Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Is 100mm enough
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Morning lads and ladies,

Just typing as I’m thinking here. I currenty ride a 26in 120mm full sus. I’m looking at going 29er for my next bike as the mojority of my riding consists of long days XC in the Peak District and some XC racing. Most of the 29ers that i’m looking at are only 100mm full sus and I’m wondering if the bigger wheels will make up for the lack of travel?

I’m a sucker for fast descents so dont really want to compromise on the downs.

Cheers

timbur
    Free Member

Is 100mm enough??
    Maybe I’m getting old but the question in my head is, “Is 100mm too much?”

I’m sure you’ll be fine with 100mm and big wheels. You might need to ride the corners rather than straight line them though 😆 (only joking)

sandwicheater

I went from 150mm RS Revs on a On-One 456 to 100mm Reba on a 29er Scandal.

To start with, I really missed the extra travel/position but like most things, you quickly get used to it and now I rarely give it a second thought. 100mm is fine.

Would I go for more travel? Probably. Do I need it? No

jairaj

if you look at the 26″ equivalent or the older 26″ versions to the 29″ bikes they will usually have 10 – 20 mm extra travel.

this seems to suggest that going from a 120mm travel 26 bike to 100mm travel 29er bike should be fine.

but remember travel is just part of the puzzle, geometry that suits your riding is also just as important.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

The Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 Carbon ticks all the boxes. But at that price…!

Cheers for your input people

benji
    Free Member

It’s plenty, for a XC 29er, love my AnthemX 29er, it’s all the travel it has, and rides superbly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Is 100mm enough’ is closed to new replies.