Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • is my plan ridiculous? can you suggest better?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m at a loose end this saturday – the gf’s working, i’ve got the car and i can’t drum up any riding buddies. i want to get out on the bike somewhere proper, and i’m considering setting off early from north london, riding the summit at Afan for the day and then driving back afterwards.

all in all i’ll probably be lucky to keep it to 7 hours of driving for less than that on the trails when i get there. what do you reckon – is it worth it? if not, where would you suggest that will reduce the driving time but still be worth the effort?

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn’t! How about asking on here for someone to meet for a North Downs blast?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

once i have a working combination of knee and car its pretty much how i intend to spend every weekend (ohh the joys of being single) !

uplink
    Free Member

s’pose it really depends on what you consider to be a long drive – I regularly do that on a daily basis for mettings etc. so wouldn’t bat an eyelid at it

HackneyRider
    Free Member

I agree with Dez, jump on the M25 go east and head towards to Leith Hill\Holmbury Hill area (junction 8 ) – it took me 1:15 each way from Hackney last weekend…

grumm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it, but then I don’t have to. 😛

Anything over a couple of hours drive I would want to stay over and do something the next day too to make it worthwhile.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I quite often do Afan on a day raid from that London’s famous London. Best if you have two or three people on board to share the fuel costs and driving, as well as to keep you company.

Leave at about 0700, and with a decent run, you can be on the trails not long after about 1030. Tidy.

theflatboy
    Free Member

oooh, tricky – good points by one and all. i do like the north downs, but the thought of a more epic adventure does appeal.

haha – how, captain? what’s occurring? tidy.

ok, any more options or proposals than the north downs or the wales?

finbar
    Free Member

Yes, its ridiculous. Buy a road bike and go out on a ride from your doorstep.

theflatboy
    Free Member

that’s very tempting but i think anything that involved buying another bike would mean that the girlfriend would not last long…

DezB
    Free Member

finbar – Member
    Yes, its ridiculous. Buy a road bike and go out on a ride from your doorstep.

Gagh! Spit! Thats for the winter! That suggestion has changed my mind, do it, get in the car and hit the mountains.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have often driven from Yorkshire to Coed for a day’s riding by myself (don’t like riding ‘natural’ by myself in case of incident). I would do it 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m really leaning towards just going for it. bit of an adventure.

obviously if anyone wants to meet about 10.30ish and ride the summit trail then they’re more than welcome to get on board. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Not quite sure how driving for several hours to get to a trail centre qualifies as an adventure.

slimtubing
    Free Member

send out an apb for stw’ers to rendezvous at high barnet train station and drum up some new chums to ride with, there must be somebody in the dirty old town keen to go with.

DezB
    Free Member

Not quite sure how driving for several hours to get to a trail centre qualifies as an adventure

Driving anywhere alone is an adventure for me. I always get lost.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Not quite sure how driving for several hours to get to a trail centre qualifies as an adventure.

i’ve never even left london before, i’m pretty nervous 🙂

runswithscissors

Head up to Afan friday evening, B&B for night ride all day sat then drive back to the smoke sat evening….sorted!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Never left London before! LOL! 😆
    Personally, i don’t like to drive for longer than i ride, so 6 or 7 hrs in the car for a 3 or 4 hr ride is the wrong equation for me.
    I’d be more tempted to do chilterns, north downs or Swinley forest.
    Enjoy your day’s riding whatever.

phinbob

Leave Friday night, sleep in the car in the carpark get up early and have a full day on the trails…..or get yourself on the train down to Winchester and head for Brighton on the SDW (further if yoiu have the legs) and the train home…

Houns

I’ve done Birmingham to Glentress and back in a day a couple of times. I’d rather do that drive than Brum – Afan and back any day

geoffj

Leave friday night and bivvy.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve done Birmingham to Glentress and back in a day a couple of times.

Bloody hell! Thought cycling was meant to be an environmentally friendly sport! 😛

Houns

Is it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed, I thought it was about riding bikes, not some eco-statement.

uplink
    Free Member

Bloody hell! Thought cycling was meant to be an environmentally friendly sport

What? – with all those fancy imported components?

grumm
    Free Member

Nah not really – cycling to work instead of driving probably is though.

It just seems completely nuts to me to drive that far for a day trip, but then I would never live in Birmingham and it’s only 30 mins to Staveley in the Lakes for me. 😀

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Yes – ridiculous.

Instead, spend the day working out how you can move house, find a new job and live somewhere where you can ride from your doorstep.

Or, if you can’t face that – take a train. From N London you can have a nice day out in the Chilterns without wasting too much time traveling. You could get a train to somewhere like Wendover, do a big southerly loop and end up somewhere like Great Missenden and catch the train back. Lot of nice pubs for lunch in places like Monk’s Risborough, Fingest, Christmas Common, Bryant’s Bottom etc. Go buy yourself an OS map of the area today and you can spend a happy hour or two planning a route between now and the weekend.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It has the potential to be relatively low impact if practised sensibly. I reckon that’s about all you can say. 🙂

Personally, the idea of sitting in a car for 7 hours to get a few hours riding in at a trail centre strikes me as completely and utterly insane. There is no way, absolutely no way, I would do it. But hey. 🙂

You asked for a different plan. I’d take the train down from Waterloo to Leatherhead on Friday night, then ride from Leatherhead out to Tanners Hatch YHA on the edge of Ranmore and stay there, either haul supper stuff and a few beers up with me or walk into Westcott for supper. Up good and early Saturday, ride down off the hill in the morning and do a huge Surrey Hills loop finishing up in Dorking. Train back to Waterloo. Travelling time of about 2 hours, tops.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Instead, spend the day working out how you can move house, find a new job and live somewhere where you can ride from your doorstep.

easier said than done, although i am addressing this!

BD, it’s a fair point…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I agree with Dez, jump on the M25 go east and head towards to Leith Hill\Holmbury Hill area (junction 8 ) – it took me 1:15 each way from Hackney last weekend…

Did you not have to stop for an extortionately overpriced breakfast at Clacket Lane, first?

Something tells me you’ve gone and bought a silly, fast car, too.. 🙄

nicko74

Swinley? Failing that, my preferred plan for Afan is to head up there the night before, stop in a cheap B&B/ hotel (Holiday Inn Swansea works for me if you can get a cheap rate), then do a couple of rides and head back home for 8pm.
    Bish bash, and indeed, bosh.

traildog
    Free Member

That is a days driving with a tiny bit of biking thrown in to break it up. If you hardly get out of London then I can understand you wanting to go, but if it was me then I’d stay over night. Get yourself in a B&B or a Hostel, that would make it more of an adventure.
    Or ride closer to home. You have a full free day, make the most of it by maximising your riding time. I’d rather ride a mountain bike on the road than spend all that time sitting in a car!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

interesting proposals and even an offer of some beers with BD! decisions decisions…

grumm
    Free Member

I thought London was the best place in the country for mountain biking anyway – Rudeboy?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Two hours on the train from Euston:

http://www.lilybankfarmcottage.co.uk

I can promise epic rides!

theflatboy
    Free Member

oooh, tempting NDT – do a free intro day and i’ll come back on here and tell everyone how good it was! 🙂

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Go on then! When do you want to visit?

theflatboy
    Free Member

really? er… this saturday? let me just check how i’d get there!

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

If you come by train I can pick you up from Stockport. Although I bet all the cheap tickets will be gone by now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘is my plan ridiculous? can you suggest better?’ is closed to new replies.