• This topic has 50 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Is every building tradesman in the south of England a completely useless twunt?
  • JulianA
    Free Member

About a week ago I asked an electrician, a builder and a gas fitter to get in touch with someone regarding things that need doing and none of them have done so.

They haven’t even made contact to arrange an appointment, let alone been and done anything. How many sodding times do I have to ask people to do things?

This is by no means the first time that building tradesmen have let us down and my opinion that a lot of building tradesmen in Britain are useless asshats is in no way lessened.

Utter, utter waste of space, the lot of them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well they obviously don’t need your work and have plenty on, which suggests that they are not “useless twunts”.

nealglover
    Free Member

As above, they are probably busy working.

JulianA
    Free Member

A simple call to make an appointment, having said that they would do so, would have been courteous and professional – something that is very uncommon in this country.

One is new to us, the other two have form for this.

How sodding hard is it to make a phone call, and why do I bloody well have to chase these morons all the time?

Don’t suggest that we find someone else – they all seem to be the same.

As before – effing useless and unreliable. Just about sums up the building trades in this country.

JulianA
    Free Member

Oh, and if you don’t have the capacity to take on the work, don’t bloody well say that you will do it in the first place.

Asshats.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One is new to us, the other two have form for this.

How many chances are you giving them.

Don’t suggest that we find someone else – they all seem to be the same.

Well if you keep going back to the ones who don’t show….

Are they one man bands? Try somewhere with a boss and someone to make the appointments.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the other two have form for this.

I’m sure the answer is obvious but I can’t figure it out, why did you offer them work if they “have form for this” ?

JulianA
    Free Member

I did just mention that the new one is turning out the same…

How many chances? Too bloody many it would seem.

Yes, one man bands. That could well be our mistake, but bigger companies seem to charge extremely large amounts of money.

All will be getting very snotty telephone calls today!

JulianA
    Free Member

@ernie – because they’re all the bloody same and it’s ‘better the devil you know’!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are they one man bands? Try somewhere with a boss and someone to make the appointments.

The problem with somewhere with a boss and someone to make the appointments is that overheads start kicking in and with that comes higher prices.

People like one man bands because they’re cheap. The problem with them is they’ve got no slack in the way a firm employing several people has. If the sole traders work overruns, as it often does, then everyone has to wait. Plus of course they can’t afford to spend time without any work so the tendency is to take on more rather than less.

JulianA
    Free Member

@ernie – but is it so very hard to call and explain if there is a delay? If I just turn up on site a week late I should expect my customer to make some fairly pithy comments at the very least…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Perhaps they don’t find you to be a very approachable person ?

Do as Mike suggests and make an appointment with a reputable building firm which employs staff. Expect to pay them for their services though.

If you want to save money and be your own project manger then expect to have to chase people.

scrumfled
    Free Member

the common factor seems to be you/the job.

Is it small beans? are you being demanding? I had someone ask for written plans and a quote for job that would make £50 profit. they didnt get a return call…. why waste my time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

see above for the example, working for a small business the small jobs can kill you. All the profit is taken up by quoting and visiting and calling and putting off other work, then it’s always more than they think and then they are never happy 🙂 (Consulting not building) If it’s too small it will go onto the “when I get a chance pile”. Unless you can find a good local who is working to keep themselves busy rather than making a living then you will struggle.

batfink
    Free Member

I read somewhere that tradesmen are the only real men anyway – and you are merely a boy wearing your dads suit. On that basis, you should not expect them to lower themselves to your level. They are sculpting the future FFS!

We tried to get a plumber-in at my OHs rented flat in the big london. We ended up going to Pimlico plumbers in the end, on the basis that they returned the call 😕 I begrudged paying through the nose for Pimlico – but once you factor in your time/stress/hassle, i recon they are actually cheaper.

chorlton
    Free Member

It’s not easy as a one man band to deal with customers. Out the door in the morning after sorting the kids out. Drive/cycle to job, set yourself up. Do work. Repeat.
    I bearley get a minute to text never mind call someone.
    Bloody annoying though when someone doesn’t get back to you I know.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Try putting your jobs into ratedpeople.co.uk.

bruneep

All will be getting very snotty telephone calls today!

That’ll certainly encourage them to turn up.

