Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is it easy/permitted to move a broadband point from room to room?
  • rockhopper70

I had the broadband connection point installed where I originally worked in the home. I now have a little office and wonder if I can just disconnect the wires from the extension box, re-route the wire to the new room and reconnect?
    The broadband is a businees line that piggybacks my own phone line from the incoming box as I understand that a standard wire from exchange to pole to house is a pair anyway?
    If not possible, it looks like a £200 BT job.

br
    Free Member

Just add wireless.

rockhopper70

not secure enough for my work…already asked that.

allthepies
    Free Member

Use those devices which plug in to your power sockets and use your house electricity wiring as a network ?

meehaja
    Free Member

sorry to jump on your thread, but how easy is it tu cut broadband cable (Virgin media) and rejoin it? Obviously cutting is easy but will rejoining it work or will there be epic disturbance?

Reason I ask is virgin media did a tatty job of installing it and it’d look loads better done the way I asked in the first place. As a nod to the OP I have loads (10m ish) of broadband cable which if its any use I could send your way?

geoffj

It is easy and doable, just note which wires go where and then move it. In theory, BT could kick up a fuss in future if you need to get them out, and they realise it’s been moved, but chances of them noticing and caring are small IMHO.

dr_adams
    Free Member

i believe somewhere along the road there was an issue about the first socket into the house – the master one is bt’s baby and so you shouldn’t touch that one directly, you can plug into it and give a feed but that one has to stay normal as in a fault situation they will cover their end upto that point but if you have messed with the master socket then they can get grumbly. so you should be able to tag on an extension easily enough. For virgin, the tend to not like people moving their stuff around full stop but they have no idea whats happening half the time anyway!

molgrips
    Free Member

Not secure enough? You are surely using a VPN, aren’t you?

Seems odd.

xiphon
    Free Member

Tried using an extension cable, with the filter plugged in the end?

Ours easily goes 15 meters around two rooms, to get to the socket in the wall.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is it easy/permitted to move a broadband point from room to room?’ is closed to new replies.