Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Is it me, or do I need to find another forum?
  • maxray
    Free Member

And then there’s the people that think arguing about anything is good sport… Have they nothing better to do?

I always wonder that, I don’t really like arguing to be honest though I can be a stubborn bugger once I am embroiled.

cinnamon_girl

Good morning TSY. I’m fine, thanks. Yourself?

Jamie
    Free Member

of an Internet BBS

Oh! Oh! Everyone gather round, an old man is telling stories about the BBS days! I do hope he regales us with stories of 14.4k baud modems!

😉

Cougar

There’s a difference, I think, between “discussion,” “debate” and “argument.” Some people find debating fun (hence the existence of debating teams), and some seemingly can’t tell the difference between the three. (-:

The problem is that a lot of communication is non-verbal, a friendly grin or a knowing wink, which gets lost in text. It’s very easy to misunderstand tone and spiral into a heated argument.

As a rule of thumb, if I say something that can be taken two ways, and one of those ways makes you really angry, I meant the other one. I’m rarely serious.

Cougar

I do hope he regales us with stories of 14.4k baud modems!

14.4K? Pah, luxury! In my day we had 4800bps, and you know what lad, we were bloody grateful!

rich_tee
    Free Member

this forum would be interminably boring if it were solely about bikes.

oh is there a bike forum?

Cougar

(Tiger6791 – see what you’ve started, now there’s trouble at t’mill)

DezB
    Free Member

very little immaturity

Hi!
    TJ called me infantile 8)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s January.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The problem is that a lot of communication is non-verbal, a friendly grin or a knowing wink, which gets lost in text. It’s very easy to misunderstand tone and spiral into a heated argument.

Indeed – this is a trap for me both ways – in that I often sound much more angey than I am and that I sometimes get the tone of others posts wrong

Everyone wants to get the last word as well.

I am trying to learn to take account for these things

DezB – Member

very little immaturity

Hi!
    TJ called me infantile

You called me poopy pants first!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Everyone wants to get the last word as well.

What?? Really?? Surely nobody wants to be the thread killer… except on the thread killer thread.

yunki
    Free Member

I agree with every post on this thread..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely nobody wants to be the thread killer

I love it. I sometimes used to wait a while for things to die down, before posting my killer comment 😀

Generally though I can’t be arsed any more. Although I do sometimes get slightly irritated if people just want to argue – specially concerning politics. Making my point and leaving at that, is often more enough for me – I rarely expect people to agree with me. An exchange of ideas is good, but trying to “win” an argument, or trying to convince others, is futile imo.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been coming here for years and never been offered a biscuit.

re. my earlier comment, they’re all soggy and I would advise against eating them.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I was sitting here thinking about STW & why I don’t get involved as a much as I used to, then I remembered this thread when everyone just got ‘nice’ and I thought it shouldn’t die, so whoosh, it’s back. It’s still doesn’t explain why I don’t feel the need to contribute anymore, but it makes me feel better 😉
    Cheers.

Bloody attention seeker……..

😉

compositepro
    Free Member

Best stay in the house with a duvet over your head I think. You’ve just described the human race. I’m in total agreement though, I’d nuke us all from orbit if I could. The crap people are crap (and I’m clearly in that category), and good people make me want to kill me or them. That video yon yeti posted above made me feel a bit sick. We’re just a vile race as far as I’m concerned. Smart enough to be evil, stupid enough to be dangerous.

Hopefully we’ll get hit by an asteroid or the sun will stretch out a limb and torch us all.

I actually laughed out loud reading that

rickmeister

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…”
    ? Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m only here for the wonderful free bags

sweepy
    Free Member

At the STW breakfast table
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZ7q3Ln4Fs[/video]

CountZero

You just wouldn’t let it lie… 😆

Woody
    Free Member

Still as relevant as it was 11 months ago Martin.

Frightening thing is, it just shows that nothing has changed 😕

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s OK, Mark’s making a new one. I hope they get rid of that nasty green.

teasel
    Free Member

As was pointed out earlier in the thread – too many folk believe that an argument can be won or lost. Don’t quite get that myself.

If you believe you’re a winner then you’ve already lost…uh…

😕

Shit…

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have no problem with a good argument, quite enjoyable at times, but sometimes it is inappropriate. I’ve just been reading up on the iDave diet and looking at old posts and half of it was know-nothings arguing about something that didn’t concern them. Being genetically thin does not make you an expert on nutrition and willpower.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You probably need a new one.

But then you would miss the STW comedy genius:

Thread title of the year: poetry, mostly I think it’s crap
    Post of the year: everyone wants the last word (TJ that’s awesome)
    Photo of the year: Dan’s photo of ed Milliband

Just think the laughs you would miss?

rOcKeTdOg

Let’s be honest; this forum would be interminably boring if it were solely about bikes. There is more to life you know…

WTFlip??

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s like a game of intellectual chess; of course you don’t want to lose, and it can be challenging to ensure you aren’t outmoved.

Lies, it’s more like Hungry Hungry Hippos!

Jamie
    Free Member

Lies, it’s more like Hungry Hungry Hippos!

I think that is still over-intellectualising it.

hora
    Free Member

Go over to Pistonheads and every so often you’ll get one poster getting angry with another and virtual fisty cuffs ensures. Its rare though.

Thing is – just avoid ALL political topics on STW and your laughing.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You people leading soft, sheltered lives have obviously never enjoyed the cut and thrust of a football forum…

MrsToast
    Free Member

I think that is still over-intellectualising it.

Pop Up Pirate? Buckaroo?

You people leading soft, sheltered lives have obviously never enjoyed the cut and thrust of a football forum..

Or any gaming forum ever…

Jamie
    Free Member

Pop Up Pirate? Buckaroo?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0kWqJJZa4[/video]

bristolbiker
    Free Member

‘…log, from Blammo’. Even after all this time, this still makes me giggle…. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

never enjoyed the cut and thrust of a football forum…

The sort of people that must go on them. I remember seeing a group of lads that I used to hang out with when I was younger and they all look like hard versions of the PetShop boys nowadays 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

hora – Member
    just avoid ALL political topics on STW and your laughing.

and those threads about religion, helmets, road positioning, local bike shops, football, rugby, food’n’diet, wheel size, frame materials/design, cheeky trails, bedding in pads, contents of trail pack, first aid kits, Top Gear/JC, ramblers, horse riders and dogs…

..other than that it’s all peaches’n’cream 😆

kaesae
    Free Member

Too many over opinionated sh!t chucking monkeys these days, mostly it’s just talk and nothing gets done.

The trick is too remember that it’s just tom foolery, not real and keep your sense of hunour handy, it this day and age being born into our insane flamboyantly useless culture, you gonna need it 😉

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

but if you allow yourself to hate, then you’re succumbing to negative energies, and doing yourself a disservice.

Meanwhile, somewhere at STW towers…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFkAAvDkj9k&feature=related[/video]

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Is it me, or do I need to find another forum?’ is closed to new replies.