• This topic has 100 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Is hope stuff realy that good?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nickc – I don't have to eff about with the hopes either often.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Go on then, if it's so obvious

It's obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of scientific method. Google it.

nickc

Aye, cool.

I've mates who swear by them just like you. If you get a "good" pair they do seem pretty reliable tough brakes.

backhander
    Free Member

So, in summary hopes are powerful, easily repairble and good value if a little (10g) heavy.
    The same cannot be said for formula etc etc etc.
    Shimanos are good and rarely go wrong but if they do, buy a new set.
    The choice is yours.

nickc

Spot on I'd say, backhander

tangent
    Free Member

Interesting. With reference to the OP…"that they (the machinist) could make fairly easily" …no doubt they could, (in a Blue Peter style 'here's one we made earlier style). Howevere it seems to me that there's much more too engineering than just making something.

For instance could the same folk, design , develop, manufacture, market, and support the product? Then repeat for other products. It seems Hope Technology can do all that, and do it very well indeed. There was a imformative interview in an old issue of STrkMag which covered a some of the things mentioned in this thread…in particular the 'Hope' look was mentioned.

I just wish they'd get on and make some nice flat pedals.. What with it being the last product on a bike with bearings that they haven't yet produced…maybe that seatpost took up all the prototyping time!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

'bout right backhander

Tim
    Free Member

In my experience, Hope stuff is either brilliant…or frustrating.

I'm assuming its down to attempting tight tolerances…however if it goes a bit wrong then it shows…other times the QC seems off

I've had a set of mini's that were impossible to setup without them rubbing, and when they were setup ok the pistons would stick out at the slightest provocation

However I also had a mini that was absolutely perfect

My front Pro 2 ate 2 sets of bearings in a year

The rear one has been brilliant

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Hope were motorcycle trials riders that happened to be engineers and produced products for their trials bikes that they wanted to use.
    They moved on to mountainbiking as a hobby, and produced products for their own mountainbikes.
    People saw these products and wanted to buy them. So they quit their day jobs and produced them.
    Hope still produce products that mountainbikers want to buy and use.

The other major manufacturers produce products and market them at mountainbikers. Therein the difference lies.

Hope originally produced products to supply for demand. They've grown a bit now, but if people wanted to buy your snot you'd sell it to them I'd wager.

Other manufacturers market desgins to try to create demand for their products.

I'm a fan of Hope and Shimano brakes. Both work well and are easy to service.
    Hayes have been producing brakes since 1929, and they still can't make a brake I'd like to use regularly.

The best brake is the one YOU trust to stop you. It doesn't matter what brand or constuction they are, it's down to personal preference. Nobody can win an argument on this subject as we all have different needs.
    Just agree to disagree and get on with riding FFS.
    Hope brakes are worth the money if you like them. So is any other brake.

backhander
    Free Member

I'm with him ^^^^

Northwind

Loco, could it be any more obvious that you have no clue :mrgreen: "It's obvious", but you can't say any more than that. Ho hum.

Clue- instead of banging on abotu scientific methodology, tell us why this particular test's methodology is "laughable". Wheel goes round, brake slows it, results are recorded. You wouldn't want to submit it for peer review but then that's not the purpose of the test.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

A bike forum is no place for you to get an education Northwind – try the local FE college. Happy to help

theboatman
    Free Member

I'm with skyline-gtr! I like hope as a company and rate their products; currently running their hubs on my road bike and soul, and using their headset and ceramic bb. I used to be a dedicated user of their brakes until my front mini mono decided that the nut holding the hose onto the caliper would come loose halfway down a scotish hillside, and just dump brake fluid onto the rotor when I tried to stop. Now I don't blame hope, and am still a customer of theirs, but the very visible remaining scar on my wrist means I won't trust their brakes again, and whilst somewhat irrational, I have to trust my kit, and whilst another freak incident could strike my lovely louise's, it hasn't yet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just a thought, but has anyone read this thread and thought either: –

a) I've been wrong about Hope, Shimano aren't all that, I'm going to switch my brakes.

or
    b) I've been wrong about Shimano, Hope aren't all that, I'm going to switch my brakes.

Just for the record, I have two bikes worth of e4s that still run perfectly (so perfectly that I can't justify getting the new M4s no matter how much I want them)

I also have 4 wheels worth BULB hubs that I love to bits. I've even have a pair of Pro II hubs in the spares box for when I get a new cross frame with disc mounts.

nickegg
    Free Member

theboatman…..It's clearly yourself you shouldn't trust. Brake hoses don't just decide to leave a caliper 🙄

FOG

Whatever the merits of various brakes, you have to make compromises regarding price , too. If two brakes do a good job do you buy Hope or say, Shimano which are can be not far off half the price? Obviously if money is no object you choose on all the other criteria. I recently needed to replace some terrible Formulas and very nearly bought Hopes but ended up with SLXs mainly because they were £40 cheaper a wheel and I had had good experiences with previous Shimanos

i like the hubs, i have one on my hardtail and have run it for four years no complaints. Got one on my orange alpine and I snapped the pawls and internal axle after a couple of months! That might just have been bad luck though! So i guess I am saying I like the hubs! Plus I like the noise!!!!

i have some moto v2 brakes and they are complete shite! They work for a week, then bust then go back to the shop get bled checked out etc then are amazing for a week. Then the whole process repeats itself! Its not just one either its bloody both!!!!!

Going to get myself some saints! fit and forget!

nonk
    Free Member

i used to be in the hope camp,had most things on my bike hubs,brakes,headset,bb then i noticed other manufacturers stuff started looking nicer getting lighter etc. then i bought a pair of mini pro brakes which just did not stop me (and i am a light bloke) when i tried to sort it i was told that i should have bought a normal mini.great. 🙄
    had allways had hope untill then.

pypdjl
    Free Member

pypdjl, is that genuinely all you've got?

No, it's not all I have got, but you asked why it was obvious to someone with a basic grasp of science. Without an estimate of the error in the measurements, the graphs are totally meaningless.

theboatman
    Free Member

Nickegg-you are so right 🙄 I now stop every hundred yards to check all nuts, ride at moderate speeds on smooth surfaces to avoid vibration, and never ride near any obsticles that could obstruct my progress. For what it's worth, the brass nut insert simply came loose, it had been fine for the 5 hours riding up to that point. When I called at the nearest bike shop to get a spanner for the nut, the chap kindly popped out tightened it up and said 'they don't usually do that'. I'm reasonably good at a quick pre-ride bike check and lube, as in 'owt loose? Brakes work, gears works, tyres ok , qr's tight etc, and this has stood me good for 20 odd years. Sometimes things break, it happens, but given your stance I'm glad you have 100% eliminated risk from your life, well done.

nonk
    Free Member

it used to happen to me boatman on the front brake.
    i realised it was the way i was putting it in the car.the banjo was leaning on something and as i drove it was enough to moove it loose.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Is hope stuff realy that good?’ is closed to new replies.