Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Is it time we start to do something about the classified?
  • inigomontoya
    Free Member

I've recently sold stuff – I don't post much on the forums but do lurk. I didn't get any replies to my FS thread – everyone emailed me. Just because threads aren't getting replies doesn't mean that there isn't activity.

scant
    Free Member

unfortunately since the original singletrack website went down a few years ago you can no longer check through the years of previous ads/comments to see how long any forum member has been active/trustworthy.

retrobike has a feedback section that works well. for the record, heres mine http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5798&highlight=scant

vinnyeh

Premier M's only ?, not sure, Subs Only, maybe.
    It's the same thing and I think a good call.

But why- what's the point? Drac, you don't even seem to use the classifieds- are you sure you're not just stirring?

Only 6 posts form premier members on the first 2 pages, and only 4 of those selling. Restricting would rip the heart out of them.

soobalias
    Free Member

more recently, i completely ignore WTD ads and only consider FS ads from regular forum contributors….

the stuff in my garage is only for sale to friends or friends of friends

so, feel free to remove the classifieds forum, its already causing more harm than good. Real shame as it was a great little community on here a few years back.

Drac

I don't (and you'll see that I'm a 'P')

DOH!

Drac, you don't even seem to use the classifieds- are you sure you're not just stirring?

I don't do I not. Ah ok guess the items I've bought this year got delivered by mistake but thanks for going through all my posts for the last year.

clubber
    Free Member

its already causing more harm than good

Sorry, just don't agree at all. Like anything on the internet, if you're too trusting you can get bitten but it's a huge help to me and many others.

norbert-colon

How many people have actually been scammed/ripped off on the classifieds?

If it's a large number then clearly there is a problem…and potentially something needs to be sorted…

If it's just that lots of part time traders are using them, then that's a different issue isn't it?… I can't decide if this is actually a problem or not…you can always choose not to buy from them?

vinnyeh

I don't do I not. Ah ok guess the items I've bought this year got delivered by mistake but thanks for going through all my posts for the last year.

I said 'seem'.

So, what's the problem with the classifieds the way they are if you're happy to use them?

hora
    Free Member

norbert colon I hear you. If you've been ripped off would you keep quiet out of embarrisment?

I wouldn't. However how many on here would make a noise/PSA?

Considering how easy it must be I'm surprised there isnt a post a week saying 'I've just been ripped off on STW'.

So maybe REALLY isn't a big problem.

Drac

I said 'seem'.

So, what's the problem with the classifieds the way they are if you're happy to use them?

So you didn't have a fekn clue then, who's was stirring then? 😀

I don't like the trade ads and I don't like those that only come on here to sell items. There's been the odd scammer but that'll be much harder to control. If a system could be found to reduce the traders and those that just use the forum to sell then I'd think it'll be a bit better.

However, given the amount who seem happy to use them regardless then should it really matter?

hora
    Free Member

Its all common sense to a degree. If someone posts up a for sale on a tastey 'known' popular item and they only have a limited number of posts you use your head and pass on it.

tron
    Free Member

How many people have actually been scammed/ripped off on the classifieds?

I've had a set of brakes turn up and be a completely different and inferior model to what was advertised. Eventually tracked the seller's phone number down from ads on another site and he wasn't interested in helping me out. They went on ebay and I got my cash back, but it was a load of hassle.

Had another item arrive significantly not as described (made it work approx 50% of what I'd paid for it), was resolved with the seller after putting a bit of pressure on him. From a guy who's a regular poster, isn't shoving 5 classifieds ads up a week etc.

I've yet to end up seriously out of pocket, but it's enough hassle to put me off using the classifieds unless it's someone like Ton, who is known for being a good bloke.

boblo
    Free Member

Interesting. I've bought and sold loads throught the classified adds here and so far (touch wood, fingers crossed etc), never had a problem.

Ironically, I bought a "BNIB Blackberry" from Fleabay last year and an unboxed s/h phone turned up (it even still had calls/contacts/txts etc in its memory). Now I understand Fleabay has all the protection (and more) being discussed here.

As has been said, Caveat Emptor and more, if it looks too good to be true…. I've started looking at sellers history now after all the noise on these sorts of threads.

Had a quick look at the sales before writing this post: Member since 07/09/10 selling expensive frame. first post to STW. I wouldn't buy that even if he were well known. I'd want to go and see/collect.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I've had some great bargains, using a bit of common sense.

