Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is 100mm enough?
  • Prophet2
    Free Member

Reverb 100mm post owners, are you happy with your length? Or do you wiah you had gone for the 125mm post.

I think that 100mm would be sufficient for my mincing around the trails but would be keen to hear from STWers who have said post.

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it the same price? How much room do you have?
    125mm post owner but it’s more about the frame and you rather than the drop. If you want to there is a silver collar that comes with it that you can limit the drop.

cp

Have you tried just dropping your seatpost by 100mm from your normal pedalling position and seeing if it’s any good?

Prophet2
    Free Member

100mm is cheaper. I’ve got a Yeti ASR5 so I figure there is enough room in the frame. Previoulsy I have had a 3″ Joplin3 dropper and it usually was more than enough. Sounds like I have solved my own question but it’s nice to have expert insight!

Trimix
    Free Member

Some times you need to drop your post as far as your frame will allow, so depends on your bike and how far your post sticks up.

In the Alps a friend of mine had a post that he couldnt drop enough, so he had to lower it in the frame, which meant that when it was up, it was not up enough.

Basically, get the longest one, then your never caught short.

If you have gone to the trouble to buy a dropper, make sure it does the job all the time.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m happy with 100mm but I haven’t tried 125mm. I was happy with 75mm too and I don’t think I really noticed the difference.

johnhe

I have a 100mm GD and a 125mm Reverb. I would strongly recommend 125mm – the extra gives a lot of flexibility IMO. I can set the seatpost almost too high, for those extreme climbs where I need all the help I can get. Or 1/2″ down for general climbing, or 1.5″ down for riding along. But most of all, fully down on my 125mm reverb feels a lot more out of the way than fully down on my GD.

cookeaa

Why not just try dropping your post 100mm and see how you get on, if it’s not enough then drop it another 25mm.

You only need to be able to operate a ruler for this little trial…

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s plenty, most times I’m doing semi-pedally ST anyway and only use 15-20mm.

125mm would be a pointless upgrade for me.

D0NK

johnehe how do you manage with the 1/2″ up or down thing? Surely it’s a bit tricky to get it just in exactly the right spot? Don’t you end up with it at slightly the wrong height for most of the ride?

are 100mm any lighter? Will probably end up getting a reverb at some point and (assuming the length would fit all my bikes) I’d probably get the 125 model

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Friend of mine has a gravity dropper turbo, in the frame as far as it will go, at full extension it is too high for her. Fortunately as its a turbo she has the 1″ drop position which is spot on.
    I believe that this is the issue that will decide whether you should have 100mm or 125mm. How mush post do you have out of the frame at your max. climbing position?

mattjg
    Free Member

I believe that this is the issue that will decide whether you should have 100mm or 125mm. How mush post do you have out of the frame at your max. climbing position?

Well no, but it does eliminate 125 if maximum insertion plus maximum extension is higher than the ride height. I know when mine is up I want it fully up (no faffing or thinking), not up then down a bit for comfort.

BearBack
    Free Member

Depends on your riding and what you expect your bike will turn into when the saddle is down.
    For me, I just want the saddle out the way far enough to be able to get off the back without trouble and still be able to pedal without being on kids bike. 0-50mm is all I really use and can’t remember the last time I slammed my dropper all the way down.
    If you want to drop all the way and create a mini dh bike, then more is needed.
    I ordered the shortest travel doss, but brain farted that the 4″ post is 2″ shorter than the 5″ post.. So while I will still only likely use the smaller drop setting, I still need the longer post to get enough minimum insertion

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got a 125mm drop Reveb and only use the full drop for ‘proper’ DH type stuff. Anything else that is fun gets just over a half way drop – that way I can still kind of pedal if needed but the saddle isn’t in the way. I don’t think I would have felt short changed with a 100mm drop but by having more I have the option of full or partial drop.

saxabar
    Free Member

Other way around for me. I have a 125mm, but would like a bigger drop for the steep stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is 100mm enough?’ is closed to new replies.