Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is all heat shink made equal?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

As above really. Is there a brand name worth looking for? Is the cheap stuff more fragile?

TIA

Yes it is in the correct forum, I can to use it on gear cables.

smudge
    Free Member

Have a look here.

ShrinkSleeve

why do you want it on gear cables? if its not going to slip you had best get the adhesive lined as thats the best one to use.

How much do you need? I may be able to help out.

Smudge

Onzadog
    Free Member

I read an interesting article a while back about a chap from Shimano who modified his gear cables. He took the seal out of the end caps and used heat shrink to seal them to the housing. Then did the same to seal some small diameter tubing to the tongue of the end caps. Made a fully sealed system without any drag in the end caps and without having to zip tie a full housing run to a frame with cable stops. Hope that makes sense.

Marko

Makes sense to me – I tried it years ago, but more faff than it’s worth. I slipped it over one of those extended plastic ferules and shrunk it. I only ever did it on the loop to the rear mech though.

After a time it started to crack with the constant flexing of the cable.I suppose I could have a fitted a longer piece and only shrunk each end, leaving an unshrunk section.

It’s good on the top tube if you have an exposed cable, but electricians black sleeve is better there.

Hth
    Marko

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers Marko, that was the plan, a bit of tubing over the exposed cable, just sealing the tube to the tongue behind the frame stop and sealing the cap to the housing in front of the frame stop if that makes sense.

It was an article in Mountain Bike Action a year or so back. Got to be worth a try and I like tinkering.

As for the cracking, that’s why I’m wondering if all heat shrink is the same of is some is more flexible and stronger than others.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Smudge, thanks for the offer. I don’t really need much at all. About 10 little bits to seal the end caps to the housing and 6 smaller diameter bits to seal the tongue to the 1/8″ tubing.

andyl
    Free Member

just buy the sealing kit at Wiggle for £3.

Can’t remember the make but it is just some non-sealed ferrules with sticky outy thin bits and some tubing which fits snuggly over it but not tight on the cables.

It’s only used to seal the straight runs anyway so friction is not really an issue and you lose the friction of 4 sealed ferrules.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

try Maplins they do a cheap(approx £4.99)selection pack of assorted sizes i use it quite a lot on wiring on forklift and that moves about and vibrates quite alot and i don’t have many failures.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Andyl, I didn’t know such a thing existed. I’ve ordered one of those. For three quid, I can’t really go wrong. Bit of heatshrink for maplin and I’m laughing.

smudge
    Free Member

Onzadog,

If you have no joy at maplins, send me your email address and i’ll pop a few diferent sizes and lengths in the post next week to you.

Smudge

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers smudge.

andyl
    Free Member

The kit works well.

I just fitted some XTR rubber dirt shields to the exits to the mechs (cut down the rear one to make it fit).

I wish someone would just make some small diameter rubber concertina things like you get on V brakes. Run it all the way to the mech bolt and then no way any dirt it getting in and no real friction – just minuscule bit of resistance from the rubber.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was planning on using the bits from the out going gore system for the last little bit to the mechs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is all heat shink made equal?’ is closed to new replies.