Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is my demise imminent?
  • HughStew

I’ve just put the brake rotor back on a wheel. One of the bolts is not tightening properly – it gets quite tight and then loosens, the other 5 are fine. Is this safe / safe-ish / Ok for a pootle but not a big ride / deadly?

BTW It’s the front wheel.

clubber
    Free Member

It’ll be fine*

*probably. I’ve done this and it was fine. Some pros even ride with only three bolts. However, I’m not responsible if you do it then die in a tumbling ball of bent tubes, rotors and flesh.

binners

You’ll almost certainly die. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

*omits to mention the time he rode all day with the sub-frame hanging off. Without noticing*

nbt

Steve Peat did several races last year with only 3 bolts holding his 6 bolt rotor in place. It was hardcore riding, but then it was only for about 3 or 4 minutes.

HughStew

Cheers for the advice.
    I think I’ll risk it for a couple of hours this evening, then fix it properly.

clubber
    Free Member

One of the bolts is not tightening properly – it gets quite tight and then loosens

Hate to break this to you but you’ve probably threaded the hub so I’d get used to riding with 5 bolts 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You will die – at some point. Everyone does.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Hopefully you will be fine, my hope hoops only have three rotor bolts per hub. Five sounds excessive to me 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

I’ve had a threaded bolt on my front rotor for about a year. I’ve not died.

Steve Pete may only ride for 3-4 minutes but I bet he puts his bikes through more punishment in those minutes than most of us do in a year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is my demise imminent?’ is closed to new replies.