Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is it just me or is riding in snow just a bit too much like hard work to be fun?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

As above really 😳

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's just you.

Keva
    Free Member

…but to me hard work is fun 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

no you're right, in Surrey there's just too much. An inch or two and it's ace, 8 inches which we currently have is crap for biking.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just you … more snow please.

😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can I admit to a heresy and say that I'm planning an offroad walkies to the pub (Mickleham via Boxhill) for lunch tomorrow, and that walking in the snow is fun?

Should I GMC? 😯

grumm
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/give-up-on-this-silly-biking-lark-and-get-some-crampons-and-an-ice-axe

As above – a couple of inches is good fun, but several inches on top of ice isn't.

hora
    Free Member

Its dull when its 100% snow. Hardwork – you cant get any speed and you have to give 100% concentration on the ground circa 1/2metre at a time infront of your front wheel.

alpin
    Free Member

just got back in from a 2 1/2 hour ride that'd usually take 1 1/2 – 2 hours. the cold was grabbing at my fingers and toes and i took a bash on the leg. but, despite only having ridden our normal route i feel knackered. the slog on the way home was challenging.

good fun, though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You're right it isn't any fun any more. Fine if you just want to get out for a pootle in the snow but not if you start wanting to get some long training rides in.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but not if you start wanting to get some long training rides in.

Why do you need long rides when a short ride takes more effort? 😀

votchy
    Free Member

Wish I could ride in the snow, wifey is ill so when not at work I have the kids, however, sledging, snowballing, snowman building is ace 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

Find a big singletrack hill to ride down – then the depth is more fun than a hinderance.

Bunnyhop

I love it.
    Rode in the snow New years Eve, last Saturday and yesterday.

Several people stopped me yesterday though, as I was riding on my own, to tell me how crazy I was, stupid folk, I knew that already.

Honestly it was scary, however the adrenalin kicked in and I'm hooked now.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Uphill is quite hard, downhill is nerve wracking. Both requiring lots of caution and concentration. Quite fun really. Will get bored of it if it's like this all winter.

Hmmm x-country skiing looking a possibility.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why do you need long rides when a short ride takes more effort?

Because I have to ride on the road for a bit to get to the local off road stuff which I'm not going to do and it's impossible to do any decent road riding in the current conditions. I could drive somewhere to go for a ride but I'm not happy doing that anytime.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Hmmm x-country skiing looking a possibility.

Yep, I saw someone out on a pair of xc skis this afternoon

Blower
    Free Member

Hmmm hard work?? nay you must'nt be trying hard enough, we need 4ft at least to make it more fun!

RichPenny
    Free Member

First snowy ride was this morning. Fantastic fun:

Rabbit tracks, oooh
    Deer tracks, ahhh
    Werewolf tracks, ****

Did nearly bin it at the bottom of the road hill though. Still undecided as to short or long way home.

ton

love it to bits
    massive workout which is all good.
    get some chains on you tyres like me and the mtfu and ride…….. 8)

postierich
    Free Member

Had to abandon my Post Bike today far too many front wheel slides,I love riding in snow will be out tonight!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Love it. My doorstep riding isn't exactly challenging in the "dry" summer months, so riding those easy trails when covered with snow makes them all the more fun. Granted the snow drifts stopping all forward momentum on the downhills can grate a little from time to time.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've ridden all the snowy days so far I think.

My ride to work had between 1 inch and 3 inches of snow, which seems to me to be the perfect balance between lovely crunchy snowy noises, and too much effort / sticking in the snow.

I have to say though, 20 miles (the offroad way to work) was not at all easy, really felt like hard work.

There is something great about descending a completely featureless track knowing that underneath there are roots and boulders and all that, and praying that you won't hit anything too big, or fall off any drops that you can't see.

Now riding on sheet ice covered roads – that *is* rubbish. One of the roads near my work has speed bumps and complete sheet ice – that was a bit scary, back wheel spinning on the uphill bits, I ended up riding on the pavement after a couple of slippery moments.

I guess I don't have the problem you have with the road riding to get to the off road though – my closest trail is under a half mile away, and even the slightly further away ones I rode yesterday start 2.5 miles from my house.

Joe

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or is riding in snow just a bit too much like hard work to be fun?’ is closed to new replies.