Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Is anything proven to help muscles heal quicker?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Just started doing group rides, but the guys are fast and my legs don’t feel 100% even after a weeks rest. Is there anything that is proven to aid recovery time? Or should I just eat a normal healthy balanced diet?

Hopefully my recovery time will decrease as I get fitter too, but i’m already fairly fit.

wors

EPO

poppa
    Free Member

Eat potatoes only?
    Enthusiastically prostrate oneself?

uplink
    Free Member

EDIT: neck it as soon as you’ve finished working hard

twinklydave

Extra Pie Order

(i’m guessing you already use a recovery drink straight after the ride and do a gentle spin or two during the week to free your legs up a bit?)

geoffj

Oxygen Tent

wors

Eat Pies Only, silly

I find necking a pint of water with 3 tablespoons of glucose powedr does the trick. Was only about a pound for a box from the pharmacy

njee20
    Free Member

Protein.

turneround

ask Lance Armstrong, he’s got great doctors that know all about this

Mister-P
    Free Member

Protein and avoid alcohol as it interferes with your body processing it.

badblood
    Free Member

If you are really sick (in the head), an ice bath helps them recover but it takes some comitment.

I have to use EPO for medical reasons and must admit when I started on it the difference it made to my riding was huge for me, I went from being well at the back to keeping up with people and not collapsing on climbs. However, using it unprescribed can have very serious side effects (thickening of the blood for one).

Also try rubbing Tiger balm into your legs pre and post ride see if that helps.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you’ve not recovered after a week you are doing something wrong:

Carbs straight after, stretch, hydrate, recovery spin the day after, eat properly, don’t booze too much & don’t overtax yourself physically or at work.

If you are jumping to a much higher level though it may just take a while to get used to it.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Whey protein shake.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Carbs straight after, stretch, hydrate, recovery spin the day after, eat properly, don’t booze too much & don’t overtax yourself physically or at work.

say WHAT ?? Unless you’re intending to become an athlete just do and eat normal stuff FFS!

don’t overtax yourself physically

diddums :o) sheesh! What, and buy a walking stick ?

ourmaninthenorth

I use whey protein powder mixed with anything up to 500ml orange juice. Mix it up straight after the ride and drink within the magic 20 minute window after finishing the ride. Helps lots.

However, if, as you say, your legs are not 100% right a week later, it sounds like you’re pushing yourself too much on these rides.

So, definitely help yourself by drinking protein, laying off the booze, stretching and going for steady – i.e. really steady where grannies may overtake you – recovery rides.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

within the magic 20 minute window after finishing the ride

some of us have stopped believing in magic and fairies…

ourmaninthenorth

I have to use EPO for medical reasons and must admit when I started on it the difference it made to my riding was huge for me, I went from being well at the back to keeping up with people and not collapsing on climbs. However, using it unprescribed can have very serious side effects (thickening of the blood for one).

Only this morning I was thinking about the apparent benefits of caffeine on exercise. Given that I don’t drink tea or coffee, I decided that trying caffeine tablets might do the trick.

And then I realised that way doping lies. So, it’s convenient you posted – got any spare EPO for sale..? 😉

ourmaninthenorth

barnes – you’re a c*ck.

But you amuse me, so carry on.

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

SFB in “not having a clue” shocker!

All those make a huge difference when incorporating high level training with a normal life. Where did I say not to “eat nrmal stuff”?

Do try harder.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

protein and a mix of carbs imediately afterwards

easy spin home (or 20 min at the end of the ride)

several more easy spins during the week (30-60min is ideal recovery time)

no alcohol for 48-72 hours after strenuous excerise (untill legs stop feeling sore).

HGH, If you can get it that is!

Compression shorts/tights improve circulation and reduce recovery times.

Lots of sleep

And alternate the shower between freezing cold and boiling hot on the aiming at affected muscles, hot or cold therapy alone were proved ineffective (particularly hot baths, they were purely psycological) but alternating the two for 20-30 seconds each (or longer if you can stand it) was proved to help.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

If you’ve not recovered after a week you are doing something wrong:

If you are jumping to a much higher level though it may just take a while to get used to it.

this is sensible advice from Al.

