Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is it just me…
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

…or does anyone else get slightly irritated by the use of the phrase “All of us V Cancer” being used to advertise Race for Life’s women-only events?

peterfile
    Free Member

I don’t. At all actually.

I find that losing family members to cancer has an effect on my general well-being though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

No not really.

My mum had cancer recently, its not something I’d be sarcastic about as the above post, nor did it attack and kill my sense of humour as it has for the above poster.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I assume that the ‘All’ applies to all those involved in the event.

So are you infact irritated that it’s women only?

Maybe part of the benefit in it being women only is that it encourages otherwise sedentry females to get off their arses thus reducing their own cancer risks.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ve just realised that the above makes me look like a proper tool, so in order to try and back-track / worm my way out of it I’d like to state that I think the events are great as they do get alot of women who wouldn’t normally run out running in a friendly and non-competitive environment, but just find the choice of words slightly odd!

The irritation is nothing to do with the charity / event but more to do with the language used in the adverts.

yunki
    Free Member

no harm done in my eyes.. the language is that of empowerment which is an ongoing process..

there are possibly more important things to get your knickers in a twist about..

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s just advertising, a “catchy” slogan. The problem with these sorts of events (and something that is a great shame) is that they need to continually refresh them to bring them back into the attention of the public. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the words used, rather the sentiment behind what is trying to be achieved. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yup, I’m guessing it might be just you.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Good points well made, I’ll get back under my rock. I think I just spent too much time thinking about it while in the gym this morning (the advert was on between every song -or at least felt like it!) 😳

Frankenstein
    Free Member

No, but agree with OP it should be ALL meaning Males and Females.

Hence why we should raise awareness for prostate cancer with Men entering the event only and breast cancer for women only – just to raise awareness.

There are plenty of events for both sexes to take part too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

In defence of the OP I feel kinf of irked also, but hten I am a mardy bastard. The irony is, quite a lot of those who take part, I suspect, won’t do anything else physical for the rest of the year, which probably isn’t going to do them any favours in the long term either.

Perhaps there should be a male equivalent for prostrate cancer, perhaps like not shaving for a month…. hang on a MO 😉

andyl
    Free Member

perhaps like not shaving for a month….

at least they don’t do that kind of thing for womens charity events. Stick to the fun runs ladies!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me…’ is closed to new replies.