Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is a 29er bigger than the equivalent 650b or 26"
  • zap
    Free Member

Basically need a new bike for my son. So the question is would a 29er, size small frame say 15″ (looking at a 15″ 29er specialized hardrock on ebay) have a higher stand over height than a 15″ hardrock 26″ or 650b. Really lost touch as I don’t ride so much and still on 26″ wheels. Don’t really want to buy new. I have read all the pros and cons. but this particular bike seems ideal if the size is right. as its a surprise can’t really take him to LBS to check and really don’t like doing that if not buying. cheers

renton
    Free Member

I would say that it would as the wheel is taller.

Depends on how the top tube slopes though for stand over height.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think the wheels are. HTH.

br
    Free Member

Visit the LBS yourself and measure it?

roverpig

No reason why it should. 29ers usually have a larger bottom bracket drop (i.e. the bottom bracket is lower than a line drawn through the axles), to keep the BB height (and therefore the standover height) the same.

But it all depends on how the frame is designed, rather than just the wheels.

zap
    Free Member

cheers

khani
    Free Member

the only difference is bar height cos 29ers have longer forks and taller wheels so on small frames it’s harder to get the bars lower, hence inverted stems and stuff on diddy frames,

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Why don’t you just look at the geometry charts for the bikes you are considering?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is a 29er bigger than the equivalent 650b or 26"’ is closed to new replies.