Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is it wrong of me?
  • organic355
    Free Member

to sit and eat my lunch at my desk while the guy I share an office with is fasting for Ramadan?

U31
    Free Member

Not really…

allthepies
    Free Member

Nope.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Edric64
    Free Member

Serves him right for believing in a God

spacemonkey

Nope – one of my mates that had the desk next to me used to do the fasting thing. He had no issues – in fact, we all used to wind him up over it and he was fine.

Some might obviously expect a little more respect though …

thepurist

It's as wrong as having a bacon sarnie for lunch with a Jewish colleague nearby, ordering roast beef when out with a Hindu or not eating copious amounts of chocolate in April with a Christian.

cranberry
    Free Member

No, it's not wrong.

For bonus points discuss with an invisible friend how extremely tasty the food is, and how much you are enjoying eating it, and how kind he is for providing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I even went out for a meal once with a bloke who was on Ramadan (not just him – it was an office meal out, 4 of us). He came along for the chat, and just didn't eat anything. Cheap date, for sure.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I met a bloke last year, who fasted for ramadam even though he wasn't a muslim. Just did it just as a will power, being in touch with your self sort of thing.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Try not to dance in his face whilst you do it.

Cougar

Is it wrong for the guy you share an office with to be fasting for Ramadan while you're sitting and eating your lunch at your desk?

You're unintentionally making him feel hungry, he's unintentionally making you feel guilty. Seems like a fair trade-off to me.

Cougar

I met a bloke last year, who fasted for ramadam even though he wasn't a muslim. Just did it just as a will power, being in touch with your self sort of thing.

I hope he washed his hands before he did eat, then.

DrJ

When I left my last job, I shared a leaving dinner with a Muslim guy. It was during Ramadan, and he insisted that no alcohol be served at the table. Out of order, IMO.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Of course not, its his choice to waste his life believing in a load of bollocks IMO, in fact you should go out of your way to make noises like your really enjoying it. Don't change your habits to suit him, doubt he would do the same for you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As long as you make loud appreciative mmmmmmm, nommm, nom , nom noises you're fine.

jon1973
    Free Member

Don't change your habits to suit him, doubt he would do the same for you.

Not sure he asked the OP to change his habits did he? don't get your knickers in a twist.

john_drummer
    Free Member

No it's not wrong. You're not the one observing a religious festival.

DrJ's colleague was bang out of order though; if he doesn't want to drink alcohol, fine, but to impose his religious views on the rest of the group is not on.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not wrong just a little inconsiderate. It's nothing like as bad as if you wanted to build a mosque on ground zero though.

khani
    Free Member

Not wrong just a little inconsiderate. It's nothing like as bad as if you wanted to build a mosque on ground zero though.
    POSTED 24 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It's not a mosque, it's a drop in centre with a prayer room, 4 blocks away from ground zero and not in sight of ground zero, and also, quite a few muslims where killed at the towers by the terrorists so do they not count as victims as well, the ira were Christians so no churches near where they killed anyone?
    A little perspective is needed methinks
    And no, I'm not a Muslim but my dad was and he wept for the victims of the towers, most are just people trying to lead their lives

Rubber_Buccaneer

Khani, it's all a matter of point of view. As I was saying in response to the OP, not wrong just inconsiderate.

khani
    Free Member

Fair enough, if it was me in dr'j s position I'd have told him where to go

giddyrob
    Free Member

Nope, it's his religion so let him enjoy starving himself over a false idol. It's a free country. As long as he doesn't expect you to join in then it's fair play. If he does, then he needs to pull his head in. IMO 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Nahh … just eat whatever you want in front of whoever you want after all we all have our human rights. 😆

So the question is who should give way?

😈

meehaja
    Free Member

My Colleague is studying some kind of social science type OU course and has just learnt all about ramadan and the ideas behind it etc. She then went into the petrol station and whilst chatting to the friendly (indian) guy behind the counter asked how he coped with working whilst fasting. He said it wasn't really a problem for him as it was 23:00 and he was Hindu.

I used to work regularly with a Muslim lad, it was great, he'd bring in loads of food from the night before's feast to share with everyone else. When I asked him wether it bothered him if people ate around him he said that it did and that it made him feel really hungary, but that was kind of the point, focusing on the suffering for his beliefs etc etc. Some quite interesting ideas towards faith for me as a non religious person.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is it wrong of me?’ is closed to new replies.