Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is a Nukeproof Mega Tr for me?
  • mancian
    Free Member

Hello.

I currently own a 2012 Nukeproof Mega with Fox 36 160mm Float up front.

I live on the outskirts of the Peak District so most of my riding is there with the occasional trip to Degla, CYB, Gisburn, etc.

This year I have also taken part in the PMBA Enduro Series which took place at Gisburn x 2, Grizedale, Kirroughtree and Lee Quarry.

Issue is my riding time has taken a hit recently due to child care and working daft shifts. Most of my rides now are imited to quick local morning blasts on the outskirts of the Peaks (around 30-40km). Still some rough stuff included. I will be taking part in the PMBA again in 2015 though.

I do find the 2012 a big bike to lump around although it has done wonders for my fitness. With just riding local stuff mainly now I feel its to big a bike and fancy something a bit faster but still a burly bike with 150/160 upfront that can tackle the occasional peaks ride and the enduros. Obviously Gisbrun, Grizedale arnt that technical.

Will the Tr be ok for me? I am thinking yes but would like opinions off people with Tr’s and how it tackles big stuff and how it climbs. I would prob put 150/160 Pikes up front.

Thanks

Ian

tops5
    Free Member

I’ve just sold mine, had 160mm Lyriks upfront. Found it perfect for all of the riding you describe – every now and then (and it was rare) I’d miss the longer travel of my old Covert – I’ve gone back to a Covert just because I fancied it – no reflection in the Nuke

mancian
    Free Member

Just looked at your post, £400. Gutted I missed out on that.

Found another in similar nick to yours, just wasn’t sure what’s it worth.

Sizewise, I’m 5ft 9 half inches tall. My current mega is Medium. Would a medium Tr be ok?

Any ideas what yours weighed when fully built?

rickian
    Free Member

I’ve got a 26” Mega Tr which I bought as a complete bike.
    I’ve ridden it locally xc, trail centres afan/Cwmcan and uplifted at BPW, Antur Stiniog and even Whistler.
    I like the bike and it is fun to ride but when it get proper rough, fast or steep down I don’t think it is that great.

But I guess for smallish drops, jumps and XC with an emphasis on the downs it would be a good choice.

For the kind of riding it is designed for I find the paint finish isn’t that great as I have a lot of stone chips and I also picked up an impressive dent in the down tube from a rock strike at Stiniog.

Full built mine weighs about 32lbs size small.

toys19
    Free Member

I have a size small with 150mm marz55 cr forks.reverb Ss wheels.30.8 lbs
    Its a pretty good do it all bike, apart from the squeaking.

honourablegeorge

Playing devil’s advocate here a bit, but is a 130mm version of essentially the frame that you have, with the same build, going to be that much lighter or much different?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Had a Mega AM found it dead until things got fast, steep and rocky and then it started to make sense. Then bought a TR and definitly was more suited to my local trails of up and down tight technical singletrack. Don’t miss the AM do miss the TR

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Does it need to be a Mega Tr as there are a lot of other frames that might be better suited for what you want. Such as Banshee, Transition, Knolly, Bird, On-One, Santa Cruz etc etc.

tops5
    Free Member

Mancian – I think it was too cheap sold in 5 mins whe. I put it on Fb!

They are great value for money the 26″ one is £600 odd on CRC

Not sure what it weighed but I know they use a lighter tubest than the AM great bike for all day rides

hairyscary

I’m 5′ 9″ with a 30″ inside leg and ride a large mega TR (26″). I would describe it as something like a large medium or a small large.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Playing devil’s advocate here a bit, but is a 130mm version of essentially the frame that you have, with the same build, going to be that much lighter or much different?

It’s not all that light tbh as a frame but the difference in suspension should make a difference- it’s a bit like my Hemlock, it weighs almost exactly the same in 120mm or 150mm mode but I find it miles more engaging and fun, and faster on the pedals, with the 120mm rocker.

Cool bikes- good idea well executed

Alex

Had a Mega AM found it dead until things got fast, steep and rocky and then it started to make sense.

Hmm. I have a Mega AM and think it’s a fun bike to ride anywhere, but way more fun when it gets a bit lively. The riders on the BPW uplift reckon it’s the perfect bike for there. The dead thing described ^^^ I got riding a n Orange 5. Entirely different convo.

One difference with the TR (against the old mega) is the TT is a bit longer on the TR. Not sure it’s going to be much lighter as has been said. Think you prob need a ride to be sure?

mancian
    Free Member

Cheers for the response guys.

The main reason for choosing the Mega Tr is price. I’m hoping to pick a frame up around the £500 mark. Can’t see me getting a covert, etc for that price. I’m on a budget. I was hoping to save at least some weight and have a faster bike on local stuff but could take the odd enduro. I only weigh 70kg and I’m not into big air or drops. Biggest drops I’ll be doing would be the DH run at Gisburn which has been used for the stages at the PMBA Enduro’s.

Obv though the peaks can throw up some pretty Knarly stuff ( beast, Jacobs) but I wouldnt be riding there much. The missus has put a stop to full days out (well most).

Does the Tr feel like it has more than 130mm on the rear?

mancian
    Free Member

I want a newer looking bike too, 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is a Nukeproof Mega Tr for me?’ is closed to new replies.