Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Is 38 too old to skate?
  • dan74
    Free Member

Got an urge to treat myself to a retro cruiser 70’s style board
    Used to skate waaay back in the day
    Am i going to have to wait until summer for the early mornings to sneak out or sod it and go and have fun at my own expense
    Thoughts please 8)

davidjones15
    Free Member

What do you think?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Never too old to try anything it just takes you longer to bounce back.

noteeth
    Free Member

Skate or and die! 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if you want to do it, then do it.
    your age should have no bearing on your decision, if you’re physically able to skate then i say why not?
    since you used to skate “back in the day” (as did i), then i’m sure you’re not likely to really care what anyone else thinks about the things you do with your life!

Haze

Nope, not long dragged my board out of the loft and treated it to some new Spitfire’s.

Just need to find time to get to the skatepark…

dan74
    Free Member

Hell yeah , that’s the spirit!! the missus dented my confidence telling me to grow up
    Now a penny cruiser or alva?

foxski
    Free Member

IM 41 and last year came very close to buying a longboard,but the winter came and my dream driffted away :oops:,were do you live i will come out with you,let me no what board you buy dude nice 1

z1ppy

you know this is going to end badly, but have fun till then!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You’ve got another couple of years and then you’re too old to do anything which doesn’t involve wearing slippers.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’d go for the alva. but i had a couple of tony alva pro models back in the 80s too.

still got a toy machine jamie thomas sat in my spare room, not been out skating for at least 12 years but i’ve never said i quit…

bellerophon
    Free Member

You’ve got another couple of years and then you’re too old to do anything which doesn’t involve wearing slippers.

Oh crap, I’m 46 and still climb trees..

robbo
    Free Member

Just be careful. I’m 48. Seven years ago bought a longboard and loved it. Fifth time out trying to foot brake on a gentle hill caught my foot and thought I’d rolled the fall nicely like I used to. Got up to find compound wrist fracture. Ruined holiday to CA booked for that weekend

Wear as much protection as you can. It might not have been cool when you were first skating but now you don’t bounce so well. Be careful…

Haze

My gf said the same Dan, I’m just gone 40.

For no other reason than it’s an Alva, I’d go for the Alva…enjoy! 🙂

dan74
    Free Member

@foxski Based in Manchester

davidjones15
    Free Member

Don’t forget to dress and act like da kidz, innit!

wrightyson
    Free Member

My son had a street surfing party last week, I smashed it, loved it and peed all the kids off as I was carving the turns.
    😆

bellerophon
    Free Member

@Wrighty, show off 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

the missus dented my confidence telling me to grow up

Where’s the fun in that? Bought a BMX for my 54th birthday and got featured on the FBM front page 8) – beats slippers any day!

Wish I could skate 😕 – I did try bitd when my boys were into it but I have zero sense of balance 😡 . We’ll need pics of the new deck 8)

Moses

Mama – so cool.
    I just hope I learn to wheelie before I turn 60.

phatstanley
    Free Member

you’re never too old to play;
    you start to get old when you stop playing.
    😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

Me too Moses 😆 – keep trying eh?

scruff
    Free Member

My children seem most impressed that I can skate, but they are only 2 and 4. Im 40 in a few weeks. Im mentally still a skater, but my ankles, knees and beergut think otherwise.

samuri
    Free Member

Starting to skate in your late thirties?
    Go for it! What’s the worst that could happen?

dogbert
    Free Member

Never too old, some people just get older quicker than others

I personally still wear skate trainers and hanker for a skateboard and a BMX. I’m 36 but still 17 in my head. My car may be boring and my house be of the mortgaged persuasion, but i’m not dead yet

Gonz is still skating
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m2cI4-Fqx8&feature=related[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve spent the majority of my life skating… but I’m too old now. 32.

julianwilson
    Free Member

There is a therapist that works in another department who is in his early fifties, has a long grey beard and rides a longboard. General consensus at work is that he is slightly cooler than he is uncool. But only just 😉 .

chomp
    Free Member

you’ve still plenty of time

get your ass over to M.A.S., tons of people on there much older.

I started again about 2 years ago after about 18 years off the board and haven’t looked back (discounting the broken humerous which had me off the board for 6 months).

It’s a boat load of fun, and once you start seeing all the old boards you used to covet being sold for crazy money you’ll hate yourself for not keeping them 🙂

TiRed

Learned to RipStik at 43. What’s not to like. It does take longer to heal when you fall off. But I can ride a half pipe (just).

sparkyrhino

He’s possesd to skate 😈

stratobiker
    Free Member

38??? No!!!

I’m 56, and I still use my Hobie slalom board to run some steam off the dog.

Skate on!

SB

jam-bo

35 and got a kalani robb flexdex hiding in the shed.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

It’s a boat load of fun, and once you start seeing all the old boards you used to covet being sold for crazy money you’ll hate yourself for not keeping them

this is true.

my mate just sold a well-used 20+ year old SMA Natas deck (the panther graphic one), complete with drill holes from rails he had fitted and a well delaminated tail, for about £150 on ebay!

keefus
    Free Member

BOLLOCKS! I’m 65 on the 21st of this month and its on my ‘bucket list’.
    Just f88king get on with it you tart.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i noticed that sports direct are selling vision street wear shoes, so i got me a pair. i was very excited, they’re the first pair i’ve owned! and now i’m tempted to get a board, though i was never particularly good. i think i landed on my arse more than on the wheels whenever i ollied up a curb! i’m also a little scared of being seen doing it. saughton skatepark ALWAYS has kids on it, even during term-time. but if you can get over all this, then go for it! 🙂

fluided
    Free Member

Go for it I started again and now have a mini pipe in the back garden love it get home from work and have a skate, my 3 yr old rides his balance bike on it all the time.

foxski
    Free Member

DAN im in the midlands what a blow,go and get a board and skate 😆

phatstanley
    Free Member

saughton skatepark ALWAYS has kids on it, even during term-time

mostly true.
    but not at 7am during the week.
    i’ll soon be starting my pre-work skates again. often get the park to myself or mebbe share it with one or two people.

which is great if you’re learning new tricks or are feeling generally shaky…

don’t delay, man. get a board and get down there!

stratobiker
    Free Member

BOLLOCKS! I’m 65 on the 21st of this month and its on my ‘bucket list’.
    Just f88king get on with it you tart.

Word!!! 🙂

MrKmkII
    Free Member

haha, perhaps i’ll see you there one morning, stanley! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Is 38 too old to skate?’ is closed to new replies.