• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is anyone corgi registered ?
  • parkedtiger
    Free Member

Looking for some advice. Our neighbours are having a new combi boiler fitted and the builders are planning to route the extract next to one of our windows – within approx 50cm. It’ll be at a right angle to the window, blowing across it (if that makes sense).

Common sense would seem to say this isn’t safe or legal – can anyone advise ?

Thanks.

jamj1974

Best getting a Gas Safe engineer in to look at in situ. Gas Safe has replaced Corgi registration.

wordnumb
    Free Member

footflaps

For less than 7kW can be as close as 300mm.

See: http://www.euroheat.co.uk/ImgShare/980180398IN1105_Balanced_Flue_Tech_Guide_Low%20Res.pdf

Page 5, measurement C.

footflaps

NB It will make using the window impossible as it will stink like hell, we can smell our neighbour’s flue from about 3m away if the wind is in the right direction.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just because the regulations say they can, it doesn’t mean they should if it’s going to cause a nuisance to neighbouring properties.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I am

In general there should be at least 300mm from side of flue to boundary between properties, regardless of openings into the building and a minimum of 600 mm from the end of the flue in the same direction that the flue is facing (ie end on)

There is then a whole host of other clearances required from windows, eaves, soffits, openings, other terminals etc etc.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Footflaps the OP has asked for advice on a combi boiler, Which will be a fan flued appliance. The throw of the products of combustion from the flue will be approximately 2m, If it is a problem you can ring building control or I think the environment agency, and get the boiler shut down. Although they could also get a plume management kit as well.

Edit: The problem is there’s no actual dimension for you problem as such only discretion of the gas fitter so too speak as to whether or not POC’s could enter you property

ebygomm
    Free Member

If the installation is done and registered by a GasSafe person under the competent persons scheme there is very little building control can do even if the flue is venting v.close to someone elses property.

footflaps

Footflaps the OP has asked for advice on a combi boiler, Which will be a fan flued appliance.

Doesn’t appear to make any difference: 300mm

http://support.ambirad.co.uk/article.aspx?id=10724

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Does the wind blow towards your window? If so then you may have a problem wiyh the acid in fumes reacting with upvc windows. I’d suggest your neighbour put in a verticle rise of at least 1m and a plume kit if this is the case.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice – I’ve emailed our local building control dept. and I’ll hopefully speak to them tomorrow.

Bear
    Free Member

You cannot discharge a boiler flue across a neighbouring property boundary where it will cause a nuisance, regardless of relevant clearances to openings in buildings.

A fanned draught flued boiler has a clearance of 300mm horizontally to an opening, or 300mm directly below an opening. Also the same measurement for internal / extrnal corners, and 600mm from a surface facing the terminal.
    Unless the manufacturers instructions are different then you observe the clearances stated in them.

Aprroved Document J (section 3.23 re nuisance from flues)

Footflaps – those instructions do not relate to a gas boiler, different fuels have different regulations and go about things in a different way.

Mail me if you need more info timATj-twren.eclipse.co.uk

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone corgi registered ?’ is closed to new replies.