Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is Epping forest muddy at the moment??
  • Radioman

Hi ! Im just about to go out for my first ride for a week as i’ve been away. Does anybody know what epping conditions are like?…the sun is out and I’m going to get ready!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh, it’s bin raining a bit but reasonably warm, so probbly not too bad. The rain hazzunt bin really heavy or persistent. Probbly rideable still, but give it a few more weeks and more rain and it’ll be a bog as it usually is this time of year until either it gets really cold in Winter and dries out a bit, or Spring.

Problem is the number of mtbers and horseriders churing it all up. Best to stay away when it’s really muddy, otherwise it gets ruined. 🙁

I’m hoping to get a ride in soon before it becomes a quagmire…

Radioman

Cheers for that… I’ll put the mud guard on! I agree with you on the quagmire bit! certainly after the leaves have gone it gets bad if its warm and wet…I stay away from epping riding for most of the wet months…

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

im really depressed atm given that i havnt been MTBing for a good 6 months now 😥 My poor rockhopper is now my commute bike….

Hopefully soon will be joining you out there in Epping once i get a new MTB 😀

Conditions are typical of epping atm, boggy due to clay but is good enough to ride on, as i was cross country running there

Kryton57

I was there Sunday and its a dry as a bone, just slightly damp on exposed areas such a bridleways – the rain isnt soaking in to the singletrack so its dries the very next day in the wind & sun.

I shall be there tomorrow and Sunday also…. you don’t need a mudguard yet.

senorj

not really , just damp.
    I ‘m going in the morning – trying to enjoy it while you still can.

As elfin says – it does get a load more traffic these days – when it gets stupid I also stay away till it’s drier/frozen solid.

Radioman

Got back a bit earlier. It was still relatively dry with very few damp bits… Great riding at the mo. The carpet of leaves is stopping puddles forming…a lot of the single track is bone dry as per summer…was great …Thanks!

jedi

i’m off to broxbourne/farmersboy in a bit too 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

probably quiet crap now had bad rain last night
    Just don’t know why when its really muddy the horses
    still go down and churn it up.

Also the frigging over 35’ers group do a lot of damage
    as they ride everything backwards ?

Ti-Jane
    Free Member

Gosh! I didn’t realise the singletracks in Epping were all one way!

leffebelly
    Free Member

Grantway

I’m intrigued. Over35’s riding everything backwards.

Not literally, surely?

Most of Epping’s single track, especially from High Beech north and east is fairly dry right now although as usual it won’t take much rain to turn it gloopy.

jedi

all dry where i was 🙂

khani
    Free Member

If anyones still interested, I’ve just got back from Epping, it’s bloody wet there now 😯

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yup just driven down old Epping road and can confirm that if it wasn’t muddy before it will be so now.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, it”l be a bit slippery now! Mind, if it don’t rain for a few days it should hold up. Otherwise, it’s Mud Tyre Time!

Khani; I din’t know you were so close by. We’ll have to meet up sometime.

I’ve noticed a few slatted benches in Epping. I’m quite concerned. 😐

khani
    Free Member

Don’t get there that often, I work silly hours and weekends so get more days off in the week when everyone else is working 😕
    But I’m always up for a pedal an a pint/tea/cake…or all three 😀
    No slatted bench’es tho…..pleeeeeeese 😯

Kryton57

Was dry yesterday, its rained twice since and is still raining now. I’ve just put the mud tyres on.

C’est la vie, we’ve had a good run of it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Khani, weekdays are good for me! Was going to go tomoz actually not sure now, might wait see if it rains any more.

we’ve had a good run of it.

TBH, it has bin pretty good this year so far. Some years it’s made the Somme look dessicated….

Kryton57

I’m riding sunday if anyone fancies a loop sampling the bacon rolls at whipps cross?

khani
    Free Member

I’ve just had my days off til not this one but next weekend then I’m off weds/Thursday after that, hopefully the rain will have eased off by then
    Give me a shout when your free an we’ll sort it out
    I mean it about the benches tho….. 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is Epping forest muddy at the moment??’ is closed to new replies.