But I can see the problem and think it could be fixed by a sticky alphebetacised feedback thread, and more of a culture of people posting to take the mick out of obvious dodgy, over-priced or badly described items. Like that muppet who kept posting an S-works frame for sale – when his post said that actually it wasn't.

firestarter
    Free Member

It's pretty simple to click on sellers history and see if you want to buy . Recently I decided against a lovely looking frame due to seller only making three posts and being miles away. But just picked up some nice brakes from a seller on only his second posting but he was local for pick up. All you have to do is weigh up the facts if you don't like it stay away 🙂 😆

Staberind
    Free Member

I'm a recent convert to classifieds, as I'd much prefer to give my dosh or sell my spare bits to someone who is as equally into 2 wheels as I, its perfect for me, plus, as many others have posited; +1 to Caveat Emptor, a feedback system would be a great idea.
    That said, Ebay is faceless and insanely priced & I just don't have the budget to buy new for my carbon, ti or magnesium addiction.

Tl;dr : Feedback, adding fee's would create a chilling effect, deterring real riders from clearing their attics/sheds here, and something a breaker/retailer would absorb with ease.

Oh, and this is my first post on here, oddly. 💡

Drac

I had a problem with an item not being what it was sold as, seller was willing to take it back and genuinely thought it was as described. Didn't matter as I kept it for another project anyway.

Other than that I've been lucky and always had good service, well apart from one person who was very slow in posting out seems he still is but he's reputation is now well known.

boblo
    Free Member

I know it's a bit haphazard, but why not post on the sellers add if you come accross it..? I'm assuming proper grown up behavior from all here…

If you come across an add from a one post, new member, call it out in response. If the add is genuine, the seller can also respond, justify etc.

If you come across an add from someone who's 'had you over', call it out.

Might get a bit silly fairly quickly mind…

clubber
    Free Member

Seems to work on retrobike just fine…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I've bought and sold a bit on there and have had a couple of occasions where i've had to do a serious amount of chasing and research to get a result. Mainly because the person concerned was lazy / assuming than out and out scammage, but you shouldn't have to do it.
    Ideally it would be good to have a rep or feedback system, but who would manage / monitor it?
    Also how about when posting in classifieds you'd need to put your address aand contact details on the initial ad posting that was only visible to mods. But again who monitors / verifies them?
    How about a posse of voluntary mods for the classfieds only who can perhaps take the weight of the true mods shoulders? I'd be happy to assist if it was considered worthwhile.

maxlite
    Free Member

I think a maximum number of posts in a month would work, I've had some great bargains and the only problem I've had was the guy selling loads of Sram cassettes…..still had money back tho.

Not much traffic at the moment on classifieds, maybe they are all waiting for their tax bills……….money is tight lately 🙁

tron
    Free Member

but who would manage / monitor it?

Why would it need to be managed or monitored?

If Surf-Mat's feedback thread is suddenly filled with "I bought some forks off Mat but the forcefield of awesomeness zapped and killed my chihuahua" then it can be reported to the mods. I seriously doubt the mods read 10% of the drivel that's spouted on here, and instead rely on the reporting system.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surely the obvious thing is just to post on the thread if you are happy or not. That way a quick search of that persons posts shows their trading history with feedback.

Coyote
    Free Member

Leave them as they are. I've bought stuff of there and it's generally worked out OK.

It's a 2nd hand market place so there will always be an element of risk. The factor or perception has to be taken into account. For example one person's "mint condition" may be another's "reasonable condition". Likewise "perfectly sercivable" may be "3 months till it falls apart".

If you don't feel able to cope with disappointment or can't employ the tactics mentioned above to mitigate any risk then don't buy from there. Easy. Why do some people always need protecting from themselves and the harsh reality that life isn't always a bunch of roses?

bigyinn
    Free Member

TJ, its all very well expecting people to post on the sale thread, but half the time they don't even have the courtesy to tell you they've received their stuff, even when you've asked them too.
    Anything that requires someone to do something for themselves inevitably doesnt happen. (Although I ALWAYS do).

Woody
    Free Member

more recently, i completely ignore WTD ads and only consider FS ads from regular forum contributors….

Why ignore 'wanted' ads. Surely they are more likely to be from genuine people and it might just jog someone's memory about a bit of unused kit that's been gathering dust and will be useful to another biker and give you a few ££££ for other bits that you need.

Tiger6791

Seems to work on retrobike just fine…

Well, lets look at this realistically and perhaps a bit cynically.

Retrobike is a hobby site that some fella set up in his spare time and I agree it's better but I suspect it has a different agenda. I suspect it generates a bit of revenue to pay for the hosting and maybe a bit on the side? Who knows?

STW is a commercial concern, pay staff, make money, pay for hosting upgrades etc.
    All those extra users that register just to post in the classifieds are still registered users.

Advertisers like two stats (registered users & traffic) The classified generate a lot of the above at present.

Restricting (read improving) the classifieds will reduce both of the above and could hurt ad revenue.

Therefore I don't think it will change.

