Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • is it possible to work out how much tax and NIC i should be paying?
  • sadexpunk

we’ve had a nightmare this last year with our wages. changed over to SERCO to do them and theyve been wrong every month since last april. its been the whole of lincs county council, not just our dept. people have been overpaid, underpaid, not had pension deductions, paid too much tax, too little tax, zero wages, the list goes on. why they havent been binned i dont know!! (well i do, theyll have put in the cheapest bid)

anyway, they now say theyre on top of each individuals case, and will be writing to say how much we owe/are owed. trouble is, we dont trust them one bit to have got this right either, theyre totally incompetent.

so…… my question is, if ive got my tax code, my top line, NIC Base (TP), Tax paid to date, NIC Base (YTD) and taxable pay to date on all of my wage slips, can i work out how much tax and NIC i should be paying?
    or is it dependent on my pension contributions being right in the first place? and is that a simple calculation of a percentage of top line?

so is the plan…… start with top line, deduct pension %, whats left is taxable and NICable, go to online calculator and ive enough info to work it out exactly?

or have i no chance of working it out?

thanks

sadexpunk

thanks mate, just had a look at that and it seems simple enough but relies on a ‘salary’ being put in and then dividing by 12 giving a monthly figure. depending on overtime, my monthly payments are different each time, sometimes by a lot. is there a calculator where you can put in what you earn each month and it works it out, rather than a yearly figure?

xora

HMRC used to do a flash app on CD that did that, was for small businesses. No idea if it still exists.

Esme
    Free Member

Can you wait until you receive next month’s payslip? That will cover the full tax year, and be much easier to check.

sadexpunk

yep certainly, theres no rush. i shant be paying up for a while if they ask me for money back as i just dont trust them.

thanks

BoardinBob
    wrightyson
    Free Member

0300 200 3300 the tax man’s number
    I have literally rang them today, on hold for 10 mins. I’ve been overpaid for the last two months and wanted to know why. Lady went through my payments and confirmed everything including a change of tax code etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘is it possible to work out how much tax and NIC i should be paying?’ is closed to new replies.