• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by toby.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is it possible to get someone's contact details from a cheque?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

A one off customer has accidentally put the wrong payee on a cheque they gave me.
    I don’t have any contact details for them. Any ideas apart from Google or Facebook to find them?

stevied
    Free Member

Contact the bank on the cheque and ask them if they can ask the customer can contact you?

wiggles
    Free Member

I doubt it, their bank would know who they are but they shouldn’t tell you or they would be in trouble. IF they are feeling friendly they could contact the person and pass on your details but they probably wouldn’t.

The only thing for it is to hire a private investigator (assuming the sum of money is worth it)

matt_outandabout

A one off customer has accidentally put the wrong payee on a cheque they gave me.

As I understand it, the person accepting the cheque has the responsibility to ensure it is made out correctly.

Did you issue a receipt?

ourmaninthenorth

Do you know their name?

Any idea where they live?

I reckon you’d have enough to locate them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

It was posted with no return address ( long story)

maccruiskeen

on the occasions where I’ve presented cheques that have the wrong payee details on them (by post as I bank online) the bank hasn’t noticed and just processed the payment

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve contacted the bank and they will attempt to contact the person..

maccruiskeen

It was posted with no return address ( long story)

As they expecting goods or services in return? You could just wait until they query why their Sex Robot hasn’t arrived in the post. Of have you already posted it?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Can’t you just cross it out and initial the change with their initials? I doubt these things get checked very carefully and the person who wrote the check isn’t going to complain if they’d made a genuine mistake….

Or even better just try to pay it in as it is and see what the cashier says. I’m sure I’ve paid cheques made out in my wife’s maiden name into our joint account without comment.

I’m not sure human eyes even see cheques if you pay them in by post….

maccruiskeen

By the way…. why hasn’t my Sex Robot arrived yet?

cloudnine
    Free Member

They have the sex robot.. I just have a cheque I can’t bank.
    I believe it was an honest mistake.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I sent it with myherpes..

petec
    Free Member

back in the day (good 20 years), i used to work in natwest for cheque clearing.

We never checked anything under £5k. Probably even more now

antigee

maccruiskeen – Member
    on the occasions where I’ve presented cheques that have the wrong payee details on them (by post as I bank online) the bank hasn’t noticed and just processed the payment

ooh i can remember cheques and only today i was shredding some 10 year old records that included the comments “cheques + slip posted on XX/XX/XX” didn’t realise anyone still did it……and maccruiskeen has the fix I believe

johndoh
    Free Member

I sometimes put cheques into my business account and in-discrepancies have been noticed on at least two occasions (small amounts too). One I had to get re-written and the other they let slide as it was ‘almost’ correct.

wwaswas

I sent it with myherpes..

I hope you put an STD code alongside their phone number.

tdog
    Free Member

Should have sent it by a flying thrush, would have been more efficient.

rocketman
    Free Member

Had one the other week that had taken months for the insurers to issue and even then they spelt my name wrong (right letters, wrong order lol)

Took it to the bank with some ID and they just rolled their eyes, paid it in and told me how you can’t get the staff these days

toby

Many years ago I wrote a cheque for the wrong amount and it wasn’t noticed at the time (I’d written the cheque for the +VAT price). The shop wrote to the branch of my bank on the cheque and the bank then posted it on to me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to get someone's contact details from a cheque?’ is closed to new replies.