Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Is anyone else's PC getting ragged by this site?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

My CPU fan is whizzing its little nuts off here. I know it's old ground but for heavens sake:

STW in Chrome, with ads on:
    80% CPU to run the flash ads, 6% to run the browser

STW in Chrome, with ads off:
    0% CPU to run the flash ads, 3% to run the browser

STW in Firefox, with ads on:
    66% to run the browser (incl Flash)

STW in Firefox, with ads off (and I can scroll again without the Cotic banner):
    0% to run the browser

This is not funny and nor am I trying to sh1tstir about adblocking, but its a real drag on other apps and it's making my computer work far harder than it needs to, makes the browsing experience crap and not to mention that Cotic banner borks my scrolling when I browse in Firefox with the ad in place. With all that, what do you think the solution Im forced to use is? Do STW towers not care about this at all?

VanHalen

but STW *prides* itself on a ropey website yes?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

How do you turn off the ads?

Can it be done with NoScript?

I know the ads are a source of revenue, but it's getting beyond a joke when they are hogging so much of the system resources. Fine line – satisfy your advertisers and alienate your customers?

Grrrr…

geoffj

Without wanting to sound too much like a Charlie Brooker hate character, it seems to run fine on a mac under both Firefox and Safari. Maybe STW towers is all OS X?
    That cotic backdrop is a bit richard whiteley tie though.

Stoner
    Free Member

How do you turn off the ads?

cant tell you. It's in the rools.

Stoner
    Free Member

geoff – what mac do you have and is is set up with shedloads of ram for photoshopping etc?

I have 2Gb in a 5 year old machine. It shouldnt matter. A website shouldnt be ripping its tits off like STW does.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Aye but the rules don't prohibit you from sending me an email…

😀

It's pissing me off so much that I'll never buy a bike from a manufacturer whose name begins with C.

geoffj

Currently on a MacBook 2.4 ghz with 4 gb of ram, but I usually use a Samsung NC10 with 2 gig and its fine on that – I'm not on Snow Leopard yet though.

cp

nope, no issues here. Vista and running firefox. CPU runs at max 30% to drive firefox, but bounces between 10-30%. Core2duo/2.2GHz, 2Gb RAM… nothing super special.

Davy
    Free Member

Are you running AVG by any chance?

Stoner
    Free Member

yes

Ive just disabled it, and still 80% of CPU time is being used to run these damn flash ads.

allthepies
    Free Member

killing the environment also with the extra power required.

Tsk tsk!

nonk
    Free Member

bloody hell how long has that cotic banner been there?
    lol 😆

nickc

My CPU is barely registering this site…

Stoner
    Free Member

what OS are you running nick?

allthepies
    Free Member

I get the same results as Stoner.

XP Pro SP3
    Firefox 3.5.3

Stoner
    Free Member

argh. so narked off with this now. Im off to bed.

I really want to run chrome as my default browser but because it doesn't have an effective adblocker yet and I have STW open all the time I cant use it – I have to stick with FF.

Its a pretty poor show when your choice of browser is mainly driven by the behaviour of one website.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I remain convinced the behaviour of the ads on this site is counterproductive.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im on Vista, a pentium 4 2.8ghz CPU, nothing special in the graphics card stakes and 2Gb of RAM.

Back in the day you could run a space station on one of these. Now I cant even run a forum of middle-aged witterings. That's progress I suppose….

tomzo
    Free Member

Well on my macbook pro the flashplayer and safari combined total of the cpu is between 30-60% for this site. Quite ridiculous.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Not now

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not on this PC, but on both my others – one which is a quad core and one which is a PIII. The PIII is ground to a halt with it. I assume it depends on software versions?

johnners
    Free Member

No problems here on a 2Ghz T6400, so nothing flashy. CPU under 10%.

Vista SP2, Firefox, Avast.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm OK Jack! I have 4 cores with water cooling and I've never been able to load it hard enough to make the fans speed up, even at 100% usage :o)

nickc

Sorry, somewhere else, Firefox, XP, Boggo spec Dell, nothing spectacular

aP
    Free Member

There's a number of sites that at times are almost impossible to navigate without some assistance – this one and the Telegraph are the most significant IMO.

retro83
    Free Member

I personally have taken to mainly watching the main forum RSS feed instead of browsing the normal topic list page since the Cotic background appeared. 🙁

Is there any chance that SingleTrack could perhaps have a higher priced mag subscription which allowed the purchaser to tick a box in their userprefs and remove the ads?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

since the Cotic background appeared.

I mentally tuned that out in about 10 seconds. I quite like the shaded grey 🙂

GrahamS

Absolutely kills my old laptop. All the fans come on max and the whole thing runs like a dog.
    completely unusable with the ads on.

Fine on my main desktop PC and work PC (even when I allow the ads and don't re-jig the layout)
    Though it does seem to randomly crash firefox on both PCs. 🙄

Also fine on my iPhone.

retro83
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member
    I mentally tuned that out in about 10 seconds. I quite like the shaded grey

No it's not that I don't like it, it looks fine – I actually quite like it.

It's that type of static CSS background which stays still when the rest of the content scrolls – it makes scrolling the page really jerky

GrahamS

Yeah that was discussed earlier in the Cotic thread. No real idea why something staying still would make the scrolling jerky. Fine on my PCs but a few people have reported it and TomDB was investigating.

DaveGr
    Free Member

My PC runs fine. But then I have two Cotic's so it probably knows to be kind to me 😆

kelvin

Background image shouldn't add any drain to the CPU once loaded.

Flash? Well Adobe have made lots of really bad performing plug-ins for all sorts of browsers. If you've got one of their bad ones then a couple of flash ads can work your machine real hard. Recent versions of Firefox paired with older versions of flash can be a real pain.

GrahamS

Nah it's bad on my laptop even with latest firefox and latest version of flash.

No idea why the static cotic background is causing some folk issues, but it apparently is. I did suggest that having a fixed background overlayed over a scrolling one might be the issue, but not so according to Tom so all very odd.

GrahamS

Actually if you google "fixed background jerky scrolling" you get 3,500 hits so it may be a common problem.

Daffy

Vista 64, 3.0GHz Core 2 Quad, 12GB DDR3, Quad 150GB Raptors, IE8.

8% CPU with all the adds turned on.

rs
    Free Member

on an old ibook G4 with 1GB Ram, firefox uses 7% with just googlemail open, if i open another tab with stw, shoots up to about 80% 😯

rs
    Free Member

shut stw down and went to the NSMB forum, CPU usage dropped to around 20%

rs
    Free Member

ps i'll never even consider a charge purely because of those adverts!

Stoner
    Free Member

Vista 64, 3.0GHz Core 2 Quad, 12GB DDR3, Quad 150GB Raptors, IE8.

8% CPU with all the adds turned on.

I should hope so too!
    You could start WWIII with that setup!

Still crap this morning then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone else's PC getting ragged by this site?’ is closed to new replies.