• This topic has 114 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Is anyone riding a Trek Slash 29 yet?
  • sharkattack

Just curious you see. I’ve been riding a steel hardtail for years in blissful ignorance of shiny new gadgets, but I love the look of the new Trek Slash 29. (Also have access to cyclesheme for the first time!)

I’ve never fancied a Trek. Never been tempted by plastic. No interest in massive wheels. But if I’m going to modernise my ride I might as well go all in right?

Plus, holy shit just look at it;

The best thing is that they’ve made the cheapest one a million times better looking than the super expensive red one. So I’ll be quite happy with the Rock Shox version I think.

I’m just asking on here because there’s no proper reviews yet apart from a few previews. I know they’ve started landing at dealers but I haven’t seen one in the flesh yet.

I don’t mind if they don’t fly up hills. As long as it can do a passable impression of a DH bike in the Alps and the occasional British uplift. Maybe some of the Northern Downhill enduro races. And ideally replace my hardtail for every day up and downy stuff.

I don’t really need the DH bike anymore and I’m over the novelty value of the hardtail. I’d love to get something to do the job of both. Maybe this Trek or a Stumpjumper.

stewartc
    Free Member

Bookmarking this as looking to get one once I sell my Liteville, tempted by the 9.9 but the 9.8 does look better bar losing the SRAM Eagle drive train (though XX1 isn’t a bad cheaper alternative).
    The new Remedy looks like a bargain also, especially the 9.9 RSL version.

thecroust
    Free Member

But it will fly up hills, won’t it? The wheels are massive. I’ve been wondering similar things, the monster truck effect seems more appealing all the time. I would be concerned about manoeuverability though, especially as I only weigh 9st and don’t muscle my bike around.
    There’s also these to consider, I really like the look of them:

sharkattack

The Sram Eagle stuff puts me off the 9.9 to be honest. I don’t want to pay over £200 every time I need a cassette. I’m still on 1×10 with and there’s nothing I can’t winch my way up. I don’t feel like I ‘need’ 12 sprockets. The 1×11 will massively increase my current range anyway.

Then there’s the Fox suspension. My experience may be a bit out of date but is it still a bit inconsistent? As in, no two units feel the same? Hopefully they’ve improved while I wasn’t paying attention but I couldn’t help notice that X2 recall.

There’s just nothing on the 9.9 that makes me feel I’d be missing out. And the 9.8 looks like the Batmobile. The 9.9 looks like Where’s Wally’s jumper.

Yes, the Nukeproof Mega looks amazing. But, for the purposes of incredible discounts, I’m sticking with Trek or Spesh.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would really like to have a go on the new Slash I think my main concern would be that the seattube length with that kink is too short to get a 150 dropper working right?

I have demoed the Mega 290 and it is a great bike. I Currently own a BMC Trailfox TF01 after riding for 3 months now it is really growing on me. It’s very playful and picks up speed in a really crazy way that scared me at first I definitely had to re-adjust to what it was capable of. It’s not a plush bike though it’s very stiff and racy, very different to my Transition Scout which is ultra plush (until it runs out of travel).

Northwind

I’m on a slacked out remedy 29 with 36s just now so yeah, I’d love a go on a slash, it looks awesome. But I can’t afford it, is the sad truth. Maybe in a couple of years I’ll find a used one.

The Mega 290 kicks ass too, mind- if I had to buy a new bike tomorrow it’d be in with a look, it just felt immediately right under me. (I testrode a couple as part of Project Get ChrisL On A Proper Bike). Had a trailfox too but didn’t get on so well with the rear suspension even with a CCDB Air in it.

Massive honkin 29ers rule basically.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was seriously tempted, but discussions pushed me towards the Fuel EX instead – the Slash was just going to be WAAAAY too much bike for what I need! Plus I ride on my own a lot, the idea of going as fast as that bike would encourage – and having a “moment” would be terrifying 😉

It does look seriously sexy though!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Might just be the pictures, but the top tube looks really short. No problem at all when pointed down steep stuff, but will feel a bit odd the rest of the time.

Northwind

The middle sizes have 430mm and 455mm (*) of reach respectively- not massive tbh, it’s no geometron, but not stubby either. The seat tube’s a pretty wacky shape so the proportions are a little hard to gauge I think.

