Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is it normal to need the toilet so often after an operation ?
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Had my hip resurfaced last Tuesday and spent a couple of days with a catheter in . Was taking all sorts of medication but off everything now except for 1 a day aspirin type pill . Through the night I am up about every 2 hours to pass urine and when I need to go I need to go to the extent that I am nearly wetting myself , this isn’t helped by the fact that I am on crutches so am slower at getting about . Am seeing a doctor tomorrow so will obviously ask him if this is normal but wondered what the forums opinion was . This is the first General anaesthetic that I’ve ever had .

Rubber_Buccaneer

General anaesthetic has never done that to me but I’ve never had a catheter. I’d be carrying a receptacle around with me and talking to the Dr

somafunk

Sounds like you have an Urinary tract infection due to the catheter introducing bacteria into your bladder, i have to use intermittent catheterisation due to spinal cord damage and often suffer from such symptoms – you need a dose of antibiotics to clear it up.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I had a course of antibiotics and a urine test to make sure that that wasn’t the case . They seem very worried about you getting any type of infection .

speedstar

Probably a mix of lots of fluid during the operation and your bladder going into hyperdrive now it’s being used properly again. Give it a few more days.

somafunk

I’ve had an on/off urine infection for the past 6 months that i’ve had to live with yet in the tests it never showed up with a high enough bacterial count to warrant a definite diagnoses, thankfully I’ve annoyed the urology dept enough that they have one further testing and confirmed that i do have an infection so i’ve started a course of Nitrofurantoin this week. I’ve had dozens of infections over the years and not all have been diagnosed correctly at the time so ask for further tests to be done.

Or it may just be trauma due to the operation, mention the symptoms to your doc tomorrow and get them to run urine tests again.

TiRed

Urgency and frequency would implicate a UTI. Had one in November and it was dreadful -on the toilet 20 times/day, not a huge production rate. Nitrofurantoin selected the resistant strain that grew back after a week of remission. Knocked down by a second course of penicillin.

Hope it clears up soon.

mildbore

It’s important you keep drinking despite regular loo visits. How clear/what colour is your urine? If darker than normal or pink (blood in it) then that could mean an infection and you need to get on antibiotics asap. I’ve just had an abcess drained from an infection, it’s a few weeks to recovery and no fun with daily visits from district nurse. Just had a catheter out a week ago and now all back to normal here.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I had a new hip 9 weeks ago, i also had a catheter for a couple of days but had a spinal not a general anaesthetic. I was going to the toilet every couple of hours for about 2 weeks. Toilet habits are back to normal now.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Thanks for that , that’s what I was hoping to hear , although I will mention it tomorrow . I had an anaesthetic and an epidural which was left in for 10 hrs after the operation . All is going well for me other than my bladder , hope you are also doing well .

shermer75
    Free Member

They like to stuff you full of fluids to keep your blood pressure up. It can take a couple of days to normalize

shermer75
    Free Member

Last Tuesday as in last week or this week?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Sorry , Tuesday of last week , June 20 .

shermer75
    Free Member

Ah, that was a while ago. You should prob get it checked out! As above, possibly a UTI unforts…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is it normal to need the toilet so often after an operation ?’ is closed to new replies.