Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Is actually possible to get a tyre on ZTR Crest rim?
  • JonHood
    Free Member

Just spent an hour swearing like a b*stard trying to get 3 different tyres on a new ZTR Crest rimmed wheel.
    Tried, Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Continental Mountain King and Panaracer XC – so all diff makes and i couldn’t get any of them even close – and snapped 2 tyre levers in the process.

Is there a trick i’m unaware of or are they just joke rims that are pointless?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Your’e just crap. 😉
    Got Advantage Exceptions on my Crests & they go on without levers. Pain in the arse to seal without a good quick blast though.

tony24
    Free Member

Three is a knack to it. I even got a ust tyre on the other day. You need good tyre levers and a strong grip 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Not trying to willy wave but there’s nothing difficult about it- just that some rims will let you fit a tyre even if you do it badly, Crests need you to do it right.

big_scot_nanny

Jon, try making sure the tire bead is right down in the trough/gutter/deep bit in the middle of the rim.

HTH?

Kev

khani
    Free Member

And don’t try to lever too much at once, lever it on about 2-3 inch’s at a time, and hold the other end to stop it chasing out

rickon
    Free Member

new schwalbe and contis are known to be a PITA on Crest rims. If they won’t go, I wouldn’t force them. Imagine you’re out on a trail and you need to fix a puncture.

Pre 2011 schwalbe tyres are easy, Maxxis are too.

tazzymtb

new schwalbe and contis are known to be a PITA on Crest rims

really? I find them a dead easy. 8)

Alejandro
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs and Conti Twisters have always gone onto mine no problem, and easy to inflate too without too much huffing and puffing. Maybe try some sealant lubricating the bead to allow them to slide on easier?

JonHood
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips – i will try again and try and keep the bead in the groove, i’m a big guy but i do have weak thumbs

I dont think resorting to using my teeth helped me 😉

faz083
    Free Member

I too thought this was impossible on ZTR flows, nobby nic snake skin that is, but I have two metal levers and I found if I put the tyre on as tight as I could with my hands/thumbs, then stuck a lever in the middle it would just jump onto the rim. It gets easier every time.
    I dread doing it at the side of a trail, though, with my plastic levers. God forbid the day I puncture!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Some watered down washing up liquid or soap is the best way.

Seat most of the tyre then lube up the bead and sidewall of the rim (so the tyre can slide over it).

Lever one end in with a tyre lever then hold it where it is (with the tyre lever), get another one and lever from the other side of the section that remains to be seated.

Tends to get a bit looser over time

spooky_b329

You’re not using a rubber rim strip are you? They will make it much harder to get tyres on as they prevent the bead dropping into the well. Use the yellow tape, get the tyre on as far as possible, and then pull on the unseated bead hard whilst going around the tyre bead to ensure its in the wheel well. Repeat until installed.

We have 355’s and Arch’s, we stick to Bonty tyres (Mud X, Jones ACX and FR3’s) and they are all tight but do go on with a bit of persuasion.

boxelder

On with thumbs and up with track pump here – Rrons and Spesh tyres. 29er though. Maxxis on a 26 was more of a fight.

takisawa2

Put something down to protect the rim, stand on the unseated bit of tyre & use the wheel as a big lever. Works for me. I’ve even hung particularly tight tyres up with a heavy weight to pre-stretch the bead before now.

Mugboo

I find my Flow rims unpredictable. Sometimes a tyre flies on, sometimes I really struggle. So no doubt it’s me !

Washing up liquid helps. I reckon it’s all part of a cunning plan to sell you the rest of their tubeless kit…

I’ve got all the stuff to do it, just haven’t found the time.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Tend to stick to mostly Spesh tyres as they seem to go on easy and normal only need a track pump to inflate them

coatesy
    Free Member

Start opposite the valve, push tyre into the well and work towards tthe valve in both directions at the same time, when it gets tight go back and do it again, trying to keep it deep in the well. If you start at the valve, it’ll restrict how deep into the well you can go, and therefore how much slack you can create.

honourablegeorge

rickon – Member
    new schwalbe and contis are known to be a PITA on Crest rims. If they won’t go, I wouldn’t force them.

Have put 2011 Nics & Ralphs on my crests using nothing but thumbs, no hassle at all.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

What rim tape are you using?

stanley

Crests and Flows here- Schwalbe, Maxis, Kenda all on easily without levers or liquids.
    And I have old, knackered, worn out hands!

Make sure that the bead you are working on is sitting right into the “gutter” of the rim. Then roll the rest on with the base of your hands.

