Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • is it silly to go riding with only one brake?
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

Waiting for a new front disc brake to turn up so currently only have a rear brake. Fancy riding tomorrow (around Hope and Ladybower in the Peak) so plenty of snow, ice and steep hills.

good idea, bad idea or do it anyway and post the photos here afterwards?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, you don’t really want to be using a front brake on ice.

What could possibly go wrong?

fatface
    Free Member

have a rest

take the mrs out somehwere

make a deposit in the favour bank

it’ll all be there when the brake comes

Junkyard
    Free Member

how much does skidding slow you down then?

nukeproof
    Free Member

After a few experiments with cheap disc pads, I’ve cycled many a mile with one or no brakes 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Just a front brake: maybe

Just a rear brake: not a cat in hells chance!

IMO…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“What could possibly go wrong? “

I could scare myself and have to sit at a pub all day until the other lads pick me up.

“how much does skidding slow you down then? “

It doesn’t and that, to some extent, is what’s worrying me 😉

nukeproof
    Free Member

Just a front brake: maybe Just a rear brake: not a cat in hells chance!

Hmmm, I’m the opposite particularly if wet conditions: no way I’d want to bring the bike to a stop on just the front brake. Braking on the front in corners with the thought of the front tyre washing out puts me off as well.

TinMan
    Free Member

Andy is it IS mount? I have that Mono M4 from the Shermans in the garage from when I switched to the Totems. Can bring it with me in the morning. – is 180mm + your adapter?

thomthumb
    Free Member

go to the bmx track

njee20
    Free Member

Nukeproof: seriously!? The rear is far less useful, it offers much less power, the limit being the point at which you lock up. Also, you shouldn’t be braking in corners at all!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“Andy is it IS mount? I have that Mono M4 from the Shermans in the garage from when I switched to the Totems. Can bring it with me in the morning. – is 180mm + your adapter? “

its for my 66s, so IS mount yep. can you bring it anyway. I’ll bring adaptors/bolts/washers/rotors etc 🙂

I’ve got 203 or 180mm discs and two adaptors so it should fit.

preferable to riding with no brakes 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m with njee. Front brake only I’d risk it. Back brake, no way.

Go to the BMX track. Back brake only will be fine there.

TinMan
    Free Member

No worries
    See you tomorrow

nukeproof
    Free Member

The rear is far less useful, it offers much less power

Mmmm, maybe but if I knew I only had one brake I wouldn’t be cycling like I had two and, on that basis, I rid well within my limits and prefer to have the rear.

TinMan
    Free Member

PS pics of snow in Lakes on Flickr. Saw you’ve been uploading old stuff to!

njee20
    Free Member

if I knew I only had one brake I wouldn’t be cycling like I had two

Maybe, but short of riding along tow paths there’s not much you can do, if you’re going down a hill, the back brake will likely not keep your speed in check whatever you try and do.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

I would not start a ride with only one brake, if that fails you then have no brakes.not clever

Trimix
    Free Member

If you go take a mate with a camera.

I tried it once – lasted about five mins.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Maybe, but short of riding along tow paths there’s not much you can do, if you’re going down a hill, the back brake will likely not keep your speed in check whatever you try and do.

Well, iirc you’re a Surrey Hills local and so am and I’ve survived so far so will just have to disagree on that 😀

…or maybe its the sheer awesome power of my Avid rear brake 😉

chvck
    Free Member

Don’t think about it, just do it! If it’s in the snow then it’s pretty likely that you’re not going to be bombing along anyways.

ps. I’d rather ride with only a rear than only a front…if I panic and grab a handful of brake I don’t want it to be on the front!

taka
    Free Member

fulk brakes turn into cris akrigg

njee20
    Free Member

You do RC Nukeproof 🙂 You up there tomorrow? I will be, S-Works Epic, with a bird on another S-Works Epic, black/yellow kit, say hey!

It must be my diddy 140 rotor, being all inadequate. Definitely stand by my decision though, back brake isn’t really all that useful!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘is it silly to go riding with only one brake?’ is closed to new replies.