(* there’s a couple of different geometry charts out there but this seems to be the right one)

TBH I’m more curious about the suspension, it’s pretty brave to change that- the old setup with the drcv re:activ shock in it is kind of godly, I remember Dirt just said “without peer” (mine has a cheeky upgrade off a team bike in it but it came with the stock, bottom end shock and even with that it was excellent)

Never thought I’d be a Trek fanboi 😆

Pridds

Mines awaiting collection from the bike shop. Well excited understates it. Please can someone buy my nomad frame so i can upgrade the wheels!

stewartc
    Free Member

Like to run a 150mm dropper which looks like it may be an issue on that kinked seat stay but from what I have seen on-line so far may be that a good thing as a number of reviews have mentioned rear tire rub when leaning over the back, never owned a 29er so is that an issue?
    Run SRAM 1×11 on both my bikes at the moment (SB5c/601) and would trade up to 1×12 if possible, I do live near trails that require lots of climbs to get to them so every little helps.
    Plus Id like a red bike so the 9.9 has the lead and loving Fox suspension at the mo bar the recent X2 problems, cant get the Slash in HK though until February apparently 🙁

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

i will be riding/racing for a Trek dealer next year so did have an idle look over these, but that’s as far as it got, for quite a few reasons.

The sizing, the weight, the slightly odd geometry & the fact it’s massive all put me off.

IMO the Fuel EX is probably the better bike, unless you plan on a full season of lift assisted enduro racing.

sharkattack

That’s my concern about the Slash. I’m not into the ‘too much bike’ way of thinking, but it might be just the wrong bike. I currently live in Sheffield not Whistler. As much as I’d love to spend all day smashing down the roughest trails in the world, I’ll spend most of the time dragging it up and over the Peaks in exchange for short descents. We do try to get to Europe in the van every summer and it would be nice to carry just two bikes instead of four.

But, my current hardtail isn’t exactly lightweight. It has a low range of gears, small wheels and a punishing ride. The Slash probably feels like a rocket ship in comparison even if it’s a few grammes heavier or has a bit more travel than other options.

Basically, I need to ride one! If anyone near Sheffield is taking delivery of a L or XL I’d be glad for a bounce around on it.

darrenspink
    Free Member

, I’ll spend most of the time dragging it up and over the Peaks in exchange for short descents.

I would say that this isn’t the bike for you then, the weapon is built for world class 2 mile long enduro stages. Look more towards a transition scout, SC 5010 etc.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Look more towards a transition scout, SC 5010 etc

The thing is, most mid travel bikes are still excessively heavy unless you are buying the very top of the range model. They still suffer from rear suspension losses, and of course still suffer the same massive rolling penalty of big grippy enduro tyres.

Also the OP originally said he was looking for something to act as a baby DH bike for alps and uplift days.

chakaping
    Free Member

29lbs is pretty damn good for a long-travel 29er IMO.

Sizing look good for normal people (bit short for me sadly), BB maybe a touch high though?

I’d rather have the new Fuel EX 29er myself, and that would be the perfect bike for the Peaks and a great UK enduro bike IMO (but I do have a long-travel 650b as well).

But I don’t imagine the Slash would be a huge chore to ride if you favour winch and plummet kind of stuff anyway. Do you do big XC days? Gently undulating and tight-cornered woodland trails? If not, crack on!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Seen the öhlins tricked out version?

chakaping
    Free Member

OR

Use the discount to get a carbon Fuel EX to suit the majority of your riding, and pick up a cheap s/h long-travel enduro bike later if you feel the need?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Exactly, so why bother downsizing to mid-travel at 28.5lbs was my point.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The ‘real world’ weights of the 9.8 are coming in at ~31lbs without pedals.

Even as a seasoned racer, I wouldn’t be wanting something that big, and that includes doing the odd big events (like EWS’s), racing regional DH, trips to Whistler/Alps etc.

I’d rather have a bike suitable for 95% of my riding, than 5% (being generous).

chakaping
    Free Member

The ‘real world’ weights of the 9.8 are coming in at ~31lbs without pedals.

Well that’s a different story then.

32lb with pedals is what a mid-level aluminium enduro bike typically weighs in real life, IME.

So does that cast doubt on the quoted weight of the carbon Fuel EX too?

northerntom
    Free Member

I’ve got one on order at the moment and cannot wait. Looking at the geometry, the only strange bit is the seat tube, I wish it was steeper, but then again, I expect Trek know a lot better than I do.

