Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is it worth putting tubeless sealant in normal tubes…?
  • mike_p
    Free Member

… and if so, how? I bumped into a bunch of guys while out riding on my own a few weeks back and got discussing this after I suffered (yet) another thorn puncture… one of them said stick some sealant in, and that it worked for him.

I never thought to ask how! Anyone done it?

GW
    Free Member

well it's got less chance of squirting out between the tyre bead and rim going round corners than in a tubeless set-up 😕

tails
    Free Member

Yeah I have done this after a failed attempt at ghetto tubeless.

I did it by cutting a slit in the tube and syringing in the gunk. A better idea would be to buy schwalbe inner tubes whivh have removable valve cores like actual tubeless valves.

bassspine
    Free Member
    tonyg2003

It's dead easy. Buy some Schawble removalable core inner tubes (www.justridingalong.co.uk) and some Stan sealant. Undo the core, pore in sealant (30mls – I use an old Shimano brake fluid bottle cleaned out), no faffing and very good puncture protection. You can also run tubes at lower pressure without much issue of snakebite punctures.

inkster
    Free Member

Works a treat, can clog valves though so best to use tubes with removable cores. JRA wheel milk is thinner than stans so i'd use that if your using standard tubes.

Those puncture repair kits, [can of co2 with latex] work well but not cheap, easy to use, though got to keep the wheel spinning if you use to repair puncture and might have to pump up again later / next day, should ward off thorn punctures for 3-6 months. Best ones' are Weldite ones from Halfords, Zefal ones from Evans are rubbish, [cra**y plastic adapter that leaks everywhere].Though check pound shops as I picked up a few cans for £1 each t'other day.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I stuck stans in my tubes and went mad ofr a week in the Alps.

On returning home I swapped the tyres beck from heavy 2.5 dual ply High Rollers to Conti Verticals and noticed that the rear tube looked like it had suffered (but then sealed) at least 2 punctures.

Clearly, as I didn't realise until I looked at the tube, it must have worked whilst out riding.

I can't think how the sealant gunk could have got into my tyre other than through the tube via hole.

singletrackmind

I used to do this with Conti inner tubes from Halfrauds. They had removable cores , so it was easy to squirt in some slime/ wheel mik blend.
    I tried rinsing out the chalky residue that tubes are lined with in an attempt to keep the liquid from drying as quickly. Couldnt prove this worked tho. If you use latex it will dry within a few months and you will hear the balls of latex rattle around if you spin the wheel slowly.

At this point you need to top up or replace the tube

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Prefer to use the Puncture Resitant tubes from cyclelife.com Dutch Perfect'off-road' tyres will stop all your punctures from this site

singletrackmatt

Tyredocter please mail me matt@singletrackworld.com if you want to be a advertiser. Thread closed until you do so I imagine your not going to be popular.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth putting tubeless sealant in normal tubes…?’ is closed to new replies.