Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Is anyone on here willing to own up to….
  • Daffy

…owning a BMW 330d? the 2007 onwards version?

If you are, what kind of fuel economy do you get from it?

This is to settle an argument.

coffeeking
    Free Member

A family member of mine does, he gets ~48ish mpg on normal journeys, over 50 on long cruises.

BigDummy
    Free Member

…**** in the disabled loos at work.

Oh. No, I don't have a BMW 330d. 😳

coffeeking
    Free Member

Curious admission BD

Moses

What?
    Tossing in the toilets as well as being abused on a regular basis by that woman.

Are you insatiable or just making up for lost time?

😯

samuri
    Free Member

My friend claims about 45mpg if he drives it very gently, which he rarely does.

oldgit
    Free Member

50+ just through France.

KT1973
    Free Member

I've got the X5 with the same engine and I'm getting half of that mpg 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

Interesting, my family member doesn't ever drive gently lol.

I've got the X5 with the same engine and I'm getting half of that mpg

Hauling around significantly more mass with different gearing I suppose!

Talkemada
    Free Member

…**** in the disabled loos at work.

Disgusting.

Can't you use the non-disabled toilets?

Daffy

T'is interesting, I was driving a new 330D today (courtesy car) and it was saying only 34.3mpg over it's first 4500 miles. I thought it was maybe just that it had been ragged….

molgrips
    Free Member

I've got the X5 with the same engine and I'm getting half of that mpg

Ever heard of this thing called aerodynamics?

And btw – driving gently isn't necessarily the same thing as driving economically, although they are related.

aracer
    Free Member

I've got the X5

I'm impressed – to use an analogy, he was only asking people to own up to looking at the lingerie pics in their mum's Kays catalog, and you just admitted enjoying snuff movies 😉

MrOvershoot

samuri – Member

I would say your friend is to be trusted unlike those who claim to get 55+mpg out of their 2ltr+ turbo diesels

spacemonkey

Very lucky if you get mid 40's.

Take away 10mpg if it's a steptronic/auto thingy.

timc
    Free Member

anyone getting 50+ is a blagger or drives like a corpse…

RepacK
    Free Member

I used to get 45mpg ish – no bs.

molgrips
    Free Member

unlike those who claim to get 55+mpg out of their 2ltr+ turbo diesels

I can get 53mpg from my 2l turbo diesel Passat between Cardiff and Aldershot, doing the speed limit at all times.

Tank averages only about 48-50 tho, although summer is coming up 🙂

Btw diesel fuel economy goes down by 10% ish in winter due to winter diesel having lower cetane number.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I would say your friend is to be trusted unlike those who claim to get 55+mpg out of their 2ltr+ turbo diesels

With all due respect, I regularly see 55 out of a 2 litre TD estate, and have seen over 60 repeatedly, based on tank-tank refils at the same pump to a visible level in the filler neck. Drops to mid 40s over winter or if I'm stonking at 70+ on motorway runs, or in city-only traffic. That's based on 2 years use, of a car with 100K on it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I had a 320d Touring.

I never got better than 40mpg. Not heavy footed or owt, just a crap commute through Shipley & Bradford to get to the M62/M1 & then back again in the evening

now I have a different make & model & still get 39mpg. Until today when I managed 44mpg – where did that come from? oh yes, the schools are off, so the traffic atually moves

Just goes to prove that the MPG you get probably depends as much on your route as on your vehicle…

although I'm sure molgrips will disagree

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I've been saying that all along. Route is (obviously) a huge factor.

I only disagree with things that are wrong 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

you still never explained why you think I'm a poser though

let me remind you:
    me: Maybe the next 3-series… if they can sort out the rear wheel arches
    you: Blimey, you are a bloody poser aren't you?

context: I've had a 3 series. The boot was too narrow. full stop

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i get 32 out of my transit!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I thought you were ruling out a car based on subtle points about the design lines.. which would be a bit daft imo..

I didn't realise you meant the INSIDE of the boot 🙂

Btw I think the inside of some car boots is narrow because they use multi-link rear suspension which handles better but takes up more space.. I founf the Focus looked a bit narrow when I tried it…

john_drummer
    Free Member

You shouldn't make assumptions, you know.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

With regards to the MPG, there's a lot of point missing going on here. The computer figure over 4,500 miles on the trip will have a very different MPG figure to someone driving from point a to b on a motorwauy at 70. Yes, it's possible to get most diesel cars to show short trip averages of 50+, but if you reset the trip and drive a few thousand miles it's a different kettle de poisson. Managed to get my passenger side front window smashed over the bank holiday weekend, and driving into work to get it sorted on the Tuesday couldn't go over 45 MPH cos of the noise from the plastic I'd taped over it. 24 mile commute at 68mpg instead of usual 48ish….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can't you use the non-disabled toilets?

