Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Is it OK to sell a used helmet?
  • timnwild

Just upgraded my lid, and don’t need the old one, but I’m wondering if it’s OK to sell the old one – it’s fine, but would anyone even consider buying it, or am I better off keeping it as a spare?

Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d not touch it with a barge pole.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Keep it as a spare, or rig a head torch to it so its ready for night rides.
    Also does it smell?

timnwild

i hear you

fasthaggis

I wouldn’t buy..
    A second hand helmet (cycle or motorcycle)
    Climbing ropes.
    Pants.
    Ear plugs.
    Make up.

🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Plenty of people do buy them.

m0rk
    Free Member

Always amazed that people buy them tbh

I’d keep it as a spare, it’s annoying when you stack and need to go buy a new one / wait for delivery…

timnwild

It doesn’t smell, no.

Jamie
    Free Member

Relevant-ish.

I have a £450 Arai m/bike helmet collecting dust in a wardrobe, as to anyone but me it is worthless. As for all they know it could have been dropped/crashed/resprayed and be about as much use in a crash as a top hat.

The fact I know it is fine, means nothing.

sputnik
    Free Member

I got an used Giro Xen off here for the price of the postage, so basically free. Came in handy when my brother in law was visiting from abroad and needed some kit to ride while here.

the-muffin-man

I’d keep it as a spare.

If you do sell it, its not likely to fetch much.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve sold a Spesh Echelon on t’bay after I went off it. It wasn’t old, crashed or out of it’s warranty period.

I doubt you’d get many nibbles on here unless it’s particularly trendy (POC, carbon fullface etc), however ebay’s worth a go. Or pinkbike if it’s a rad related helmet, they’re a lot less choosy but can be frustrating to trade with.

What is it and how old?

timnwild

Spare it is – there’s decent-ish helmets going new for less than 50 quid all over the place anyway.

Thanks STW – sensible, timely wisdom.

njee20
    Free Member

Really? Have you tried to sell it? Surely it’s the buyers choice if they want to. If you knew it was trashed I’d understand, don’t really get that mentality otherwise.

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 it’s the prevailing “don’t trust anyone” approach to online buying.

I do wonder how much invisible damage there could be.

njee20
    Free Member

But unless he’s tried to sell it (in which case I agree) it’s a moot point. It reads as ‘I have this perfect helmet, but I can’t sell it, because no one buys helmets’. Whilst IME they do.

johnellison
    Free Member

If you know it’s undamaged then surely you can sell it with a clear conscience? I’ve sold two motorbike helmets and a cycle helment on eBay without problems, that said I made it abundantly clear in the listing that the helmets were used and that the buyer purchased at their own risk.

And I can also state that people WILL buy used helmets.

curvature
    Free Member

Like most people I wouldn’t buy a used crash helmet.

However I have sold both a Dainese and Shoei lid on eBay for what I thought was silly money!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d have no problems selling one. Probably wouldn’t buy one, but I have the luxury of spare cash.

fourbanger
    Free Member

People buy them. Up to them really. No guarantee a new one wasn’t dropped in transit…

coffeeking
    Free Member

‘cept it’s probably pretty well packaged.

Jamie
    Free Member

And I can also state that people WILL buy used helmets.

I’d have no problems selling one. Probably wouldn’t buy one, but I have the luxury of spare cash.

People buy them. Up to them really. No guarantee a new one wasn’t dropped in transit…

njee20’s posts

*heads to eBay*

timnwild

Changed my mind – put my old MET and my daughter’s Bell up on Ebay, so we’ll see.

andywoods
    Free Member

difference is we all know better you average joe on ebay probably thinks he`s getting a bargain, any lids better than no lid.

Northwind

I’ve sold a couple, couldn’t see any reason not to as I was only replacing because of upgrades. Got to sell my fullface actually, thanks for the reminder…

Wouldn’t buy one used though, bike helmets aren’t all that expensive really and used ones seem inexplicably expensive.

Jamie – Member
    I have a £450 Arai m/bike helmet collecting dust in a wardrobe, as to anyone but me it is worthless. As for all they know it could have been dropped/crashed/resprayed and be about as much use in a crash as a top hat.

Send it back to Arai, say you dropped it, and you’re worried about it. They’ll give it a safety check and return it to you with a dated impact test report with various comments and SAFE TO USE in big letters at the bottom. Or at least, this is how it worked a couple of years ago.

They cleaned mine too and replaced the strap and a worn pad. Pretty awesome all round. Was just a cheapie Condor as well.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve regularly sold my old Motocross helmets. I’d never sell one that was crashed, dropped or tampered with that could be detrimental to its performance obviously, because it would just go straight in the bin.

I’ve sold helmets that are perfectly good, used but good, and people have happily bought them on my word and visual inspection alone. I personally wouldn’t buy a second hand helmet ever.

fattyre500
    Free Member

Sold an old Giro lid at a car boot sale for a few quid but the guy who bought it looked and sounded like he’d already been through lots of crashes and lid failures anyway !! 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sold an old Giro lid at a car boot sale for a few quid but the guy who bought it looked and sounded like he’d already been through lots of crashes and lid failures anyway !!

Genuine LOLs! 😆

I’d have no qualms about buying or selling a lid, TBH.

highclimber
    Free Member

I’d buy a used lid if it was cheap enough though helmets are quite cheap to buy new and wouldn’t bother for that reason alone.

I have bought other PPE 2nd hand before but that’s ’cause i’m a cheap-skate and i’ve sold just as much too

Lest
    Free Member

Closest I came to trusting a used lid was at a carboot in the summer.
    Really expensive-looking Giro was sat on one of the stalls and thankfully I had a good look at it.
    Didnt spot it straight away but there was a crack in the polystyrene and a flat-spot on the outer so it had had a pretty big hit.
    I put it down and walked off, initially pleased with myself that I hadn’t been stitched up but later regreted not giving them an earful as some poor sod probably inherited an unsafe helmet.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Sell it no worries.I sold a fair few Helmets on here.Giro E2 mint/Giro Monza/etc.They were excellent condition.Also sold a Scorpion motorcycle helmet on here.Send good pics and if its in great nick sell it.If the helmet has been bashed about then i would keep it for muddy rides or bin it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Is it OK to sell a used helmet?’ is closed to new replies.