Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is a 29er DHF 2.5 much slower than a 2.3?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Sorry but haven’t posted a ‘which tyre’ thread for a while.
    Need some rubber for my new 29er, happy with a DHR2 on the rear but want something grippy but not sluggish up front.
    Have been using a 2.4 HR2 on my current 27.5 frame but would like to experiment a bit.
    Any one used both 2.5 and 2.3 DHF on a 29er is either much slower than each other and a HR2?

gwurk
    Free Member

Put the DHR2 on the front and something faster on the rear.

Northwind

It is slower, definitely. Sluggish isn’t the right word imo but it’s harder work. Worth it, if you like a big ****-off grippy boot like I do, but I think a pretty good proportion of everyone wouldn’t like it.

GW’s right, the DHR2 is good on the front too especially if it’s a 3C.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I have one of each on my bikes. I’ve never really noticed any more drag with the 2.5 (I’ll be honest – I’ve never give it any thought with a front tyre), but it does feel better with the bigger volume and it does have more grip.

I’m afraid I’ve not ridden a HR2 for a long time so can’t give any feed back there.

zelak999
    Free Member

Cheers Guys, i’ll have a little ponder.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s on the front, you’ll hardly notice it being slower. Yeah, it definitely is slower than the 2.3, you’d notice it on the back, but not on the front.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’m running a 29 x 2.5 DHF on the front of my prime on a wide 35mm carbon rim and I don’t feel it as being draggy at all, run a HR2 rear or a bonty SE5 in 27.5.

DHR2’s are meant to be pretty decent on the front so maybe try that?

I do like chunky monkey/smogarboard combo, if a little weak on the rear sidewall, but since running that huge DHF up front I’m struggling to move away from it.

chiefgrooveguru

I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference up front in terms of drag between the DHR2 2.3, HR2 2.4, DHF 2.5, all in 27.5 Exo 3C. The Shorty 2.5 is definitely slower though!

I notice the difference in drag far more on the back – that and my preference for the rear to drift more easily is why all my rear tyres are 2.3, usually DHR2 (Minion SS or Shorty for the extremes).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is a 29er DHF 2.5 much slower than a 2.3?’ is closed to new replies.