Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is a ti 456 £630 better than a steel one ?
  • pinkyponk
    Free Member

Someone has no doubt asked this before but here is the dilema. A couple or three years back i had a 456. it was a great bike but i sold it to fund a new full suss. At the time i thought this bike is superb, imagine how good the ti one must be !
    Now i really want another one. Do i, buy a second hand steel one and cobble one together over a few months and leave the ST4 alone, OR,
    weigh it all in and go for a ti ?
    And while we are at it, why is there negativity over the new version compared to the lynskey made ones.
    thanks in advance.
    and apologies if this is covering old ground !

tk46hal
    Free Member

Save up and get the original if you can find a good one! It will be worth it! Or buy a Linskey!
    Reasons! Lighter, faster, Stronger, Flexible, fab build quality by the Titanium master and scored 10/10 by the mountain bike pro’s. I could go on, but saying all that, the steel one is a great frame also and more than affordable!

terrahawk
    Free Member

you’re in luck – I’m selling a nice Lynskey one right now…
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-lynskey-built-on-one-ti-456-18

chakaping
    Free Member

Not interested in the carbon one?

I’ve got one and it’s fantastic.

pinkyponk
    Free Member

Terrahawk – i did think i was in luck but i want a 16″

chakaping – the carbon is mega value for money but im not sure i like the look of it, the ti pictured above is fantastic, there is an old saying – if it looks right, then it probably is. and that looks right !

markenduro
    Free Member

I’ve had both and have to say a resounding probably…
    They do ride very well and I find I am sitting down more than I did on the steel, plus they don’t go rusty after 5 minutes like the steel ones do when the paint falls off.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of steel 456’s and currently own a lynskey Ti one.

Its same, but different. Lighter obviously. This makes it a bit more perky – doesn’t feel as dead as the steel one. Stiffness wise it feels the same as the steel when you’re just riding along. However, something happens at speed in the chop that the steel one doesn’t do.

I struggle to describe it, but it kind of goes all ‘silky’, its still a hardtail, you can’t blow through rough stuff like one does on a FS, but theres a degree of compliance that seems to aid and abet all sorts of ‘up for it’ maneuovres.

Then, when the pace drops, it goes all mild mannered again, like its putting on a veneer of respectability.

I can’t say its the best bike I’ve ever ridden, because I don’t really know what that is, but its something more than the steel one is/was.

I’ve no plans getting rid of it in the short/medium term, unless someone offers me a swap for a Brodie Holeshot Ti. :mrgreen:

billyboy
    Free Member

I’d keep a steel 456 before I’d keep a Ti456 (whatever they might say they were different/ and not better different)and I’d go a size down on whatever I normaly rode and I’d go for a 53cm axle to crown fork rather than the older 51cm axle to crown jobbies because the bb is too high for them and the bike will feel unbalanced. Then you will need a talas or similar because it won’t climb very well otherwise. And if you do get a small size you will probably get chain suck.
    I still enjoyed them….it’s just that there is a price that you will eventually get pissed off with……..

chakaping
    Free Member

Fair enough pinkyponk, the c456 ain’t pretty.

I’d love to get together with a ti456 owner for a bit of compare-and-contrast back-to-back testing sometime.

duntstick
    Free Member

I’d love to get together with a ti456 owner for a bit of compare-and-contrast back-to-back testing sometime.

😆

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got a lynskey ti456 and a new carbon 456. 🙂

On balance I’d say the ti is better. It’s odd to describe the carbon is great at low speeds but feels very stiff at speed whereas the ti is the opposite. they are both good, just different. The carbon ‘feels’ bigger (I think it is slightly longer with the same forks as on the ti)

I know , I’ll never make it as a magazine writer!

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

I’m the biggest steel bike slut going and have (other than double-bouncers) only ridden steel bikes.

For some inexplicable reason I am now attracted to a carbon 456. I reckon they look amazing and, shoot me down in flames, will last longer than Ti 456s, cos everyone knows titanium bikes ALL snap. 😉

Can’t beat them for value for money. Get one.

andrewmoke
    Free Member

How about the van Nicholas ti? Anyone tried both?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Lynskey Ridgeline LT ?

andrewmoke
    Free Member

I meant the new On Ones, made by Van Nicholas, as opposed to Lynskey.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The new ones look way better than the old ones. I dont think there worth £630 more though. Having a steel one and an ST4 sounds like a far better idea, unless you think the ST4 is shit and want to get rid of it

pinkyponk
    Free Member

The ST4 is a cracking bike, i love it. But i struggle to get the time to ride what ive got never mind adding another.

I also think the new ti 456 looks better than the previous model, and it has chainguide tabs which is a big plus for me as i am a fan of a 1 x 10 set up, and run a full chainguide.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is a ti 456 £630 better than a steel one ?’ is closed to new replies.