I could go more into the lifecycle of an online community and how quality traffic and advocacy can create more long-term worth than just users and hits but the world isn't ready for that yet 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Advertisers like two stats (registered users & traffic) The classified generate a lot of the above at present.

Got the stats to back that up?

tron
    Free Member

Got the stats to back that up?

And the descent into googling, quoting articles and general bitterness begins 😆

cpon
    Free Member

I've listed a bike within the classifieds section without being much of a contributer to the chat forum.

And whilst I love cycling, joining in on endless debates on the pleasures of singlespeed or offering my view on what's best 'this or that' won't interest anyone in the slightest.

So I'd prefer just to watch from the sidelines and when the time comes to offer STW members a good deal on a used bike via the classifieds before I list it on eBay.

A lively classified section is better for all than a closed shop isn't it.

nockmeister
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Surely the obvious thing is just to post on the thread if you are happy or not. That way a quick search of that persons posts shows their trading history with feedback

Exactly…this is all it needs.

I don't post a lot here as I don't like the flaming\clickyness..but i read nearly everything.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I think it works well as is to be honest. I dabble in and out as and when I change my bikes around and on the whole its always been a massive success. Only been burnt once in all my time buying and selling so not to bad really.

I think if you try and make to many changes it will lose everything that is good about the classifieds. A feedback system id a good idea but as has been said before a simple leaving a positive note on the original add will do that.

Coyote
    Free Member

A lively classified section is better for all than a closed shop isn't it.

Exactly!!!

Just show some common sense people and take some responsibility.

magowen100
    Free Member

I came to this site because of the classifieds so I'd agree that it generates a lot of traffic – I was looking for something specific and found it here. It enabled me to build the bike I wanted for a price I can afford. The pompous attitude of the OP is one of the reasons I don't post more – first of all unless he is a memeber of STW management I doubt very much 'he' will do anything about the classifieds so actually all this thread is doing is moaning and bitching. I would hazzard a guess that there are many more like me – people who know that cynic-al is akin to Mr Burns looking down over the minions of Springfield, Surf Matt is awesome (or as I like think of him as 'the man you wish your man could be like';check out the Old Spice ads on you tube if you don't know what I mean), TJ plays devils advocate lots and doesn't like helmets, never ebay with whomever it was selling the stars and stripes sram stuff (I think it was psycle but I may be wrong so accept my apologies if I am), Ro is a little 'unstable' etc etc.
    Whenever I've bought stuff I've tried to cover myself as best as possible, and so far have found it to be a great. Removing that because some people don't like what is posted is daft – its an open internet forum and you are not the self apointed police just because you write things on here. The tools to decide to deal with someone or not to are already in place; look at posting history and membership status, and then always get full contact details before money changes hands.

tron
    Free Member

The tools to decide to deal with someone or not to are already in place; look at posting history and membership status, and then always get full contact details before money changes hands.

It would be lovely if that were the case. As I've said above, I've had problems with people who meet everyone's criteria of what makes a good seller. The problem is, it is no guarantee.

A feedback system of whatever kind, would be a massive improvement. I think I've suggested the same idea as TJ in the past, but the issue is that it relies on a critical mass of people leaving feedback to become effective. Probably the best way to ensure that is by mentioning it in the classifieds rules.

firestarter
    Free Member

if you dont like it dont use it , its pretty simple really . im happy to use my wits and take a chance, if i wasnt id be paying full wack in the shops.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don't really use the classified, so don't really have the right to an opinion. But I felt that it was wrong to broadcast that suspicion falls only on those who don't post on the main forums. Surely the clever scammer will introduce themselves on the main forums therefore developing more trust and reinforcing the scam.

Maybe a more concrete method of identification so if things do go nipples up you can trace the scammer.

The determined scammer is always going to scam.

Woody
    Free Member

firestarter

Have you forgotten about the wheels or have you decided it's not worth getting rid? No worries either way but I'm still looking for a set. Cheers

<sorry for OT hijack)

Hallsy
    Free Member

The classifieds here have a high volume of posts. The posting system was introduced specifially to stop older posts being bumped to the top, either by intent, or by potential buyers registering interest. I can't think of a busy classified board that sorts by newest post.

Well off the top of my head for a biking forum – SDH, high volume and newest post to top.

Then in terms of car forums of which I reguarly use probably 4 or 5, they are all the same, newest post to top. Busiest one as an example being SXOC with 24,570 members.

It doesn't stop people 'bumping' the way it's done here, it just encourage people to post a 'new' topic every other day, clogging up the server with multiple threads of the same thing.

firestarter
    Free Member

doh completely forgot mate lol thats night shifts for you. i will dig them out and have a look at them for you and let you know the details.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Is it time we start to do something about the classified?’ is closed to new replies.