In terms of whether it’s too big a bike, I think it’s a great all rounder, 150mm back, 160mm front, still smaller than the new spec enduro. With the 29 wheels, probably the equivalent to a 160/170mm 650b bike, of which there are plenty around.

I’m planning on racing the fod mini dh series, as well as various enduros next year, fingers crossed it’ll be the right bike.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So does that cast doubt on the quoted weight of the carbon Fuel EX too?

Weighed a 9.9 in the shop – the large w/o pedals was 25.2lbs out of the box.

It felt like an XC bike in weight to me – it could be built lighter too, I don;t need/want Eagle, so would run my XX1 kit which is lighter. That was with the decent 2.4″ Bontrager tyres on it too, so no skinny XC things.

I’ve got a loaner for the next month or so, which should be fun 🙂

I’ve got one on order at the moment and cannot wait. Looking at the geometry, the only strange bit is the seat tube, I wish it was steeper, but then again, I expect Trek know a lot better than I do.

In terms of whether it’s too big a bike, I think it’s a great all rounder, 150mm back, 160mm front, still smaller than the new spec enduro. With the 29 wheels, probably the equivalent to a 160/170mm 650b bike, of which there are plenty around.

I’m planning on racing the fod mini dh series, as well as various enduros next year, fingers crossed it’ll be the right bike.

Seat angle is one thing, morseo if you are tall & inbetween sizes with a reasonably short reach in the slack setting.

I would say it’s going to feel like substantially more than you usual 160mm 650b enduro bike, based on experience of previous big wheels & long travel.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I could see that Hob Nob – the Whyte T129 felt a much bigger bike than the 120mm travel would have you believe.

Can’t wait to get the new Fuel EX out on the trails… damn knackered back! 130 rear 140 front should be perfect for pretty much everything I will need.

iain65
    Free Member

I had a 2016 Slash and thought it was great, but it is a ‘big bike’. Swapped to a 2017 Fuel EX about 2 months ago and love the flexibility of it, not as efficient as a Top Fuel but it’s pretty close and comes down nearly as well as the Slash.
    If you only have one bike, get a Fuel EX 29 or even the plus ones look fun.

northerntom
    Free Member

Seat angle is one thing, morseo if you are tall & inbetween sizes with a reasonably short reach in the slack setting.

I would say it’s going to feel like substantially more than you usual 160mm 650b enduro bike, based on experience of previous big wheels & long travel.

Very true, just looking at one element of the geometry will never give the full story. Measuring it up, it’s similar to my last bike, albeit slightly longer, which I am after anyway. At 5″11 on the 19.5, it should fit fine, and stem length offers slight adjustment. In reality, I’m just really looking forward to it, having sold my last full sus in May.

My previous experience of 29ers suggests this will feel more aggressive, but in terms of size, it only has 15mm extra rear travel than a hightower, with around 1.5 slacker head angle.

Pridds

Sharkattack, if you’re in the lakes before making a decision, you can have a go on mine

sharkattack

Sharkattack, if you’re in the lakes before making a decision, you can have a go on mine

Finally, an owner speaks!

Tell us please, is your bike way too big and heavy as some people suggest?
    If it is a bit on the slack and baggy side of things, how much difference does the Mino link make in real life?
    How is it for winching up those rocky Lakeland climbs?

Honestly, I can’t see myself on a Fuel. I think if I decide against the Slash I’ll be trying a Stumpjumper 29.

Euro
    Free Member

32lbs for a bike you can ride anywhere isn’t heavy. Shows just how spoilt we are regarding bikes i suppose. If you can’t manage to ride up and down hills all day on a bike that only weighs 32lbs you may have chosen the wrong sport.

You may have guessed from my post that my bike is around 32lbs 😆

Does look like a nice bike that btw, but personally i’d not have a carbon frame anywhere near me (unless i was sponsored).

Pridds

I’m picking it up tomorrow but from my expierences so far it is big and it’s lighter than my nomad so happy days.

butterbean
    Free Member

Honestly, I can’t see myself on a Fuel. I think if I decide against the Slash I’ll be trying a Stumpjumper 29.

Strange, everything you have said suggests the Slash is probably totally the wrong bike for what you want. You might as well be looking at other stuff along the same lines too (Mega 29, Enduro 29, etc).