Drac

Does seem to be one common denominator amongst this. I’d take a guess that the trade guys get work if they’re still in business, so I wonder what the issue is.

jools182
    Free Member

The ones in the North are useless too

hth

nickjb
    Free Member

Does seem to be one common denominator amongst this

Yes. The building trade. It does seem to be a sector where you can get away with this sort of behaviour. Any other job and you’d go out of business. Ernie makes a good point that if you are project managing then chasing is part of that job but it is still frustrating.

We’ve been doing some works recently and I’d say about 1 in 10 get back to you when they say they will.

matt_outandabout

Drac, I think I have the answer to this one. 😉

Drac

Yes. The building trade.

No, try again.

nickjb
    Free Member

No, try again

Go on then, enlighten me. It can’t be the OP because this happens to a lot of people so what is it?

BillMC

There does seem to be something about the building trade that makes people think that normal expectations of returning calls and timekeeping don’t apply to them. I say that on the back of experience with members of the family in the trade and having just completed having 2 houses refurbed in the last 2 years. It makes people stressed and resentful and I’m sure it’s all eminently avoidable.
    I’m spending today stuck waiting/hoping for the shed people to turn up.

Drac

Go on then, enlighten me. It can’t be the OP because this happens to a lot of people so what is it?

Seems to happen every time with the OP, where I as I’ve never had an issue. Sometimes the client or job just aren’t worth their time. Of course the OP could try calling them back but that must be too much of an effort.

igm

Good thing we’re in the EU so you can hire some easy Europeans. 😉

Kryton57

Try putting your jobs into ratedpeople.co.uk.

Yeah ok. After the app telling us it was contacting 1600 selected firms, we got a call from one who quoted nearly £4k to decorate the downstairs and upstairs hallway. Which I ended up doing myself at the cost of three Saturday’s and £200 materials.

matt_outandabout

@igm

I know a Polish chap who lectures o on building at his local college – he brought two students with him for the summer to work on our old house… 😉

cheekyboy
    Free Member

One of my riding buddies is a builder, he never returns calls when we are trying to arrange weekend rides !

He always turns up though !

How sodding hard is it to make a phone call, and why do I bloody well have to chase these morons all the time?

Does your attitude towards the horny handed serf come across when you do eventually speak to them ???

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Seriously, how does one go about becoming a builder? I quite fancy some DIY but I have a hard time knowing which end of the nail is up. Is there a City and Guilds course or something I can take?

hooli

I predict this doesn’t end well for the OP 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Plenty of that here in the East Midlands. A colleague of mine is having his £50k grand designs extension royally screwed over by teams of incompetent sub contractors.

igm

Just noticed East Europeans not easy Europeans. Sorry

winston
    Free Member

two different builds going on on my morning commute – one extension and one new driveway/garden redesign. Both are being handled in a way that makes me very glad they are not my houses, the driveway team are comical

On the other hand my neighbour is having an extension and the builder is excellent – good workmanship, everything tidy at the end of the day so as not to inconvenience other people in the road etc,

This fully and completely scientifically backs up my hunch that 2 thirds of tradesmen are cowboys

littlegem
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve been reading all your comments with interest. My name is Becca and I work at a TV company called Little Gem.

We are looking for people who are currently having difficulty with their builders. Our expert might be able to help.

If you’re interested in finding out more send me an email – rebeccemoss@littlegem.tv

Thanks!

cheers_drive

On one hand I can see how a small business / one man band may not answer their phone during the day and also has problems with time waters / tyre kickers, but it is so frustrating to deal with their inability to return messages within a reasonable timeframe.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dunno – is every one called Julian a boorish middleclass physically inept whinging machine?

iffoverload
    Free Member

Bit of a lottery really, but having worked for my fair share of “profesional” building companies I would say that they charge mcuh more and do not seem to be any better in general, though you do get to talk to someone.. rarely makes a difference.

as a one man band first thing I ask is are you in a hurry? if so I usually suggest they find someone else 😉

cookeaa

Sounds like you want the trades to be self organising TBH that’s is what Good Project Managers are for…

Like you say any outfit that can coordinate and manage multiple disciplines tend to cost more, but there comes a point at which that extra spend starts looking like it did have some value, typically that’s when winter is imminent and your extension is just a bit of rain sodden stud work with an old tarp flapping around it…

Save time or save money? which would you prefer?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Is every building tradesman in the south of England a completely useless twunt?’ is closed to new replies.