Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is it possible to swap avid elixir r levers around??
  • dewindoeth
    Free Member

Evening all. I’m thinking of purchasing a bike but its an european spec i.e front brake on left side of handle bar and vive versa for the rear brake! What I would like to know if its possible to swap them around in some way without the levers being upside down ect? dont want to fork out more money on top of the purchase price as it allready more than I really want to pay anyway!
    Any help or info would be of great help.
    cheers.

weeble
    Free Member

Yep, the levers are ambidextrous

dewindoeth
    Free Member

ambidextrous? lol forgive me but ive never heard that word before. but I take it that it is possible then. thank you very much. Will they need to be taken apart then re bled ect? This shouldnt cost much to do at a bike shop would it? or is it an easy job?
    thanks again.

metal_leg
    Free Member

The levers should look the same right side up and upside down (if that makes sense). So you should be able to swap left to right and right to left no problems. Even if there was a problem swapping hoses over is an easy job for a bike shop. In summary, you should not have a problem. Go for it. No problem.

Lifer
    Free Member

As metal leg says will just be a case of unbolting the levers and swapping them over, no need for bleed or taking apart, just a couple of allen bolts.

dewindoeth
    Free Member

Thats great news. brilliant. cheers 😀

stumpy01

You just need to make sure when you swap them over that you flip the clamp bracket. It has two arrows on it that should point upwards. Don’t know why it’s important but it’s what Avid recommend I think.

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s because they aren’t machined symmetrically, if you clamp them with even spaces then the hole won’t be pefectly round(not that it really seems to affect anything).Other things that haven’t been mentioned- will the hoses be long enough to reach their new position?, and it’s always a good idea to bleed a new set of Avids regardless, try it and you’ll be shocked at the ammount of air that will come out of a factory bled system.Also a good idea to remove the pads and get the pistons moving freely before you start too.

stumpy01

if you clamp them with even spaces then the hole won’t be pefectly round(not that it really seems to affect anything)

Ah, yes. You are supposed to completely bolt up the top clamp screw & then tighten the bottom one once the top one is done; not tighten both evenly as is often the way.

dewindoeth
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I have just realised the brakes are elixir cr not elixir r! dont know whats the difference apart from a carbon lever so I assume these will be ambidextrous too?

stumpy01

Yeah – pretty much the same brakes, but CR’s have contact pad adjust which lets you set up how much lever travel you have before the pads touch contact the rotor. R’s just have reach adjust.
    I had this feature on my Avid Juicy brakes, but never really used it. On the Juicy’s you had to take the adjuster screw out & flip it over if swapping brakes from one side to the other.
    But, the adjuster on the CR’s is on the end of the lever body, around the cable, so you shouldn’t have to do anything with it. It’ll mention it in the manual if you do have to change it around.

dewindoeth
    Free Member

great thanks.
    much appreaciated all this info 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to swap avid elixir r levers around??’ is closed to new replies.