Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is 2.4 a bit much to ask of a 26" arch ex
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Thinking chunky monkey.
    Cheers all

scandal42
    Free Member

I run a cm on a crest with no issues at all.

davewalsh
    Free Member

O-O recommends a minimum of 19mm so you should be fine.

james
    Free Member

Dunno how big a chunky monkey comes up, but a 2.4″ Schwalbe seems alright for me. Going by the size of a 2.25″ maxxis/on-one and how much bigger they come up than a 2.25″ Schwalbe, I’d guess a 2.4″ maxxis/on-one would come up a bit bigger again
    Oh and if they’re still there and you come across them, don’t buy the 2.4″ Schwalbe Fat Albert TLready’s on on-one. I fell for them and they’re the older 2012 ones that don’t fit onto stans rims.
    Newer 2013 onward (what crc has) fit fine

Remember stans claim the 21mm internal archEX has an ‘effective’ internal width of more like 25mm because of the BST2 way the rim holds the bead, ie it doesn’t hold very much of it so its not pinching it in anything like the same way say a mavic does

nuke

Is 2.4 a bit much to ask of a 26″ arch ex

No, not at all…good combination IMO. I’ve run a 2.5 minion a Crest and that was fine and the Crest has the same internal width as the arch ex

doom_mountain

I run a Chunky Monkey on an Arch Ex, I am still alive 😉

james
    Free Member

a 2.5″ minion is I reckon ever so slightly smaller than a 2.25″* maxxis/on-one

*new** tread maxxis (advantage, crossmark, ardent, others)
    **apart from newest high roller 2, minion dhr2**** which have gone smaller, but not as small as old*** tread maxxis?
    ***high roller, minion dhf/dhr, others
    ****haven’t actually seen one of these, but am assuming will be the same as the HR2, given released at the same time and the lineage with the original smaller older tread versions

fathomer

I run a 2.35 hans dampf on Arch Ex’s with no problems. I know you said 2.4 but the dampf is a big tyre 😀

davewalsh
    Free Member

Re: the comparison between the CM and Schwalbe, The 2.4 CM is slightly smaller than a 2.4 Nobby, I’ve run both on the same wheel & fork and the CM had slightly more clearance. Note: the NN fell to bits within 6 months but the CM is over a year old and still looks new 🙂

nuke

a 2.5″ minion is I reckon ever so slightly smaller than a 2.25″* maxxis/on-one

I’ve a 2.5 minion, chunky monkey, smorgasbord plus various other maxxis tyres…a 2.5 minion is probably on a par with a 2.4 chunky monkey and definitely bigger than a 2.25 smorgasbord

robhughes
    Free Member

Superb and thanks gang.
    Been searching for recommended sizes for the arch and got nowhere.
    Already have a couple of smorgasboard so should be a nice combo with one outback. 😀

swanny853

Its a good combination. If you’ve already got the smorgasbord mounted I found the cm about 3mm wider across the knobs and about 1mm across the carcass. I was bored….

superfli
    Free Member

Oh and if they’re still there and you come across them, don’t buy the 2.4″ Schwalbe Fat Albert TLready’s on on-one. I fell for them and they’re the older 2012 ones that don’t fit onto stans rims.
    Newer 2013 onward (what crc has) fit fine

Sorry, OT, but I bought FAs from OnOne about 18mths-2 years ago. So I would think its the 2012 version. Been fitted to my ArchEX since I got the rim (12mths ago). Not had any issues on Flows either.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is 2.4 a bit much to ask of a 26" arch ex’ is closed to new replies.