Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is 25% discount for an "ex-display" bike a good deal?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Described as:

Halfords Display model that has been used in store for customers to look at.
    This bike may have a small scratch and marks due to the nature of being on display in the showroom.

I think every new bike I have bought is an “ex-display”, as the bike I actually got was the one I was looking at in the shop. SO it seems like a good deal.

keithr
    Free Member

Can’t see a downside – it’s not a trashed return, and like you, most bikes I’ve bought were on display when I bought ’em – full price…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes assuming it has just been used like that

not great if a demo or trial bike which is essentially second hand

butcher

Depends with Halfords. They might be about to put the entire line on sale at 25%, hence the discount. I once looked at an already discounted bike (25%). They only had one in stock which was the display model. And it had had a defect quite obviously filled and touched up. They offered me £30 worth of products for that. Walked away when they refused my BC discount.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are they already doing the occasional 20% off all bikes? If so, it’s great to get another 25% off.

If not, I might hang on myself.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

25% is a fairly standard end-of-season discount, so depends how much you want the bike and whether it actually shows any damage, as you OP and keithr say if you buy a bike from an LBS it’s ‘ex-display’.

Walked away when they refused my BC discount.

I’ve always managed to use it on already-reduced items but that might come down to the store ( so have had a 17 quid Bell Stoker, 22 quid Shimano AM41s).

singletracksurfer

That’s pretty good tbf.

Swinley bike hire are selling off their old HIRE bikes (so used a lot) @ around 20% off!

There are usually some great deals, 30%+, on last year’s model bikes, new/un-used if you keep a look out though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Just to add, it’s not from Halfords directly but through a 3rd party.

Not sure how they got a hold of it?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Is the third party a proper business or just a private sale.
    I’d want to know what happens with the warranty

binners

[video]https://youtu.be/P-NgeXl-PPA[/video]

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ex-demos I’d expect about a third off, so ex-display similar or less depending if it has actually been ridden on trails (unlikely with Halfords. Maybe around the shop or car park, but that’s about it).

I’d also expect full warranty, and being Halfords, a full on service and reassemble by someone competent as almost certainly it’s been assembled by a total idiot.

via a 3rd party though, I’d be more likely to walk away unless it comes with the full warranty etc. Sounds fishy to me. Unless it’s a factory outlet kind of set up for Halfords.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Got near 40% off a shop model at my LBS.

ctk
    Free Member

Halfords do discounts like that all the time and you get a warranty.

andy4d

I got 43% off a new bike at Crc, 33% as it was last years model plus 10% British cycling discount 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is 25% discount for an "ex-display" bike a good deal?’ is closed to new replies.