Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • is my bike going to be out of date soon ?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

just built up my ragley blue pig and when I went to my LBS there was talk of tapered headtubes BB30 bottom brackets and 142mm rear spacing ! and not to mention 10speed 🙁 bought all the kits for my new steed …should I be worried anytime soon ?

cheers

Richie

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

no

Jamie
    Free Member

I would bin it now.

Failing that just ride it and stop worrying.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m still running 1995 Rock Shox Judys and a quill stem.

You should relax.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

yes I do worry alot and I do tend to believe the hype abit with magazine reviews …my own fault I know !!!! 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d say that anyone who refers to their bike as a ‘steed’ deserves to have an out of date bike..

colande
    Free Member

yeah it’s all obsolete,
    i’ll give you a tenner for the lot,
    sell now otherwise you’ll never get rid 🙂

ampthill

These things only become new standards if like a herd we all buy in….

Duffer
    Free Member

I would bin it now.

Failing that just ride it and stop worrying.

Couldn’t have said it any better myself.

Any minute now, steel will become obsolete… any minute, now…

carlphillips
    Free Member

loddrick +1

tk46hal
    Free Member

Ride and enjoy it. Stop worrying about newer parts coming out, just replace worn out parts with newer versions, its what I do!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

‘salrite someone told me that my bike wasn’t suitable for dirtjumping (DMR trailstar with ‘zocchi DJ’s) from up top his high horse the seatstays looked a bit flimsy to him. Those trek fuel EX’s must be pretty tall and he must have been getting some rad-sik-to-the-max air to suffer that much oxygen deprivation!

cynic-al
    Free Member

definitely.

most of my bike is from 2003. I’m always last on rides and them there is the shame…

brant
    Free Member

The new Blue Pig will take a tapered fork, but that’s really only because I kept seeing tapered and 1.5in forks on clearance and thought it’d be nice to be able to make a steel frame that worked with them 🙂

mattbee

My current bike is based around a 1993 frame with 1998 forks, rides just as well as the 2008 bike it replaced.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

10 speed, I presume you could upgrade to at a later date, so no worries, but if you just built a bike from scratch with all new parts, maybe you should have seen that coming, the writing was on the wall many months ago, if it bothers you that much?. The Syntace 142mm (X-12) rear is no great step forward really, just a bit easier to slot the rear wheel in over 135mm. It’s still in it’s infancy yet and may die a death. Trek use it as do Cube (for a few years now), but it may not take off as a popular standard. If you’re worried about 142mm rear becoming the norm, just make sure you have/buy wheels/hubs that will adapt to it at a later date ie Hope pro2.
    The days of being able to buy a new frame and just bolt all your old bits to it without extra cost and faff, seem to be gone.

Northwind

The Mmmbop has been discontinued so I’m going to throw mine away I reckon.

Highland28
    Free Member

If you had to get the new thing every time something new came out you would be buying something new every other day, just live with it, as long as it works does it really matter?

zaskarrider
    Free Member

i still ride my 18 year old zaskar LE with judy dh’s.. and love every ride…forget the hype,put down the mags and ride ride ride 😉

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a 2006 GT Zaskar frame to replace a Brian Rourke frame that’s too wee for me.

Maybe I should just sell all my bikes now 🙁

Doug
    Free Member

The new Blue Pig will take a tapered fork, but that’s really only because I kept seeing tapered and 1.5in forks on clearance and thought it’d be nice to be able to make a steel frame that worked with them

Well done that man! 1.5″ 140mm travel F32’s can be had for under £200 quid atm 😯

donsimon
    Free Member

Yes.

mangoridebike

The new Blue Pig will take a tapered fork, but that’s really only because I kept seeing tapered and 1.5in forks on clearance and thought it’d be nice to be able to make a steel frame that worked with them

Hmm interesting 🙂 I’m seriously tempted by those tapered forks though – super cheep 🙂

keppoch

Where can I get some of the 1.5 tapered F32’s you speak of?

keppoch

Wrongun
    Free Member

Im riding a bike based around a 1993 marin frame… and its awesome.

kiwijohn

Mine is well out of date, but I keep welding it back together.

spock
    Free Member

CRC are doing the cheap Foxes

scruff
    Free Member

Steeds will soon be out of date and go the same way as Rigs. 2011 will be all about Trail Taming Beasts.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘is my bike going to be out of date soon ?’ is closed to new replies.