Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is it possible to get a sliding drop out steel frame that doesn't weigh a ton?
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm waiting on a Pipedream Ti Sirius with sliders. The thing is, I've been waiting for nearly 5 months now and I've really been messed about. I'm on the verge of pulling my deposit, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't weigh in excess of 5lbs and have sliding dropots and can can a 120mm fork.

I'm looking for inspiration – anyone got anything nice that I've not considered?

Aidan
    Free Member

Voodoo?

Keef
    Free Member

Wanga +1 !
    I've had a couple and they ride verrrrrrry nice,and aint to heavy,4 an a bit lbs iirc,for an 18"

sv

Inbred 853?

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Even the very lightest steel race frames of yore (bontrager/ibis mojo)still clock in at 4.5lbs ish so 5lb aint so bad for a 'proper' trail bike.

Is there a quoted weight for the wanga?

IIRC the p7 frame weighs 6 lbs + !!

warpcow
    Free Member

The Decade Virsa claims to be a bit under 5lbs. Some mag mentioned that the latest iteration of the Charge Duster will be too, but can they take more than 100mm?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Explosif – Dedacciai road tubing, don't know the exact weight, but light enough… 4.5lbs?

PJay
    Free Member

If you want a ti. frame with sliding dropouts why not try and get something definate out of Pipedream, it'd be a shame if you missed it by a few weeks (but I do understand your frustration, I had to wait 5-6 months for my 853 Pipedream). I thought that the ti. Siriuses were meant to ship around the time that the 853s did, has there been another hold up?

My experience of Pipedream has been that they're not the best at keeping pre-order customers informed (a fair bit changed on the R853s between pre-order and delivery) but they do seem genuinely keen to help out.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its a nice idea PJay, but getting something definite out of Pipedream is like trying to nail jelly to the door.

I've been told twice already that it was being shipped, to find that it wasn't. Yesterday I was told I would be given a shipping number today to actually track the shipment. Guess what? No tracking number.
    👿

It'd be silly to pull my deposit until I had sourced something else, but I'm having trouble with inspiration at the moment, hence this thread.

PJay
    Free Member

I guess if you pull the deposit and then change your mind you'll end up paying the VAT hiked prices too, it's a difficult call.

I've no idea what it's like, but this looks interesting! (just spotted in on CRC). I don't know what the weight or travel options are though.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ohh, somebody throws a very wobbly ball into the equation…only one problem with pace frames though, once you have bought it your on your own.

Edric64
    Free Member

And they cost loads

Kahurangi

Those 104's aren't long travel friendly though, are they? Blimmin expensive too, but probably less than your ti pipedream.

Shame, as I have a pipedream sirius but it's a lot of heft (if/when it ever gets built up/returned) for a rake like me.

highclimber
    Free Member

the P7 weighs little approx 7lbs

prettygreenparrot

My Kona unit seems light & sprightly. Not sure of exact weight but it can't be much.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

A Unit is an Explosif without gear cable stops.

mudmonster
    Free Member

My Explosiv was very light. Triple butted dedacciai apparently. Shame it got nicked.

samuri
    Free Member

Cotic simple, surely?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What about the genesis IO? I have one but I have no idea the weight of the frame

cynic-al
    Free Member

My unit weighed a ton (29er)

my Shand weighed 4.2lb but now has heavier chainstays.

EDIT ooh that's it in shands "other" set, first 3 pics

oxym0r0n

New Salsa a la Carte?

[edit – I took my Voodoo for a little makeover to get rid of the nasty cable guides on the TT. It's so nice to ride the Yeti FS gets left at home most of the time!]

Clink

Pace looks nice. If anything goes wrong your contract is with CRC surely, not Pace? CRC in my experience have been very good and sorting out warranty issues.

james
    Free Member

Cotic Simple?

"The Decade Virsa claims to be a bit under 5lbs"
    The small and medium are claimed at 4.6 and 4.85lbs, the large is 5.5lbs

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to get a sliding drop out steel frame that doesn't weigh a ton?’ is closed to new replies.