Many folk swear by protein after exercise and this “magi window” Or recovery drinks. Myself I am very dubious about the benefits for the weekend warrier

cynic-al
    Free Member

Magic window is well proven and works for me but will only matter if you’ve depleted your glycogen. I’ve read that you can have any carbs at all at this time – preferably simple. I don’t know about the protein angle.

poppa
    Free Member

Cool, all good stuff. I must admit, it’s not just one ride a week. I do a group ride and then at least one other excercise e.g. another solo ride or circuit training. Interesting about the alcohol, given that I am partial to the odd beverage.

turneround – cheers for that, could you give me Lance’s number please?

ourmaninthenorth

Many folk swear by protein after exercise and this “magi window” Or recovery drinks. Myself I am very dubious about the benefits for the weekend warrier

I ride daily (commuting) and train specifically 3 or 4 days a week. I train hard when I do, and so find that protein makes a big difference to how much my legs ache the next day. I have no reason to doubt the efficacy of the 20 minute window, so come back through the door and, as I gather myself, mix up and drink the protein.

Jamie
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth:

I use whey protein powder mixed with anything up to 500ml orange juice. Mix it up straight after the ride and drink within the magic 20 minute window after finishing the ride. Helps lots.

No carbs?

srrc
    Free Member

Be younger, about 18 ideally.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB in “not having a clue” shocker!

All those make a huge difference when incorporating high level training with a normal life

well I’m sorry but all that advice above looks like total hogwash to me :O) Eating certain things at certain times or wearing granny tights ? Didn’t you forget to mention dancing naked round the maypole while sprinkling oneself with the urine of virgins and keeping a rabbit’s foot under your pillow ?

‘knowledge’ of superstition doesn’t amount to a hill of beans (which you might eat to more useful effect 🙂

I’ve read that you can have any carbs at all at this time – preferably simple.

you do realise that all carbs have to be broken down into glucose before they’re absorbed ?

This all sounds exactly like witchcraft. If it works it’s because having a definite plan feels more positive than none. We’re all highly suggestible, and it’s part of perception to look for categorisable patterns, to the extent that we often see them when there are none (like seeing faces in the clouds)

‘knowledge’ of superstition doesn’t amount to a hill of beans – which you might as well eat to better effect 🙂

And alternate the shower between freezing cold and boiling hot on the aiming at affected muscles

it just gets better doesn’t it ? “Now what can we get them to do ?” :o)

andylaightscat
    Free Member

SFB,tried any of the above suggestions? or just too busy standing on your soapbox? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Simon – there is actual double blind studies on some of this stuff. real proper science There is no doubt it works in people under severe physical stress such as TDF or extreme endurance athletes.

My doubts are about its value in the weekend warrier.

If you want to pour scorn on it it would be useful if you actually had a clue what you are talking about.

clareymorris

S T R E T C H especially after your ride 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB,tried any of the above suggestions?

I prefer a strict nachos & dandelion and burdock diet :o)

As for “trying”, I’ve already pointed out that experimenting on yourself is unlikely to reveal anything objective. And in any case I have no pains after a ride unless I crash!

S T R E T C H especially after your ride

wasn’t stretching found to be harmful ?

radoggair
    Free Member

wasn’t stretching found to be harmful ?

only if your muscles are not warmed up properly, yes, after a muscle warming ride, i very much doubt so

garlic
    Free Member

Stay well clear of peanuts and whack off a lot. Failing that, just ride more and don’t get too ratted the night before a ride, ie- make sure you are properly hydrated.

rs
    Free Member

Athletes are human too. What works for them should also be of some benefit to the average guy.

crazy-legs

I tend to only use recovery drinks if I’ve been racing. For normal riding/training etc it’s just a normal healthy diet, not too much alcohol and get enough rest.

I used to have regular sports massage too, only have it about 4-5 times a years now but it definitely helps. That and stretching.

votchy
    Free Member

No carbs?

Pure orange juice contains 56.7g CHO per 500mls so quite a lot of carbohydrate there then

Dango
    Free Member

I’m with SimonBarnes on this, how funny is this thread.

And for the record I often go for a beer with my mates after a ride

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you want to pour scorn on it it would be useful if you actually had a clue what you are talking about.

I think you’ll find that’s not necessary :o)

I am willing to concede that at the limit of human performance there may be slight benefit to some specific foods and timings, but for ordinary biking it’s completely unnecessary.

theflatboy
    Free Member

turneround – Member

ask Lance Armstrong, he’s got great doctors that know all about this

as a point of interest, are you and singletrack aware that writing this sort of thing leaves you both exposed to libel lawsuits?

crikey
    Free Member

If group rides are leaving you bollixed for a week, you’re not ‘fairly fit’…

Training is all about adaptation; you need to train to be able to adapt to the faster pace, and all the recovery methods outlined and maligned above wont help if you’re not going out and training yourself in the first place.

If the fastest you ever ride is with the group, you’ll always suffer, so get out on your own and make it hurt, then rest, then do it again.

Sounds like you’re not doing enough, so the weekly shock is flattening you; do more, do it harder.

Specificity is the key in bike training.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Is anything proven to help muscles heal quicker?’ is closed to new replies.