Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Is it too early for Cut Gate?
  • twang
    Free Member

Itching to get up there but is it still sloppy on top? Anyone…

phiiiiil

No, go now before it rains! I did it on Tuesday, it was perfect (if a bit breezy…)

Blower
    Free Member

Did it today,dry as foooook! 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

do it NOW!

hoochylala
    Free Member

Yep it is very dry. Rode it at weekend, was absolutely fantastic, one of the best times I have ridden it. Do it
    now! 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Winner…thats me sorted fot tomorrow then.

mrh86

Went 3 weeks ago for the first time…..best ride in a while! Quite tempted to go on saturday myself

twang
    Free Member

Its a go for cut gate weekend then, cheers all. Dont wear it out rorschach 😉 … I love cut gate me!

Blower
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/22398986[/video]

ahh spose i’d better,this is from today 🙂

smell_it
    Free Member

I had to stop watching thst clip after about a minute as it was making me feel sick, but I’m sure you had fun!

barty1
    Free Member

I rode it two weeks back on my first outing on a new bike and it was awesome if rain holds off might be up there again myself at the weekend. Then again who cares about the weather?
    Going!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Darn! I shouldn’t have watched it as my bike won’t get used this month in all likelihood.

tomdaws
    Free Member

I reckon conditions are very nearly perfect. Really dry up there today, it was fantastic !

loddrik
    Free Member

Where’s a good place to park for Cut Gate? Fancy riding it on saturday.

hoochylala
    Free Member

I find starting at the langsett end he best, free parking by the resevoir if you get there early. Ride over, drop down to ladybower res and go to fairholmes for a cuppa if you fancy it, then back over the way you have come. Means you get a great descent right back into the car park pretty much to end your ride. Bit of a climb to start though 🙂

rtb25
    Free Member

Yep – the car park at Langsett is defiantly the answer. Was in great condition over the weekend. It’s actually a fair trek down to Fairholmes, but probably worthwhile for tea and cake!

Tracey

Always do it from the Langsett end as it only 15 mins away. We have not had much rain so it should be in good condition. Away for the next three weekends or we would be up there. The Wagon and Horses do a pie Sunday twice a month which is always good finish to the ride.

jet26
    Free Member

Ah the joys of cut gate. Never ridden right down to fairholmes – usually go out from langsett then turn back at the ridge/cairn.

Is it worth the drop down to ladybower and back up?

And yes the wagon and horses is a cracker, as is the bank view cafe with doorstep slices of cake

slowrider
    Free Member

Pat, when you going? Was thinking of wharncliffe on Saturday but could do both?

hoochylala
    Free Member

Yeah going to Fairholmes certainly extends the ride. Think when I checked it using bikehile it made a route of about 20ish miles with the fairholmes extension. If it’s nice wether though it’s a lovely spin to the cafe and back. Good time for a chat 🙂

phiiiiil

Conversely I’ve always started from the Fairholmes end as if you’ve still got legs left after doing Cut Gate you can finish off with a few more trails around the reservoir…

hoochylala
    Free Member

Ah the joys of cut gate. Never ridden right down to fairholmes – usually go out from langsett then turn back at the ridge/cairn.
    Is it worth the drop down to ladybower and back up?
    And yes the wagon and horses is a cracker, as is the bank view cafe with doorstep slices of cake

Def worth it. Don’t have to go all the way to fairholmes, just drop down to the resevoir (stepping stones) then turn around and come back. Your missing half of the ride turning round at the cairn at the top. One of my favorite descents down to stepping stones and the res, or at least the last part is.

twang
    Free Member

Yep fairholmes end for me for a full day. The drop down to slippery stones is brilliant if you take the steep techy right turn. Going up sat Tom with ya dad if he’s free ( spud free 🙂 )

carlos
    Free Member

If I’m doing Cutgate I usually start at the fisheries office and head over Whitstone Lee, Drop down to Fairholmes and out and back to Langsett, over Hagg Farm, up on to Hope Cross (I think) then finish with the Beast and a pootle back along the res.

twang
    Free Member

Yep fairholmes end for me for a full day. The drop down to slippery stones is brilliant if you take the steep techy right turn. Going up sat Tom with ya dad if he’s free ( spud free 🙂 )

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Going up this neck of the woods for the first time this weekend, after seeing the video I am excited! Looks incredible! Going to be studying the map tomorrow I think. 😀

twang
    Free Member

hoochylala
    Free Member

carlos that’s quite a big day out 😮 how long does that normally take?

carlos
    Free Member

err, dunno really can’t remember. I would guess at 6hrs maybe a little more. I’m not one for stopping and starting all the time, taking pics and resting etc..

james
    Free Member

+1 for the 2 right turns near the bottom to slippery stones/packhorse bridge. The tighter left-right bit in the 2nd bit is good to ‘session’ loads of different lines too:

1st bit

2nd bit

LoveTubs
    Free Member

OOoow I’m So tempted to ditch the DIY and join in if I can…what time u meeting up?

twang
    Free Member

Woah! Triple post- point made i think..Doopid mobile phone 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

smell_it – Member

I had to stop watching thst clip after about a minute as it was making me feel sick, but I’m sure you had fun!

haha yeah camera shaky shaky,2nd time with the gopro,and my camera knowledge-skills are dire…ha

slowrider
    Free Member

He was out on the flats yesterday. A bit quicker on the downs but some comedy uphill falls, usually with bloody shins. You would think he is old enough to know better!

Andituk
    Free Member

Anyone else do it today? Was a few other bikes about.

It’s running really nice, dusty and sandy and dry, only one spot I think where it was a bit soft and damp.

loddrik
    Free Member

Any update on conditions today? Definitely heading over in the morning and need to know which tyres to throw on.

sambob
    Free Member

Fast tyres loddrik. Something like Advantage/crossmark.

Spud

Didn’t do Cut Gate, but all the trails we rode around Ladybower etc were bone dry today save for the odd puddle.

loddrik
    Free Member

Killer Bees it is then. Fastest tyres on earth! 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Killer Bees it is then. Fastest tyres on earth!

Are they good on rubble and rocks? I’m running a 2.5 Minion DHF front and an Ardent rear, a 2.25, but they come up big on Flows, and I can’t say I’d want to be running some anorexic quasi race tyre taking down Cut Gate – I pinch flatted a tubeless Ardent there are few months back, which was instructive. It’s very, very fast and there are lots of things to hit. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Is it too early for Cut Gate?’ is closed to new replies.