Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is my hub fixable?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I recently bought some second hand forks and was given an old wheel to fit the maxle. The wheel is true and the spokes are good but there is some play in the hub. It's a Specialized hub maybe a 'Stout' or something not sure. Could it be that the bearings just need tightening or something? I know the hub has done a lot of miles so maybe it's past it. Cheers.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If they are cartridge bearings replace them. Mates Hope hubs had loads of play on a maxel, swapped bearings and all fine again. What bearings you will need however, don't know, sorry 🙂

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Have you put you finger in the hub and moved the bearings yourself. If they move about then its just the bearings.
    Also check the 20mm holes and enusre they are not worn.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Have you put you finger in

I'm pretty sure it's the bearings. The maxle is tight but the bearings have some play in them when I push on them and you can feel the movement when you push the wheel from side to side in the fork. It's not loads of movement but I'd like to fix it. I don't know much about bearings and it doesn't look like these are easy to remove unless they just pop out or something. Thanks.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Ok. I've found some info on this. It looks like I have to remove the end caps first with a special tool and take it from there.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

There's a fair chance the hub's gone. Because they're cup-and-cone once the bearings wear out they start eating the hub, so you end up in the situation where no matter how tight you make the hub there's always play. When you get the hub open, bin the bearings for a start and get some new ones, then inspect the races (what the bearings were sitting on) and the cones (part of the axle that keeps the bearings in places). If there are dents in the cones then they can be replaced, but if it's in the hub you'll need a new wheel as I doubt the rim is worth enough to make it economical to build a new hub onto it.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Ok thanks. It's quite an ancient wheel and it feels like there's a fair bit of play each side but I'll inspect it and look for those signs of damage. I don't think the rim is anything special and like you say It's probably not worth keeping it if the hub's shot.

edhornby

when you pull it all apart, check the cone nuts, if there is a groove worn by the bearings then chances are there will be one worn into the hub body as well. if there's a groove in the hub body then it's dead. if not, bonus 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

I had a QR specialized stout with play in the hub. Took it to my LBS and they replaced the bearings. No more play 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is my hub fixable?’ is closed to new replies.