Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is it usual for new bikes with tubeless wheels to come with tubes?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Talking to LBS guy and he was surprised that I was surprised that the tubeless-wheeled road bike he wanted to sell me actually came with tubes in it and if I wanted to convert it to tubeless I’d need to buy tyres AND the valves. Quite surprised this is the case as it doesn’t seem that the price for tyres + tubes would be much different to just tubeless tyres.

My Mondraker came with a tubeless wheelset and also without tubes so it’s a bit of a puzzle that this wouldn’t

alfabus
    Free Member

was it billed as ‘tubeless’ or ‘tubeless-ready’ ?

atlaz
    Free Member

No mention at all other than the word “tubeless” on the rims.

GaryLake
    Free Member

More common than you’d think… typically if it’s sold as tubeless with UST, it will be ready to ride. If it’s ‘tubeless ready’ 9/10 there’ll be some form of aftermarket something needed, normally an actual tyre or a rimstrip kit.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Tubes are more stable (ie they hold air better) over the long periods of time that a bike spends between leaving the factory and leaving the shop.

That’s not to say some manufacturers don’t sell bikes set up tubeless to begin with.

druidh
    Free Member

Yes

tomd
    Free Member

My Trek mtb came with “tubeless ready” wheels but tubes fitted. All that’s needed was a cheap bontrager kit which the shop fitted FOC and converted it to tubeless.

atlaz
    Free Member

So cannondale say “tubeless ready” but that doesn’t mean they supply valves with the bikes (their definition of ready differs from mine but okay). I asked DT Swiss where I could buy some valves and they said “some shops or online stores will sell them”. Swiss efficiency at its best.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

My 2007 Trek came tubeless ready, but this was not true. I had to buy rim strips, so it wasn’t ready at all. Almost ready, but not ready.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Or alternatively set up tubeless but with no sealant.

honourablegeorge

My Spicy had XT wheels and Tubeless RQs on it, no rubes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I bought a bike and the wheels were set up tubeless.When I said I wanted to run tubes they said I’d have to buy my own inner tubes.
    I bought another bike and the sealant had gone off because they hadn’t changed it every couple of months whilst it was on the shop floor.
    Can’t please everyone eh![

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m now praying that nothing goes wrong with the wheelset as DT Swiss are striking me as uncommonly unhelpful, even for a bike company.

Me: There are no dealers in my country, can you recommend an online seller in France, Germany or Belgium
    Them: There are probably dealers in those countries you could look up on the internet

Oh well, back to CRC for parts then… or it would be if they had them in stock. Balls to it. I’ll stick with the tubes then until I find some

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is it usual for new bikes with tubeless wheels to come with tubes?’ is closed to new replies.