Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is it really this simple? Converting 3 to 2
  • stevepitch
    Free Member

The mrs has decided (after a little accident) that she doesnt like nor need the big ring on her bike and wants one of “those plastic things that stops you geting spiked” hence move to a 2 x 9 setup.

So excuse the numpty question as I’m just settling in but can I just remove the outer ring and replace with a bash guard (I know I’ll have to setup the front mech so it doesnt shift etc) and job done?

I was thinking of Something like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50668

She has a Boardman Fi with a Truvativ GXP crank.

Or is it a little more complicated than that ie would I need to fork out for a new crank

Cheers

ourkidsam
    Free Member

It really is that simple

RealMan
    Free Member

Might want to shorten the chain a bit too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It really is that simple

Certain bash rings are thicker than chainrings and need longer chainring bolts though.

She might be undergeared and need the 32t ting swapping for a 36t in the future, so get a 36t-sized bashring in the first palce and you’re covered! 🙂

5lab

or get one of these

and smack each of the teeth on the big chainring till it falls off 🙂

stevepitch
    Free Member

Cheers guys thats exactly what I wanted to hear.

PP good point I did think about going 34t as she’s only wee with little legs and thought 36t may be a bit much for her then leave the inner ring as 22t.

Cheers

stevepitch
    Free Member

5Lab thats an even better idea and a bit cheaper too as I already have one 😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

i was nervous about doing the same conversion myself (being new to mtb’s, riding and mechanics of a bike) but it really was that easy. i had to order longer chain-ring bolts (about 4quid from crc) and did it at a friends who has multiple allen keys 😀

not missed the big ring once and haven’t cut my beautiful legs up since!

takisawa2

Tell her to man up, man.

joolsburger
    Free Member

BBG Bashguards.

Duane…
    Free Member

Does your wife now have one of these too?

PJM1974
    Free Member

In principle it’s extremely simple. However there are a couple of things you need to take into consideration:-

1) Will she miss the lack of a large chainring? If so, then you’ll need to budget for either a 34-36T middle ring.

2) The bashring should be large enough to cover the largest chainring remaining. If she’s left with a 36T middle ring, then the 26T bashring on CRC will be left with a lot of overlap.

You can pick up a slimline Truvativ bashring which doesn’t weigh much and does a good job of protecting the chainring from logs, legs and rocks.

BigJohn

Do not be tempted to lower the front mech though. The hollows and profiles are designed for each ring so it will rub if you do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

very much more complicated than that!!

Send me £100 and I’ll tell you the secrets

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is it really this simple? Converting 3 to 2’ is closed to new replies.