Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is a Ti frame worth the extra…….
  • giantjason
    Free Member

i am looking at getting a new frame and am considering a Titus El Guapo full sus frame or something similar.

My only concern……is paying the extra for a Ti frame worth it?

My theory is to get a good frame and keep it/make it last for 10 years. is this sensible or will MTB’ing have moved on massively in that time and will i want to upgrade after 5 years?

i know most manufacturers offer lifetime warranties on the frames, which will cover any building/material defects so no worries on that issue.

jam-bo

i don’t think so but then i’ve not kept a bike for more than a year.

Garry_Lager

Dunno if it’s worth it or not – if you really want one then it probably is. What you should do, though, is put to bed the ‘will MTB’ing have moved on masssively’ idea. Mtbing develops at a snails pace – there’s a steady stream of bollocks introduced to the market to keep us all entertained, but true innovation happens but rarely – especially if you’re talking about HTs.

A high end HT frame from 1999 would be spot on today – would be just as awesome to ride as ten years back. You can keep up with all the changes in components in any case as things wear out.

ETA: Sry, missed the fact that you’re looking at FS. A FS from 1999 would likely be garbage, true. One from today will likely hold up much better as designs have settled down, but I don’t fancy Ti for FS bikes full stop. Not a great choice for a once in a decade purchase IMHO.

aP
    Free Member

Look around at how many people are still riding 10 year old suspension frames. Apart from Marins, there’s not many.
    I think that may be your answer, although obviously if you want to get a really pimpy frame just go ahead and get one.

stoney
    Free Member

Yes it is!

daveob
    Free Member

I would love a Ht Ti, but not FS. Don’t know why apart from cost, just don’t.

markenduro
    Free Member

I have a ti hardtail and love it, not too convinced if there are any advantages of ti on full suss though.

aracer
    Free Member

is paying the extra for a Ti frame worth it?

No.

will i want to upgrade after 5 years

Yes – I’d suggest that is almost inevitable for anybody prepared to spend more to get ti.

Ti doesn’t really have any advantages for a full-sus (I’d argue it doesn’t have any advantages for a hardtail either, but can’t be bothered right now).

johnners
    Free Member

Don’t count on Ti being a bike for life. Or even for 2 years in my case. Accidental damage isn’t covered by warranty, and my frame was written off by the kind of fatigue cracking I didn’t know Ti was prone to.

A high end HT frame from 1999 would be spot on today – would be just as awesome to ride as ten years back

It would be just as awesome, but 1999’s “awesome” wouldn’t bear comparison with today’s. The bar’s been raised a long way in 10 years – it’s not all marketing puffery. The range of hardtails has changed a lot, there was no equivalent to a Soul, PA or Inbred 10 years ago. What hardtails can do, and what people expect them to be able to do has changed massively.

heihei

I’ve got a Ti full suss – an exogrid Titus Motolite. It’s a stunning bike – almost a work of art. It rides very well too, but can’t say it’s any better than ali. I bought it as it was a bit of a bargain on Ebay! Very happy with it, and despite becoming more of a serial bike swapper recently, it’s a keeper. Not sure I’d pay full retail for one though!

giantjason
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies…….it would seem that Ti is not all it appears to be and alu is the way to go.

Now that i am leaning towards Alu……does anyone have any thoughts/comments on a Titus El Guapo or the new Turner 5 Spot for all mountain riding.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is a Ti frame worth the extra…….’ is closed to new replies.