Yet you seem wary of the new Fuel, which actually sits somewhere between the bigger bike you are interested in, and the smaller one. It’s longer, lower and slacker than the Stumpjumper.

Don’t get me wrong though, the Stumpy is a really, really good bike – bikes in that sort of genre (and I include the Fuel in that too, along with the Jeffsy & some others) are pretty much the ideal solution for nearly all.

Having ridden the Slash, the new Enduro 29 and some other long travel 29″ options, I can safely say for me, as I guess as an above average rider, but by no means a hardcore racer, they are way too much bike for the UK. If I lived in the Alps, i’d have one in a heartbeat, but i’m at peace with my riding and can say these light weight mid travel 29″ trail bikes are spot on for Mr Average.

You need to be absolutely pinned on these bigger bikes to make stuff fun.

julians
    Free Member

Id disagree with that, i had a go on an enduro 29 and it was great fun. Each to their own though. Like the look of that slash, too much money for me though.

sharkattack

Sorry for discounting the Fuel. I told you I’d never looked at Trek’s before!

I thought it was their XC/marathon bike and it looks like that is the Top Fuel and the Fuel EX looks very nice indeed. It’s got some pretty excellent reviews as well. I’ll definitely consider it.

Having ridden the Slash, the new Enduro 29 and some other long travel 29″ options, I can safely say for me, as I guess as an above average rider, but by no means a hardcore racer, they are way too much bike for the UK…

I’ve been riding downhill for 15 years so I’m not shy about “pinning it”. All this pedalling around stuff is a recent development.

Yes, if I lived in the mountains it would be a no brainer but sadly I don’t.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think that red Slash is about the nicest looking bike I’ve seen in ages.

Too much money though, and the possibility of not running a longer dropper would be a deal breaker too.

chakaping
    Free Member

32lbs for a bike you can ride anywhere isn’t heavy

True, but they’re very expensive and there are cheaper 32lb bikes on offer.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have the Fuel EX8 sitting downstairs right now… not that I can ride it until my torn back muscles rebuild themselves – so it is brand new and unmuddied at the moment. From my brief tests and just looking at it… capable is the word that springs to mind! I was torn between the aluminium 8 and carbon 9.8 (which is so sexy it hurts) but went with good old aluminium in the end for a mix of cost savings and perceived abuse proofness (my bike tends to live on the back seat of the van!)

Just uprating a few bits on it today whilst I am healing… pair of 29″ wheels should be sorted later today, Hope Tech3 E4 brakes going on and rotors upping from 180/160 to 200/180 🙂 It is going to be fun!!!!

But just look at the 9.8…..

Tres sexy no?

fifeandy
    Free Member

light weight mid travel 29″ trail bikes are spot on for Mr Average

Sadly these are about as common as unicorns unless you’ve ~£5k to spend on top of the range. IMO manufacturers are still making miniature enduro bikes where what Mr Average really needs is a slacker XC bike.
    Until then, i’d find it pretty hard to recommend a 130-140mm bike as they carry all the disadvantages of a full enduro bike and none of the advantages of an XC bike.

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Too much money though, and the possibility of not running a longer dropper would be a deal breaker too.

I’d want to measure to be sure but the seat tube kink seems pretty similar to the Remedy- I think it’ll probably be OK, just because the bikes are designed to have more exposed seatpost than the “sky high seatmast and short seatpost” crowd. Even going up a size there’s still plenty of room in my large Remedy for a 170mm Reverb, I can drop it almost to the top cap (and I have about 3 inches of post exposed)

Pridds

Thanks for that Northwind!
    Ive actually got a 170 reverb on order and i checked it was long enough to clear the frame but didnt spot the kink might be an issue. I’ll try it when i pick it up but if not it’ll be a uptimizer 155

flange
    Free Member

I had until recently a Remedy 29er which was in fact my first trek. It was flippin quick, like seriously seriously fast compared to other stuff I’ve had (including an SB95c, an Ariel 15x, Orange 5). As a trail bike it was perfect so I can only see the Slash improving on that. Climbed well, descends well…mine was an XL which did feel huge at 6ft2, but once you’re on it it you don’t notice it. Getting on it however was a bit of a mission, the first bike I’ve had to put the dropper down on to be able to throw a leg over it.

Only sold it as I wasn’t using it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone riding a Trek Slash 29 yet?’ is closed to new replies.