I used to find pumping them up was the nightmare- ie. getting the tyre to pop into the BST thing. Easy now with the Aldi compressor though 🙂

marcusmtb
    Free Member

Other than applying soapy water with a soft brush, I also read a tip somewhere that it helps if you relieve the pressure when trying to get the last part on, by laying the wheel flat on the floor, and gently treading on the tyre (but not the rims- obviously)on the opposite side with both feet,underneath you, as you work the last bit with your hand.

Doing this works like a charm for me, even previously awkward tyres slip on with minimal fuss for me now. I only need to use tyre levers to get tyres off now, never to put them on.

honourablegeorge

stanley – Member

And I have old, knackered, worn out hands

I picked up some really nice carbon fibre hands on EBay, you should try them out. Much lighter than my old hands, and less flex

honourablegeorge

stanley – Member

And I have old, knackered, worn out hands

I picked up some really nice carbon fibre hands on EBay, you should try them out. Much lighter than my old hands, and less flex

DrP

I’ve had similar troubles with DT Swiss 5.1 and [insert ANY tyre here].

The answer, I kid you not, was to bin the plastic Park levers, and use these ‘levers’ from Ikea!!!

Honestly the best tyre levers I’ve ever used!!

DrP

stanley

“I picked up some really nice carbon fibre hands on EBay, you should try them out. Much lighter than my old hands, and less flex”

But they’ll snap horribly at a crucial moment. Probably sending a microscopic splinter into your blood stream where it will be carried to its final resting place in a vital organ 😉

JonHood
    Free Member

FYi – i think i have pulled a muscle in my back last night trying to get these on! FFS im getting old!

I’ll try the tips you all posted here tonight, i’ve also got some riding mates coming round, who are also mocking me, and are obviously more manly than i …. whom i will mock loudly when they fail!!!

If this fails there may be a Hope ProII Hub on ZTR crest Rim for sale tomorrow – one careful owner, only a few dents and “edges” in the rim, blood stains will wash off

rickon
    Free Member

This is interesting, recently there have been a few threads with people having issues with Crest rims. I wonder if Stans have increased the ERD, or the ERTRO threshold on a batch of rims, or whether there is a QA issue with a certain batch.

I’ve never had issues mounting tyres on crests, and that’s six different sets, with Maxxis, Schwalbe, Bontrager and Continental.

I know there can be user error involved, but really you shouldn’t have to use metal tyre levers to get a standard tyre on a rim – I’d be concerned about trashing them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Simple with floppy tyres, although I’ve no idea what steel beaded ones would be like cos I’ve never tried.

tk46hal
    Free Member

This has got to be one of the funniest topics on here, it always makes me smile even though it repeats itself over and over again! 😆 😆

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve been watching these posts regarding the Crest rims with interest & a little concern as I’ve just bought a Hope pro II/Stans Crest wheelset.
    I’ve never ran tubeless before so I’ve just ordered a pair of UST Rocket Rons to go on.However in the meantime I tried fitting a used non tubeless pair of Michelin XCR Dry 2.0 tyres,I just wanted to see if they’d go on the rims.They went on without even needing levers,I’m now hoping the R/R’s will go on without me breaking into a sweat..

martinxyz
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t go near stans rims with metal levers.

Northwind

I’ve never needed to go near any rims with metal levers. Well motorbike wheels aside.

tazzymtb

I’ve never needed to go near any rims with metal levers.

+1

I’ve never had to use levers, my paws of power can sort any tyre/rim combo I’ve tried out.

boxelder

I find my Flow rims unpredictable. Sometimes a tyre flies on, sometimes I really struggle. So no doubt it’s me !

It’s stan’s fault though. I’m sure the tyres are standardised……

faz083
    Free Member

you joke about blood. First time I tried to get it on, I got so annoyed and jammed my foot on the edge of the bead, then pulled hard up on the tyre and rim, in an effort to stretch the tyre somewhat.
    It slipped from beneath my foot flying up at a rate of knots, and the 160mm rotor sliced through my skin at a very slight angle. I’ve now got a scar about 5cm long, 1cm wide, from where I thought “na, it’s only a graze”

Lol! scars are manly 🙂

nicko74

Is actually possible to get a tyre on ZTR Crest rim?

Actually no – we all ride around on the rims… 😉

If you can’t get Fire XC Pros on, I think you may be doing something wrong, as they generally have a pretty loose bead.

As pointed out above, do you have the bead sat in the channel in the middle of the rim?

tk46hal
    Free Member

FAZ083!

FANTASTIC! 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Rocket Rons from On One went on lovely tubeless tho took a day or 2 to seal, see my forum history from last week.

Bontrager Mud X went on fine tubeless too.

Personally I wouldn’t bother tubed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Is actually possible to get a tyre on ZTR Crest rim?’ is closed to new replies.