The tissue is closer at hand and the grab rails come in useful at the point of release in the disabled loos.

Probably.

edd

My Dad has a November 2005 330d (the 2007 was only a facelift).

He has averaged 41.4 mpg over the time that he has had it – that's from a spreadsheet with mileage vs. diesel put in (the trip computers are not very accurate). He does drive quite fast but I'd be amazed if you could sustain over 50mpg in the real world even if you drive very carefully.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, it's possible to get most diesel cars to show short trip averages of 50+

We're not that stupid mate!

Like I said, 53mpg on the trip to work – 125 miles, and 48-49 tank average. I'm fairly sure that if I can do a whole tank without speeding or encountering cold/bad weather it'll be over 50.

Edd – it'd be possible depending on where you drive and how.

edd

By the way Dad's is a manual touring version.

molgrips – We're talking here about fuel economy a BMW 330d not your 2l TD Passat. I still seriously doubt that you could sustain over 50mpg in a 330d – 50mpg would be a 20% improvement on what my father's getting.

hainey
    Free Member

Taken a 330D touring down to the alps and back, sitting at 85mphish on the autoroutes with aircon on and full car happily average 44mpg.

Same in a Passat 2.0TD too.

Free Member

Errr … *reported* MPG. Actual MPG could well be something entirely different! Fuel computers, while now being much more accurate than their earlier incarnations, rarely stack up correctly and as we know a mass produced car can be subject to greater variance in tolerance.

Fill it to the brim, drive it until empty and see how many miles you do – i'm sure it'd be fairly accurate but the figure will more than likely be off.

Pedantic? Yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but someone started going on about 2.0l diesels, and then telling me I didn't understand trip computer averages 🙂

I'm curious about this though – why do we think that petrol pumps are more accurate than the car's trip computer? People seem to take the default position that the pump is accurate, and if the computer disagrees it must be wrong…

hainey
    Free Member

I have validated all the cars i have owned (nerd) against the actual and computer mpgs and they have always been accurate.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is anyone stupid enough to go from the trip computer?

Mine doesn't even HAVE a trip computer to go by, so my figures stand happily!

I'm curious about this though – why do we think that petrol pumps are more accurate than the car's trip computer? People seem to take the default position that the pump is accurate, and if the computer disagrees it must be wrong…

The pumps are very accurate, they're positive displacement measurement devices and are supposed to be regularly spot-checked. Ideally the onboard computer would be more accurate, but that depends on what assumptions the software makes, some will be, some will need to be checked across a range of operating ranges.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Got a 320D here. OBC claims mid to high 30s, even driven like a granny. Based on brim to brim calcs though, its more like 45mpg. Bit disappointed as my old Passat would easily see 50mpg, and 55+ wasn't difficult if you tried. (that said, the 320 is SOOO much nicer to drive)

330D, I'd be surprised to see much over 40 mpg in.

coffeeking
    Free Member

IIRC even BMW suggest the 330 gets better averages than the 320.

molgrips
    Free Member

So you are saying some cars could be better than others for OBC accuracy?

Seems like the computer OUGHT to know the flow rate of its injectors and the pulse durations pretty well.. right?

hora
    Free Member

I once worked with a guy who by his own admission 'cracked one out in the toilets everytime he had sealed a deal'.

This was London after all and no, I never shook his hand.

Daffy, if you are considering one you need to ensure the indicators do work. Thats a common design problem.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Quotey (Molgrips) – I can get 53mpg from my 2l turbo diesel Passat between Cardiff and Aldershot, doing the speed limit at all times

Quotey (Molgrips) – We're not that stupid mate!

Oh yes you are. Bit pointless saying 'blah blah blah 53 MPG' if it's on one journey. I can get my diesel to show 999 MPG if I go down hill with my foot off the gas. I was making the point that over thousands of miles including idling in traffic etc you're unlikely to get a figure of 53MPG from your car.

****' Passat drivers…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone on here willing to own up to….’ is closed to new replies.