• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is it possible to ride a singlespeed 29er around the Syfydrin @ Nant y arian
  • i ride my bike a fair bit , but not enough to get fit, will i survive the big loop on my freak bike or should i take my 6 inch trail centre bike with lots of gears

mtbmatt
    Free Member

No problem. All the climbs are quite steady, although some are fairly long.

pampassgrass
    Free Member

I think you should take the fs bike. It’s very techy in places and really not suitable for a hardtail. You’ll also need gears as its not flat. I have seen people there riding with plastic armour on and full face helmets.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There’s a lad does it on a unicycle … I think you’ll be alright.

ton

i did it last september.
    not rocky or techy from what i remember.
    more like a good old xc route.
    ss, no problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the bigger question is will it be any fun!!

ive heard there are some tight switchbacks that i thought i might not get the 29er around ?

ton

i got my 29r round……………and my svelte self…… 😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

What about a CX bike with flat bars and 26 inch wheels?

singlespeedstu

I’d say it would be impossible.

Maybe you should buy a more appropriate bike for anything as technical as that.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

[/attentionwhoring]

pampassgrass
    Free Member

I heard that someone on a rigid ss 29er came off on a techy rocky descent there on Sat, I wouldn’t risk it.

MaD
    Free Member

I don’t think it matters at all what bike you ride on any trail man made or other wise, ride whatever you feel comfortable on.

MaD
    Free Member

Edit to add…..yes it’s perfectly possible, I ride rigid singlespeed 29er all the time.

rOcKeTdOg

really not suitable for a hardtail

oh no!, i wish someone had told me before the last 5 times i’ve ridden it on a HT, ‘ve had a lucky escape! *wipes brow*

singlespeedstu

Maybe I was wrong saying it’d be impossible up there. ^^^

I recon that if you were to be wearing a light brown corduroy jacket trousers and flat cap combo you might just manage it. But you’d still not be able to pull a propper long skid in the carpark.

rOcKeTdOg

*wants corduroy jacket with leather elbow patches*

ssbrown
    Free Member

Corduroy or not I heard it’s impossible on a 29er singlespeed. Unless you are a women pedaling a jalfrezi

Northwind

<doh, talking pish>

devs
    Free Member

Bow down below me suckerz as I is nailz and I iz nailing it on a hard tail loadz of timez. I proper got me hoop handed to me on a platter by my homey what can nailez it faster on his 29er SS Gary Fisher. I did spank him on the landrover track of death downhill bit though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to ride a singlespeed 29er around the Syfydrin @ Nant y arian’ is closed to new replies.