Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is it a really bad idea to ride with a cold? :-s
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I expect I know the answer 🙁

I’ve just built up my new bike though and am itching to try it out!

Mates are going to llangdegla tomorrow too ..

Hmmm

mrmo
    Free Member

gently does it, listen to your body, do not train, should be ok.

as i have said before worst case scenario is you die, but the cases i have heard of were competative orienteers

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Train!?

I’ve not ridden for 3 weeks!

Problem is both my bike and I are lard @rses… Think everyone might get fed up waiting for me !

rOcKeTdOg

listen to your body, you’ll know if you can ride or notb

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well I’ve not climbed on the bike to find out! I’m just not sure where the snot will go while I’m riding … Presumably onto my bars :-s

Oh I wish I knew …

TheSwede
    Free Member

If its in the chest no, if its just snot, get out and pedal. Not a doctor or ought though.
    Disclaimer
    If you die, you aint seen me. Right.

woffle
    Free Member

As I found out to my cost – yes. Bad idea. Thought I’d recovered, did a few too many miles, too quickly. Had to stop riding for a couple of days (again).

Discovered a great lemon + honey cordial that’s been helping with the throat though….

rewski
    Free Member

Easy – give yourself 30 mins warm up on the bike, if you have no energy even on flats then call it a day. Sometimes you can get cold like effects from overtraining, I’m suffering now with a sore throat, I know it’s probably down to too many miles and not enough recovery time. I will say that sometimes you can sweat and phlegm your way out of most snivels, but sometimes you’ve just got to give in, there’s always another day.

Karinofnine

Yes, it is an astonishingly bad idea.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well, my lungs feel ok but my head is full of snot and I feel tired.

I’m tempted to go anyway and walk the climbs on the pretence of having too as I’ve just fitted 170mm forks and have a big bouncy bike ( great excuse that)

Guess I can see how I feel in the morning … Mrs-to-be RRR is obviously trying to put me off but then she always does!

Flaperon

Yes. Last time I pushed myself hard with a minor cold, it developed into the worst one I’ve ever had. Stay at home and snooze.

theotherjonv

Same dilemma here. My normal policy is that all the time it’s above the neck, I’ll ride. If it goes lower (aches and pains, chest wheezes, etc.) then don’t.

But it’s going to be sunny and 20 degrees today. In mid October. So to say to bin it for now and go another day – it might be another 6 months before we get a day like this.

I’m in!

donsimon
    Free Member

I think you already know the answer, as people have said, listen to your body. If you have come on here to ask, you know the answer is that it’s a bad idea. I had a cold last week and took a week off the bike just to be sure, yeasterday was the first day and I took it really gentle, a lot of miles, but not pushing either breathing or heartrate…

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

No

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I didn’t ride 🙁

I still feel like **** 🙁

Cougar

What you need there is Cougar’s Cracking Cold Cure. I can post it up here if you like?

Drac

Why does this keep coming up.

If it’s a cold you’ll be fine, if it’s anything worse you’ll not feel like biking anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mrmo – Member

gently does it, listen to your body, do not train, should be ok.

as i have said before worst case scenario is you die, but the cases i have heard of were competative orienteers

Is my advice as well. Gentle pootle – fine. Race speed for hours – forget it

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Go on then Cougar – post away but I hope it involved single malt in some way…

yunki
    Free Member

LOL… many people all over the world have little choice but to walk or ride or other activities more strenuous.. cold or no cold.. be it to work.. or for their job.. or for their families..

If you’re really ill you’ll not even want to think about riding.. If you feel up to it then it’s unlikely to do you much harm..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes. But gently. The exercise will make you feel better.

Cougar

I hope it involved single malt in some way…

Probably a bad idea mixing with paracetemol…! Coming up:

Cougar

Cougar’s Cracking Cold Cure (patent pending).

Take a glass or, if you’re feeling particularly out of it, a mug. Add the
    following:

Lemon juice. The stuff cuts through phlegm like nothing else, so don’t be
    shy with it, get about a tablespoon or two in there at least.

Honey. About a teaspoon, put a bit more in if you’re a lightweight when it
    comes to the lemon juice. The honey takes the acidity off it, and is good for
    the throat. If you don’t have any honey (I never seem to) then sugar’s fine.

A Lemsip Cold & Flu Max Strength sachet. Catchy name, I know, but full of
    paracetemol, decongestant, and marrowbone jelly. Perhaps. But a bit light on
    the most important ingredient, vitamin C. So, you also need…

A Redoxon tablet. Lemon works best, but are harder to find. These bad boys
    contain 1000mg of Vitamin C! There are supermarket own-brand versions of these
    which are cheaper but some of ’em are only 500mg, so read the label.

Add boiling water up to about 1/3 of a pint. It’ll go like something out
    of a Jekyll & Hyde movie for a minute, when it calms down give it a good stir
    and top it up if needs be. Remember this is medicine though, don’t go making a
    quart of the stuff.

Retire to the boudoir, drink, sweat, feel better.

Drac

So out of all that you have Paracetamol the only thing that’ll do much good.

Cougar

Is someone forcing you to read this thread at gunpoint?

Drac

Is someone forcing you to read this thread at gunpoint?

What are you on about?

Cougar

You’ve made two posts, both complaining. If discussing colds bothers you, why are you reading it?

Drac

I made one wondering why it keep coming up and gave an answer.

I made another comment about your ‘cure’ saying that the only ingredient in it that will have any real effect is paracetamol. You know called joining in the conversation, can’t see where I said discussing colds bothers me.

Cougar

But go on then, I’ll bite.

You can’t ‘cure’ a cold. But you can help relieve its symptoms. Honey – soothes a sore throat. Lemon – breaks down snot and phlegm. Paracetemol – reduces fever. Decongestant – uh, decongests. Vitamin C – boosts your immune system allegedly, though I know there’s been claims that might not be the case recently and I CBA to google it. Nice warm drink – cheers you up and makes you feel better.

But yeah. Just trying to help.

Cougar

Maybe I misunderstood then, in which case I apologise. Far as I could see, it looked like you were being dismissive of the subject and then of my post. Always hard to tell tone in text.

Drac

Yup it is at times and your right you can’t cure but the only active ingredient is the paracetamol. The others are incidentals that may have some effect but not a great help. Still if you find it ‘soothes’ you then go for it.

brakes
    Free Member

I found this out a few years back:
    1 month cold + sudafed nasal spray + a couple of hours in the wind and rain = bronchitis
    you can ride with a cold, just don’t push it

djglover
    Free Member

Has no one said MTFU yet?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is it a really bad idea to ride with a cold? :-s’ is closed to new replies.