Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Is it time to buy a mobile washer before the hose pipe ban?
  • mike737373
    Free Member

Been contemplating buying a self contained washer to clean bikes after rides but not got round to it yet. However as outside tap is on front of house and Thames Water are about to announce a hose pipe ban, am thinking time to buy before there is none left. So the question is which one to buy? Choice is between a nomad or a mobi. Anyone got experience good or bad that I need to be aware of

aracer
    Free Member

You do know that you’re still allowed to wash bicycles with a hose during a hosepipe ban? Or are you bothered about hassle from the busybodies?

mike737373
    Free Member

it’s the hassle and explanation to the neighbours of the actual rules. And if the neighbours think I’m being the good citizen they may not notice the hose being used to keep levels in garden pond as required

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mobile washing device = bucket !

teamslug
    Free Member

i’ve got a dirtworker. Had it for years. Been a godsend out and about. No probs at all.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just leave your bike dirty, it works for me.

IHN

There’s a strong argument that the hosepipe ban is being introduced because there is a lack of water, so using that increasingly scarce resource to clean your bike is not particularly responsible, no matter what you squirt it out from.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

On the positive side – the trails shouldn’t be a muddy…

carlosg
    Free Member

Move to Yorkshire , our reservoirs are full and the ridings good too 😆

kimbers

jota180
    Free Member

Leaving the whether or not washing bikes is covered by the regs

I don’t think a Dirt Worker or similar is exempt from them

(f)drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use; .

Whether or not the hose on a Dirt Worker is a hosepipe or not may be debatable

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

(f)drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use; .

Whether or not the hose on a Dirt Worker is a hosepipe or not may be debatable

It is, but it’s not drawing water from the supply is it? Its probably significantly less wastefull than ven abucket of water!

jota180
    Free Member

It is, but it’s not drawing water from the supply is it? Its probably significantly less wastefull than ven abucket of water!

They were specific on the last ban that you could collect and use rain water in a butt – but you couldn’t connect a hose to it and use that

sparkyrhino

Carlosg- we dont want loads of southerners coming up here so they can bath there sprogs 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

as above, if we are having a drought i do not imagine my bike will need a hose down.

fact is i only hose a bike down if it is really really caked in mud, otherwise its better for all concerned if i let it dry, knock any loose mud off with a brush and drip a little oil on the chain. anything more just speeds up bearing wear.

br
    Free Member

I continued to use a hosepipe to wash both my bike and m/c during the last ‘hosepipe’ ban – all legal.

IMO water isn’t ‘scarce’; my local water company just hasn’t seen fit to either build more reservoirs or an infrastructure to bring it from areas where its available.

IHN

I continued to use a hosepipe to wash both my bike and m/c during the last ‘hosepipe’ ban – all legal.

But not necessarily ethical

IMO water isn’t ‘scarce’; my local water company just hasn’t seen fit to either build more reservoirs or an infrastructure to bring it from areas where its available.

And we’ve seen the lowest rainfall for a loooong time. Reservoirs can’t store water that’s not there in the first place.

There’s a finite amount of water, and it’s not very much, available for use. Yes, there are valid arguments that that amount could be larger, but there’s nothing that can be done about that in the near future. So it is scarce, and using it for non-essential stuff like cleaning bikes strikes me as, basically, incredibly selfish.

jota180
    Free Member

This may clarify things – but I doubt it 🙂

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2231/part/2/made?view=plain

batfink
    Free Member

legalities/ethics aside, I’ve got a Mobi (V12? The small one) and it’s really good. I had one of the cheap brand-x ones for a while but that broke after a few months.
    Compared to the brand-x, the Mobi is noticably better thought-out and constructed. The water seems to last longer too but the lower flow rate seems to just as good a job.

ransos
    Free Member

So, are you prepared to pay more for all this lovely new infrastructure?

jota180
    Free Member

‘scuse my ignorance here but who owns the various reservoirs? – is it the local water company?
    If so, can one water company insist that another one gives them water?

I can’t believe that when it was nationalised they didn’t put some protection in place to stop big business controlling it all, but then again ??

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

If so, can one water company insist that another one gives them water?

Any water company (in the west/north) would quite happily sell the water I’m sure, but without a pipeline its bloody expensive – Yorkshire Water had 700 tankers running at one time (1995 I think), when they screwed up.

jota180
    Free Member

Yorkshire Water had 700 tankers running at one time (1995 I think), when they screwed up.

They did from just a couple of miles away from me – no doubt chosen in part because it’s on a dual carriageway trunk road with a big lay-by next to it

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve had a DW and a Mobi, and would deffinately recomend the DW (I think that’s the one which is now the Nomad?) Just generally better at what it does and has so far lasted much longer.
    And I fill mine from the water butt.
    Also, it isn’t a case of ‘not enough water’ it’s a case of ‘too many people.’

plop_pants
    Free Member

I ask my local supplier (South Eastern Water) for clarification on washing a bike with a hosepipe and got this

“Re: Hosepipe Ban

Thank you for your recent email to our Customer Service Department regarding the hosepipe ban.

Unfortunately the use of a hosepipe to wash any mode of transport is not permitted during the period. We would recommend to all customers that a bucket should be used for this.”

D0NK

Also, it isn’t a case of ‘not enough water’ it’s a case of ‘too many people.’

potato/potato

Unfortunately the use of a hosepipe to wash any mode of transport is not permitted during the period. We would recommend to all customers that a bucket should be used for this

hmmm, bit dubious, but using a bucket instead is no biggie.

Kryton57

plop_pants – Member
    I ask my local supplier (South Eastern Water) for clarification on washing a bike with a hosepipe and got this

“Re: Hosepipe Ban

Thank you for your recent email to our Customer Service Department regarding the hosepipe ban.

Unfortunately the use of a hosepipe to wash any mode of transport is not permitted during the period. We would recommend to all customers that a bucket should be used for this.”

Arguably, filling a bucket or a Mobi/DW is the same thing (pedants will argue that the quantities differ but lets say you fill the Mobi with a “bucketful” of water for the sake of argument). The Mobi just then used ‘lectric to push it out faster – right?

So whats the issue? There’s plentry of Turkish water in the TfC supermarket ’round the corner from my place.

Nobby

So I’m okay if I simply ride a bike for fun/exercise rather than a means of transport? Seems very iffy to me.

If they stopped watering the golf courses there’d likely be a fair bit more.

jamesl
    Free Member

RE: shortage of water. If there was a shortage of water, what is the deal with the eastern european car washes that spring (!) up everywhere? There are many of these near me. There are always q’s on Fridays and Saturdays. I object to letting my ride rot, whilst it is still possible to get your range rover washed every week if you take it to a car wash. And on that, what is the difference between washing you car at home, or going somewhere and paying someone to do it?

I for one will be out on 4th April, giving my pride and joy (bike not car!) its last karcher session before next winter.

Watch the wettest summer ever start on 05 April.

cbike
    Free Member

More reservoirs? Will not help much when a lot of your southern water is pumped from the ground. It’s that bit that is struggling to cope.

mrdestructo

A hozelock pressure washing bottle as Mr Woppit is pointing to above is about perfect for bikes. You can carry one in the boot of your car when you go riding and spray down your bike before attaching it, or even dismembering to put in the boot to drive home.

They are also good for showers on the top of a hill post ‘exercise’. Strip, spray, soap and spray, then dress in clean clothes for the trip home. Outdoor ‘showering’ is liberating. Perfect at camps too.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Is it time to buy a mobile washer before the hose pipe ban?’ is closed to new replies.