Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Is it settled – more or less dietary calcium for healthy bones?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This could be a big-ask question but please bear with me:

Which foods/supplements help or hinder calcium absorption and retention?

This is surely health issue and I’m surprised reading online to find so much disagreement. This is especially frustrating as last weeks scan results show Mrs MR’s situation has regressed from osteopenia to osteoporosis – so she’s once again undergoing evaluation for repeat dose of heavy-duty intravenous bisphosphonates which is painful, life-altering stuff, not to mention a last-chance as you only get two shots in a lifetime.

The last course she had to discontinue towards the end owing to the severe side-effects, yet there was some improvement. Two years later it’s not good news, scary news in fact. An increasingly crumbling spine/risk of hip fracture is the current prognosis unless something is done (lumbar = -3.0 T-score), especially as inactivity caused by disability leads to a vicious circle of bone-loss.

Beyond mitigating physical factors ie early menopause, genetic/systemic disease – surely bone-health is to a large degree a lifestyle/diet issue?

Would be hugely grateful if anyone has some pointers. After a week of poring over articles I little more than a backlog of ‘but so and so says’ * 🙁

* for example: “Americans, for their part, get about 70 percent of their total calcium intake from dairy products, but we’ve also got some of the world’s highest osteoporosis rates. ”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit: ‘This is surely a fundamental health issue’

batfink
    Free Member

Calcium, vitamin d, and “load bearing exercise” during puberty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Is it settled – more or less dietary calcium for healthy bones?’ is closed to new replies.