridges 🙂

buck53

Actually a ‘650b’ rim is 25mm (1″) bigger in diameter than a 26″ rim. So, assuming the same tyre cross sectional area, if 26″ is 26″, then 650b should be 27″ not 27.5″.
    Incidentally this would make a 29″ wheel 28.5″…

Stop it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Is now a bad time to buy 26"’ is closed to new replies.