Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is my KS LEV broken?
  • gbradley
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve had a KS LEV 150mm for about 5 months and when the height is set, the seat wouldn’t move up or down. Now though, when the height is set, the post would move up if you were to pick the bike up by the seat, but stay static if you were to sit on it.

It’s obviously not stopping me ride because when I’m using it, it works as you’d expect, but when picking it up, it’s now behaving differently from when I got it. Is that normal or are the bearings on their way out?! Anyone else had the same experience?

Cheers all
    Gareth

thepurist

Mine did that once – I just picked the bike up to carry it back up some steps & the saddle moved. I was surprised at the time but, like you, it didn’t affect the use of the post so I carried on with the ride. Unfortunately (for you) it then seemed to have fixed itself before I remembered to check it again, and now it’s back to normal again.

So all I can suggest is ride it for a bit and see what happens…

honourablegeorge

Sounds like the cable tension needs tweaking

gbradley
    Free Member

Cheers – I’ll have a good trip out on it and try again.

honourablegeorge – which cable do you think might need tweaking? I’ve taken the LEV apart to replace the actuating string when I snapped it once, but I can’t think what would allow the post to pull up, but not move down…It’s all very odd!

Thanks again

mmel
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with it. The clutch system that grips the post only works in one direction.

No need to panic

thepurist

mmel – just double checked mine and its properly locked in both directions at any height. Thought that was one of the lev’s characteristics.

gbradley
    Free Member

That was my understanding too…Maybe I should just contact KS, but don’t know if they’ve got a new UK distributor yet…I’ll check it out. Cheers all

JoeG
    Free Member

I have a Lev on 2 bikes. The one on my full suspension bike won’t pull put if I lift the bike by the saddle. Once in a while, the one on the fatbike will. I attribute this to weight; the fatbike weighs 36 lbs.

thepurist

gbradley – Jungle are ks’s new agents.

gbradley
    Free Member

Thanks Joe – has it always been like that? I’m trying to gauge if I’m about to have to send it for repair or not! Cheers

gbradley
    Free Member

Just spoken to Jungle – the guy suggested sending it in for a warranty job – 7-10 days out.

thepurist

Out of interest were they bothered about whether you bought it from a UK source or not?

JoeG
    Free Member

Yes, the one on the Fatty has done it since new. Not all the time, but once in a while. It goes right back when released, and has never been a problem. It kinda surprised me when it first happened as I’d never experienced it with the other bike.

mmel
    Free Member

Sorry chaps, only just had chance to reply

My LEV does do it, not all the time but every once in a while. It’s not on a bike at the moment so I can’t check but it’s never caused a problem and I certainly wouldn’t be sending it back because of it. When it does pull out it feels like it’s being pulled against a vacuum and as soon as it’s released it springs back down.

Just one of those things with the post I guess…

gbradley
    Free Member

Thanks mmel. That’s exactly the feeling – pulling against a vacuum. I’m planning a four day trip to Wales (first time cycling there and even trying out Bike Park Wales on the opening weekend – very excited) so I’ll leave it and see how it is after that.

Cheers all – you’ve been a great help!
    Gareth

toronte
    Free Member

Anyone has a home solution for this one? I have the same problem and it just annoys me that stuff doesn’t work as it’s intended to do.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be lifting the bike by the saddle. The i900 and i950 are fully user servicable (guides on MTBR.com). If you are happy stripping forks, you can probably do the post.

But, I repeat, I wouldn’t be lifting the bike by the saddle.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is my KS LEV broken?’ is closed to new replies.