Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Iron Maiden on BBC4
  • dmiller
    Free Member

Superb so far!

dmiller
    Free Member

Live after Death is teh commuting album for tomorrow!

billybob
    Free Member

it is quite good fun, but watching this & that Metallica documentary, I can't help but think of Spinal Tap

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    billybob
    Free Member

& Bruce Dickinson seems to be the only band member who has realised that fashion has changed slightly from Maiden's heyday…

grumm
    Free Member

Not enough toms on that drum kit. 🙂

rickmeister

And the pilot of the plane is a band member…

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

They had better get it on iPlayer. Heavy Metal Brittania tomorrow, too.
    Damn my lack of TV…

SST
    Free Member

I have their double DVD of videos. Great stuff and very nostalgic. Saw them at Donnington in '88 – 107 000 capacity I believe. 2 people were crushed during the Guns n Roses set.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Isn't there a whole Metal night on BBC4 tonight, documentaries etc, culminating in the Maiden gig?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Saw them at the Red Lion, Leytonstone High Road and doubt if there were 107 people there

dmiller
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Isn't there a whole Metal night on BBC4 tonight, documentaries etc, culminating in the Maiden gig?

Why yes, yes there is, thank you!

Must get beer on the way home!

BillMC

Blimey, the Red Lion. You could drink six pints of Watneys in there and go home stone cold sober. I was in the same class as Stephen Harris in primary and secondary school in Leytonstone and Leyton, nice guy but very quiet then.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And my wife happens to be going out for the evening.

Funnily enough it was my mum who alerted me to this televisual feast – I brainwashed her with my music as a teenager and she has never recovered (she still really likes Maiden's NOTB) 🙂

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

You may know me too then Bill, I also went to Leyton County High at that time

duckman

Heh-heh,saw them at the Caird hall in Dundee in 1980,500 there.NOTB,one of my fav albums of all time.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

NOTB

The only album I, quite literally, wore out. It was so badly scratched that I bought a second copy on vinyl. I would come home from school and listen to it again and again and again and again. No wonder my mum likes it 🙂

(And saw them live on the Beast on the Road tour as a 14 yr old, head in the bass bin as I thought that was what you 'did').

🙂

BobaFatt
    Free Member

the mighty Maiden, saw them a few times but the first time was when my dad took me as a 13 year old to the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour at Edinburgh Playhouse……..i "moshed" all night while he sat beside me with hankies stuffed in his ears

oh yes 😀

DaRC_L

Yep big NOTB fan here – I got to see them at Roskilde Rock Festival with a whole bunch of crazy drunk Norwegians

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They were superb at Monsters of Rock doing their Fear of the Dark Stuff, but sometimes I wish I was a little older to have seen them do Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son live.

beej

Headlining Sonisphere festival this year, my metal loving GF is dragging me along…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Check the listen again for Radcliffe on Radio 2 last night. I am not knowledgable on metal but they did play Breaking The Law and discuss the rise of metal. It was worth listening to for the Brummie accents.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Breaking the Law – amazing track. Was listening to Hell Bent for Leather on my way into work this morning though 8)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Much prefer the earlier stuff from Sad Wings Of Destiny such as Genocide and Tyrant

jond
    Free Member

Yeah, some of the early Priest stuff's corking…tho' some of the later stuff is too:)

It's worth checking out the 'Halford' albums (and Two for that matter) – some of the best albums Priest have never made, iyswim…

I used to like Maiden in the very early days (Di'Anno plus a bit)….but they were on at Download a few years ago, and I wandered off to one of the other tents 😮

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah, some of the early Priest stuff's corking…tho' some of the later stuff is too:)

Yeah – I love Judas Rising on Angel of Retribution. Great drum track. 👿

SST
    Free Member

The "Unleashed in the East" album is excellent.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Didn't think much of it as a live album, too heavily remixed and no audience participation apart from the odd scream here and there

Much prefer Live After Death (perhaps a bit too much scream for me long beach)UFO Strangers in the night, Scorpions tokyo tapes or one of my favourites Big Country without the aid of a safety net

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I must be getting old!

I bought my first Maiden album, it was Killers when i was hmm about 13/14yrs old. First saw them live on the Powerslave tour in 84 or 85 and was completely blown away!

Fave all time track is 'Still Life' from the Piece of Mind album.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

My best mate was the official photographer on that tour. Some awesome stories!

It's worth checking out Flight666 too 😉

BobaFatt
    Free Member

watching it now and they;re doing Wasted Years, that's brought a lump to my throat (goes to look for the Somewhere In Time album i have on vinyl)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Y'know, last couple of yrs i've been dealing with clinical depression.

'Wasted Years' actually tells me to MTFU and live my fookin' life!

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Maidens MINT

PePPeR

Woohoo, I was so tired last night that I went to bed and hadn't realised this was on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=iron%20maiden

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just finished watching the documentary and I have to say – what a conceited c*ck Bruce Dickinson was. Yes you may be a technically better singer than Dianno but he was and will remain (IMO) a singer with more style and character than you will ever hope to have.

(Although I did have a lump in my throat at the end when they showed people piling in to the sold out Beast on the Road tour when 'metal went stratospheric' – I was there for my first ever gig at Bradford St George's Hall as a 14 yr old in my home-made Maiden tee). 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I thought Bruce was OK. I don't listen to them anymore but was a fan for a decade or so. I didn't know he could fly those things so that with his music and fencing achievements makes for an impressive chap really.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't get me wrong – he is clearly very intelligent (public schoolboy and all that) and that came across well, but to say what he did was a bit insulting to a fellow musician – he said something like 'when I first heard Iron Maiden I thought the musicianship was great , but I thought the singer was rubbish and thought I could do better'. Now that might (technically) be the case, but to say that in an interview was a bit knobbish IMO.

Which is a shame because I have always thought him a nice guy (and he rates my mate's band – he has played them lots on his Radio 6 show 😉 ).

mikey74
    Free Member

'when I first heard Iron Maiden I thought the musicianship was great , but I thought the singer was rubbish and thought I could do better'. Now that might (technically) be the case, but to say that in an interview was a bit knobbish IMO.

I don't believe that was quite the quote, I remember it as him saying "I loved the music but I thought it should have been me up there singing instead", ok it may ultimately mean the same thing but that kind of confidence is what you need to make it as a singer, and perhaps make it at anything in life.

I have nothing but respect for Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson and they are one of the few bands that make me feel like a giggly kid again.

By the way, Bruce is actually a commercial airline pilot when he isn't touring and I have heard that they actually have to fit their tours around his flying schedule.

Bunnyhop

Not only is Bruce Dickinson a pilot, he is a commercial airline pilot with Astraeus ( or was, the airline may have gone bump), as we flew with them a few years ago. At the time he was also a D.J. at radio 2, I like him alot 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

A friend of mine used to fly with him regularly (he's a pilot too) and they became quite good friends. Bruce invited him to concerts quite often and they watched from the side of the stage.

nbt

I watched the Heavy Metal Britannia program last night, it was ace. Half way through Flight 66 on IPlayer and still have the Maiden Live concert to watch too, a televisual feast to savour. Iron Maiden was the second gig I ever went to, I think, Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour at the Manchester apollo, age 16, with Killer Dwarfs supporting. ACE gig

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Iron Maiden on BBC4’ is closed to new replies.