Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is Bamboo the new Merino?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bought a long sleeved base layer today at the local Army surplus and its made of Bamboo with some other stuff in there too. First impressions are that it feels remarkably similar to the merino NBL top I had to send back to Howies as it developed loads of little holes. It was only £17 and feels nice and warm in the house but will give it a proper test on the bike tomorrow night. Anybody else bought any bamboo based clothes.

rOcKeTdOg

i have a bamboo tshirt, very comfy but feels a bit 'baggy' somehow, needs some lycra in the mix or similar i think, wool is more sustainable but bamboo has less of a 'methane' effect, so dunno really

bassspine
    Free Member

I've got a couple of bamboo base layer tees. Very soft, warm, and don't get smelly too quickly. I'd say warmer than merino. I like them.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

bamboo thread is made by chemically disgesting the bamboo and extruding it through nozzles (it's called viscose), so it cannot be expected to have the properties of merino wool. I have a T shirt made of it, and it feels soft and comfortable…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Mine has stretchiness to it, not something to wear if you are a porker.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Soft and comfortable….but?

theotherjonv

I've got a merino base layer which is very nice. I can't say I'll be going for bamboo, it's the fear of being hunted down for food by pandas that puts me off mainly.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Anybody tried any heavier weight tops, brand reccomendations?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Dont wear it anywhere near a Panda.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Oh dear mcmoonter, theotherjonv beat you to the really obvious joke. I expected better from the STW collective. Anyway there are no Panda's round here, just grizzlies. 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is Bamboo the new Merino?’ is closed to new replies.