Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is Cav the new Cippolini?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So looking at the recent events that Cav has been up to, is he the new Cippolini?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8652628.stm

Talkemada
    Free Member

He's not that interesting.

pastcaring
    Free Member

who?

😀

jordie
    Free Member

He really trys to hard to be cool i think.

westkipper
    Free Member

I think he's great, I kind of like him more for his daft turns, its just the opposite to the stage-managed media friendly clones that sport turns out.
    I only hope that pulling him out is a damage limitation exercise for the team and not a sign that they're trying to push him out.

markd
    Free Member

I think he's great, I kind of like him more for his daft turns, its just the opposite to the stage-managed media friendly clones that sport turns out.

or thats what they want you to think…

headlines is headlines.

westkipper
    Free Member

No, Markd, if you remember his first tour, where he was getting swamped on the run ins to the finish, and he was in tears, you can tell he really gets emotional and often does the wrong thing, but I don't think its that cynical.
    Cippo' often did stupid things, but through the filter of Italian passion, we all kind of laughed along at it too.
    Mind you, I wouldn't want Cav as a next door neighbour!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was never sure about him but I do think he has put up with some cr** and you have to have an ego to be a good sprinter! Just makes me chuckle every time he does something and just reminds me a bit of Cippo, sparkly shorts, crazy celebrations, abuse, getting fined etc! Going to make TDF interesting though as he's in it for green or nothing.

westkipper
    Free Member

If you look back at some of the unreasonable demands and rules SuperMario would make of his teammates, it did set a real precedent for behaving like a ***k within sprinters teams, though I could never work out how much of that was stage-management (a bit like J-Lo's entourage)

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

through the filter of Italian passion, we all kind of laughed along at it too.

I think he's good fun and if he was a continental most Brits would too. The problem is that we seem to want our riders to be characterless bores model professionals without any flair or excitement who just get on with the job. IMO, it's part of the psyche that makes him succesful, let him get on with it and enjoy the show.

aP
    Free Member

The thing is, Cav is a gobby Scouser. His autobiography suggests that there's more to him, however within months of professing his love for his long time girlfriend and promising that he's not going to change he's ditched her for a Paraguayan model, bought an Audi R8 and gone all shiny suit.
    Will he follow Hincapie next year as he seems happier around George and appears increasingly alone at Columbia HTC.

piha
    Free Member

Mmmmmmm, girl next door v Latino model & R8 😉

I agree with Heathenwoods points and I hope that Cav doesn't self destruct in the meantime. There are people outside the sport that are starting to notice him and his antics and that is good for the sport. IMHO.

jonb
    Free Member

He's always been a bit of a tantrum thrower. First I new of him he was throwing his bike around after something broke on a sprint.

I think it's just part of his personality. It's probably what makes him the rider he is, I imagine a bit of anger and aggression is helpful in a bunch sprint.

Rochey
    Free Member

In a word NO, Chippo all the way!!!

IdleJon

My wife fancies Cipo, even now. She's never mentioned any enduring love for Cav!

jonb – Member
    He's always been a bit of a tantrum thrower. First I new of him he was throwing his bike around after something broke on a sprint.

Have you never thrown your bike in the middle of a race? I have.. 😳

Talkemada
    Free Member

Chippo has charisma and 'star quality'. Cavendish is merely a gobby tantrum-thrower with a face like a spoilt toddler.

Smoking fags:

Mad outfits:

Ridiculous hair:

Silly ads:

Face like a spoilt toddler:

No contest really, is it? 😀

westkipper
    Free Member

Hmmm, you may have a point there, Talkemada.
    They're both entertainment value though!
    One parallel is the inevitability of their sprint -you know that if they get to the 300m mark its 'who's gonna stop them'- and not many, usually.
    Actually, Cav's bolshieness reminds me a bit of Robbie Mcewen, who always seem to come over quite well to the media, but was actively disliked by a lot of fellow pro cyclists.
    Mcewen never calmed down and said sorry afterwards though.

Soup
    Free Member

Cipo had charisma.

MrSmith
    Free Member

cipo has an interesting twitter page

crazy-legs

The thing is, Cav is a gobby Scouser.

Cavendish is merely a gobby tantrum-thrower with a face like a spoilt toddler.

He's not a Scouser, he's from the Isle of Man.
    He's not gobby either, he's actually quite quietly spoken, really nice guy.

He's young, extremely talented and could perhaps do with a bit of media training but the thing is that every time he's interviewed it's right after a stage – you've just ridden 100+ miles through dust/mud/hail/sun/wind, survived crashes, got the team organised into a lead out train and put absolutely everything into the last 300m – immediately afterwards dozens of journos are sticking a microphone into your face and asking daft questions. Can hardly blame him for a few out-of-place comments every once in a while.
    The same media that was fawning over him during the Tour is now saying he's a flash-in-the-pan/one trick wonder etc, of course he's going to get wound up. Bit of a misjudgement expressing himself the way he did but I've seen worse tantrums from far less talented riders…

westkipper
    Free Member

When I saw him doin' the vee sign I actually laughed out loud- the same reaction when I first saw Cipollini in his 'flayed' skin suit, or some of his other antics.
    I think he should make it his trademark. 🙂

ratherbeintobago

He's not a Scouser, he's from the Isle of Man.

You have to admit that the Manx are, well, a bit Scouse though 😛

Andy

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is Cav the new Cippolini?’ is closed to new replies.